Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 month antenna experiment results  (Read 783 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »

AB test results with a homebrew 66ft.New Carolina type windom antenna flatop at 23 FT.height with bottom of vertical radiator 13 ft. above ground,coax fed and no tuner.Last spring I put a 16 ft. long aluminum extension ladder directly underneath and parallel to the hoizonal wire and centered directly underneath the hanging vertical radiator.On both 20/40m QRP results were further dx contacts,consistant higher RST reports with ladder during many on air AB test(going out and removing ladder and putting back) same positive results when I tried isolating the ladder from ground by setting it atop of 5 gal. plastic buckets.I can only conclude that the presence of this ladder is having some type of combination better ground or reflector effect on either the horizontal or vertical radiator or maybe both.I will soon be removing the ladder and in it's footprint I will bury 14 16 ft. long wires and see what happens.Antenna and ladder is in back yard out of sight so no greif from the XYL.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:54:04 AM »

For years many HAMs who participate in "local" nets especially on 75M have put a wire under their half wave dipole.  Their belief is that if the wire is of proper length and properly spaced under the dipole it will act kinda like a 2 element yagi pointed straight up. 

I do not know about the theory of such an antenna, but those who use them seem to have stronger LOCAL signals than those who do not - everything else being equal.

Dick  AD4U
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: