Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP - the end approaches......  (Read 21104 times)
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »

Run what works for you. There is no "correct" operating system.

On that note,  I can't wait for this thread to get locked. Smiley

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »

Linux: I don't want another hobby. That's why I bought the Mac. I want things to simply work as far as my computer goes at home and the Mac does simply do what I require. In my experience, getting Linux to do everything I require for personal computing takes too much time and effort. And there is no reward for doing so.

You wear the Apple Straitjacket well...  Wink

Just kidding...  I had too...  Sorry...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »

What is this? Operating system wars? Geesh . . .

Run what works for you. There is no "correct" operating system. I have been using Windows or DOS since 1987 so I have used almost every version that's has been released. Windows Me was horrible as was Vista though I know some people like Vista.

My main personal machine is a Mac running Mountain Lion.  My work laptop is currently Windows 8. I have a desktop at home running Windows 7 as another laptop. I have found, in my case, Win 7 to be the most stable version I have ever used. Less blue screens and system problems for me that any other version I have tried.

Linux: I don't want another hobby. That's why I bought the Mac. I want things to simply work as far as my computer goes at home and the Mac does simply do what I require. In my experience, getting Linux to do everything I require for personal computing takes too much time and effort. And there is no reward for doing so.

It really boils down to this. What application software do you need to run? Answer that, and that will influence your operating system choice for you.

If you want to run XP, fine. When I ask people why they insist on running XP, they never have a technical reason, it's always been they simply don't want to upgrade. Ohh they tell me all kinds of things, but there has never been a technical reason  . . . . Some people don't like change. That's OK.

Yes, and with your comments you have also contributed to the "os wars".  Or do you think you are exempt from the criticism you level on everyone else even though you commit the same sins?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:43 PM »

But seriously, I've been thinking of re-purposing my XP desktop to give Linux a try.   
If you are serious, write me off list, and I can point you at a few decent distros to choose from...

Thanks,
Dave
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »

Looks like when the FCC dropped the code requirement, they should have replaced it with a requirement for a diploma from Charm School.  But, alas, that would only apply to licensed hams, wouldn't it?  Smiley

73 de wb0ksl
John
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »

Looks like when the FCC dropped the code requirement, they should have replaced it with a requirement for a diploma from Charm School.  But, alas, that would only apply to licensed hams, wouldn't it?  Smiley

73 de wb0ksl
John
snap!! 

Thanks,
Dave
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:33 AM »

Run what works for you. There is no "correct" operating system. I have been using Windows or DOS since 1987 so I have used almost every version that's has been released. Windows Me was horrible as was Vista though I know some people like Vista.

Actually there is a correct OS if you want it to be supported and support later standards and security concerns. ME was troublesome I will give you that. As far as Vista, I never had any problems with it and still like OS better than 7 in some ways and not in others. The "problem" with early Vista was it was ahead of the hardware at the time and some vendors, like Dell, rushed to market with wrong hardware. By time Vista reached SP1 and hardware improved Vista was fine. As long as you run 32 bit Vista on 2gig or more ram and 64bit on 6 gig or more with a minimum of a dual core CPU it is very solid. Win 7 is basically a tweaked Vista on mature hardware where dual core and 2 or more gig of ram is the norm now.

My main personal machine is a Mac running Mountain Lion.  My work laptop is currently Windows 8. I have a desktop at home running Windows 7 as another laptop. I have found, in my case, Win 7 to be the most stable version I have ever used. Less blue screens and system problems for me that any other version I have tried.

To date I have found 64 bit Vista with 8gig on a quad core the most stable with 64 bit 7 a close second. I have never had to reload a 32bit Vista or 7 machine either. 

I think you are likely to find more support for Linux than MAC. Because of Apple closed source mentality it limits the platforms growth. Open source of Linux promotes more apps and drivers to be written long term. As long as you set your sights lower and do not require much and want a simple computer a Mac can work well for you. My daughter has a Mac Book Pro and I have used in many times but I find it handicaps me and I me dislike the single button mentality of apple products too from phones to computers.   

It really boils down to this. What application software do you need to run? Answer that, and that will influence your operating system choice for you.

If you want to run XP, fine. When I ask people why they insist on running XP, they never have a technical reason, it's always been they simply don't want to upgrade. Ohh they tell me all kinds of things, but there has never been a technical reason  . . . . Some people don't like change. That's OK.

The problem is resisting change is counter productive. Computer software and hardware is evolving and allowing you to do things not possible even a few years ago. Hanging on to XP will not stop change and it will make change later (and you will have to change one day) even more painful as you will be even further behind. XP RIP.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:36 PM »

Yes, and with your comments you have also contributed to the "os wars".  Or do you think you are exempt from the criticism you level on everyone else even though you commit the same sins?

No not immune . . . Just differing in opinion . . that's all.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2013, 02:42:40 AM »

What? No, no, no.
You buy the most current rock bottom priced  Dell or HP, overloaded with all the extra "conveniences", and antivirus product that makes it even slower, then you replace your printer, fax, camera because they are "too old" m then you replace all the software you used to run  and then.....and then you call it progress and try to get everyone else to make the same mistake and
 you tell them how much you loooove explorer 10 because after all, it's "new" !

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2013, 05:30:25 AM »

What? No, no, no.
You buy the most current rock bottom priced  Dell or HP, overloaded with all the extra "conveniences", and antivirus product that makes it even slower, then you replace your printer, fax, camera because they are "too old" m then you replace all the software you used to run  and then.....and then you call it progress and try to get everyone else to make the same mistake and
 you tell them how much you loooove explorer 10 because after all, it's "new" !

Stay away from Dell, Founder wants to take it private and get out of consumer PC business and focus on servers and software so future support is in question.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »

Stay away from Dell, Founder wants to take it private and get out of consumer PC business and focus on servers and software so future support is in question.

Yea that really makes Dell something to possibly stay away from.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »

Yea that really makes Dell something to possibly stay away from.

Its going to happen, major share owners are just arguing about final price of take over. Dell never had great tech support in past so any further cuts will render it ineffectual. 

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »

But since everyone here is tech savvy, what can any PC company's tech support do that you can't figure out yourself or glean from the Internet?  It's not like tech support will help you setting up your sound card levels when your Signalink USB PTT stops working.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »

But since everyone here is tech savvy, what can any PC company's tech support do that you can't figure out yourself or glean from the Internet?  It's not like tech support will help you setting up your sound card levels when your Signalink USB PTT stops working.

The point is as OS evolves OEM has to update base level drivers. Dell is going to be a orphan soon and should be voided s a long term solution 

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »

I still mainly run XP. Also use Linux Mint on a laptop and "Easy Peasy" on the Asus Netbook. No plans to upgrade to Windows 8 (I doubt Win 8 would run on my low to medium end XP machines anyway).

And I refuse to buy any new computer with Windows 8. Perhaps Microsoft will come to their senses and go back and release a normal OS like Win 7. Otherwise I'll just continue to run XP on my main computers or migrate more to Linux.

For the older Operating Systems, Windows 2000 was/is a good performer and still useful for some applications. And Windows 95 and Windows 98 can run older packet radio applications (and logging programs) as well as Win 2000 and XP using hyperterminal.

Just because the OS is dated no reason to stop using the computer. I'm sure non of us would toss out their Icom IC 706 MKIIG rigs because they are discontinued by Icom.

As long as I can get around the internet safely, I don't care what the OS is (as long as it is NOT Win 8 )  .
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:16:36 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: