Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PowerWerks  (Read 2889 times)
KS4TL

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2013, 05:06:33 AM »

Their website looks nice, seemed like a good place to order a custom power cable for my IC-7200. So I did, carefully selecting the new 4-pin Molex required by the 7200.  Sent a quick email and got a reply confirming that it was indeed the connector for the 7200.

Get an email invoice for the correct cable. Open the box, the shipping slip is for the correct 4-pin cable. Pull the cable out - and it's a 6-pin Molex cable for the older Icom transceivers.

Pathetic. How hard is it to count pins on a cable, for goodness sake? Or to check that what you put in the box matches what the shipping papers say?

Of course, I discovered this only when I went to hook up my rig for some portable ops on what was supposed to be a little ham-style mini-vacation. Silly me - I had trusted the contents of the box to be what I had ordered. Should have checked before packing it.

Anyway, anyone know a competent outfit who makes up custom cables? Ideally, one with shipping people who can count and read?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 05:19:17 AM »

I would suspect that the error was because of the popularity of the six pin molex connector--and the employee simply grabbing the popular connector instead of the one you need.  A phone call to Powerwerx ought to straighten out the problem.  They may simply ship you the correct connector--and tell you to keep the other one.
KS4TL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 06:03:41 AM »

No offense, but when you flag - twice - on the order form that you want a 4-pin connector, AND you send a separate email stating that you have to have a 4-pin connector, NOT the 6-pin one - then you really shouldn't have to deal with a screw-up like this. And given that I specifically needed the cable for a trip last week, and paid for it to be overnighted to me - this isn't the sort of thing Powerwerx can make right.

I simply won't be dealing with them in the future.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »

Dealt with Powerwerx for a number of years and in that time I have had one minor mistake on an order, solid core wire was sent instead of stranded. I emailed them about this and the correct wire arrived a couple of weeks later along with a note to keep the solid core as a free sample.

Nice people.

Tanakasan
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:16:17 AM »

No problems with any orders.  I think you need to give them a chance to correct the error BEFORE you decide to go into a public rant.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »

I think you need to give them a chance to correct the error BEFORE you decide to go into a public rant.

+1

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KS4TL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:53:35 AM »

I'm delighted for those of you who have had good experiences with this company. You should, by all means, share your opinions.

I did not have a good experience, and I will continue to share mine.

I also believe that the ability to get things right the FIRST time is a valid measure of competence. For example, I have, at last count, placed 16 separate orders with DX Engineering. They have yet to make a single error on an order. Not one.

Companies that really care can manage this.
KF7GFL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »

I bought a bunch of stuff from PowerWerks and everything was shipped perfectly. I turned one of my buddies onto them and felt bad when the Wouxun HT he bought stopped transmitting. PowerWerks replaced it in an efficient manner and my friend appreciated their customer service. Sometimes people make mistakes and it is unfortunate that the OP got the mistake when he needed the correct cable before his trip.

Of course, one has ask the question as to why he waited until the last minute to make the order. Sometimes it can't be helped as trips come up unexpectedly or things break right before they are needed. However if the OP is like me, he probably kept putting off the order until it became an emergency. When that happens, it really sucks to admit that I actually am part of the problem.  I do learn my lesson (at least temporarily) and next time I don't wait so long to order stuff.

Matt - KF7GFL
KS4TL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 06:35:13 PM »

In the credit-where-credit-is-due department, Powerwerx responded to my emails this evening. They are shipping me the correct cable at no charge, and have refunded the money i spent for expedited shipping on the incorrect cable. They also stated that they are reviewing quality control procedures with an eye to minimizing the chance of a repeat.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 07:38:37 AM »

Anybody can make a mistake.  To brand a company incompetent when some order picker just grabbed and packed without double-checking doesn't do justice to that company.  It is the fault of an individual--and only the fault of the company if that individual IS the company.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 07:55:38 AM »

In the credit-where-credit-is-due department, Powerwerx responded to my emails this evening. They are shipping me the correct cable at no charge, and have refunded the money i spent for expedited shipping on the incorrect cable. They also stated that they are reviewing quality control procedures with an eye to minimizing the chance of a repeat.

Doesn't it make you feel like a jerk now? It was an honest mistake, the company made good and you just had to smear them like a fool. Sorry, like you, I call it the way I see it. Maybe next time you will think before you open your mouth.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:58:12 AM by K2GWK » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: