Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Antenna Farm again  (Read 18186 times)
K7RNO

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:48:45 AM »

I so wanted to be happy with them, despite all the negative press in this forum. But I guess John Holbrook has some attitude issues that he can't keep under wraps. So, when there are disagreements with the order, he goes off on his standard rant, which has nothing to do with the issue hat hand.

Latest example: I ordered several connectors for about $30. For shipping, I selected the "best way" option for $9.95 and suggested in the comments box that I won't mind receiving them in a jiffy bag by USPS, if that would go quicker.

Well, four business days after placing the order, I received my shipment per 1st Class Mail (just from Montana to Utah, mind you). Not exactly what I had asked (and royally paid) for.

When I asked him for his underlying thoughts of sending it this way, neglecting what I had requested, and when I audaciously asked if, maybe, a refund was coming my way instead, I got this rant:

Sir, nobody twisted your arm and made you enter your credit card information and push the buy button on the website. When you press buy you agree to the price. If you don't like the price then you are free to shop elsewhere.

This is what's called "responsibility for your own actions"...something that is completely forgotten about in today's "cradle to grave" entitlement mentality.

Please....for the sake of everyone around you; grow up and at least try to act responsible...

The overpaid shipping cost was not a big deal for me, and the pocketed amount won't make him much richer. So why does he do it, and why does he retroactively flip you the finger for expecting a fair and ethical business behavior? He never answered that. In my book, that's a fair weather business that works fine as long as there are no differences. But as soon as a customer dares to utter a doubting question, he gets slammed, insulted, ridiculed and mocked for falling into his trap.

As I also told him, this was a very inexpensive lesson for me to not ever trust him again. I had done so in the past, like many of you, who may post now how happy they are with his dealings. Well, so was I.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »

I think his response was immature, but 1st Class Mail is "USPS." 

Did you check the postage indicated on the 1st Class shipment?  Maybe it really was $9.95 (or so).

To me, "USPS" would normally mean "Parcel Post," which can take 7-10 days anywhere within the U.S. and is their cheapest rate.  1st Class is considerably more expensive.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »

wb2wik, USPS is the carrier and does not specify any particular service.
1st class from his shop to my home, with tracking, for this 6 oz envelope, would have cost me under $3.50. Through his business account it was probably less. More importantly, 1st Class is not the "quicker" way to ship, as I had requested.

Within the collected shipping charges of $9.95, he could have shipped Priority Mail in their small flat rate box, even saving on packaging material, have it picked up at his location, and getting it to me one day quicker. His cost for that would have been around $5.15.

I cannot argue (and am not arguing) with him about what I paid for shipping. That was my choice. I am arguing the way he shipped, and then, when I asked why he disregarded my written request, and whether there might be a refund to make good, I got no answer to my question but instead the insult that I quoted below.

It is not surprising that his BBB rating out of A - F is F, with F being the worst possible.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:05:22 PM »

You checked "Best Way" which left shipping method up to him. You don't have a complaint about that.

Was his response justified, no way.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Clif

My 2 cents worth
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »

You checked "Best Way" which left shipping method up to him. You don't have a complaint about that.

Sorry, please re-read the last part of paragraph 2 of my OP and let me know which part was not clear.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:14:49 AM »

Sorry, 'BJM, but I agree with 'IPF.  When you check 'best way' you DO leave the method up to him.  Keep in mind that most internet storefronts combine picking, packing and shipping under "shipping", so you paid for the package and his time besides the cost of shipping it.  If the package would have cost the shipper more, you would still only be liable--and paying for--for the $9.95 you agreed to.  That is what a flat rate 'best way' shipping method means.  

He could have just as well sent it parcel post--with a longer shipping time and lesser cost, but then you would probably be complaining about the length of the time it took to receive the package.  He sent that small package in the fastest and best way it would take to get it to you.  

As to his response to you, yes, he could have been more civil, but as your complaint was not really justified in the first place....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 04:21:42 AM »

This is what paragraph 2 says:

Latest example: I ordered several connectors for about $30. For shipping, I selected the "best way" option for $9.95 and suggested in the comments box that I won't mind receiving them in a jiffy bag by USPS, if that would go quicker.

If you didn't notice, he shipped it in exactly the way you requested.  Allowing 24 hours for the preparation and delivery of the package to the post office, it took three days to get it to you--well within an expected delivery time for first class mail these days if you allow for the transfers at at least three post offices--and more than likely it was more than that.  
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »

Responding to the recent comments in summary, I agree that I could have been more specific by requesting Priority Mail and not leaving it up to him to decide what "quicker" means.

That said, I want to focus again on my core issue: his response to my legitimate question on why he chose the slower shipping service when I had requested "quicker" and had paid sufficiently for it.

Here is the scenario as I see it:

The Antenna Farm is an online retail business. John Holbrook is a business man, in the business of selling stuff. In order to be successful, he needs to satisfy his customers (within reason), so they will come back.

I, as one of his customers, want certain merchandise from him and am willing to pay for it. Would I rather have it sooner than later? You bet. Would I rather be respected for trusting him with my business? You bet.

When a customer requests a quicker shipping method but is not specific to the very service (here: Priority Mail vs. 1st Class), and when that customer agrees to pay a very generous amount for a lightweight, small shipping item, should said business man interpret that as "as slow as possible" or "as quick as possible" within the financial framework? "Best way" for him, or "best way" for the customer?

So, after this business man decided to choose the slower option (best way for his profit, against the interest of his customer), and when his customer then asks him why he decided this way, so that his customer can make an educated decision on how to handle future business with this merchant (or not), then I, for one, would at least expect a response to the core question. None was given. Instead, Mr Holbrook added insult to injury.

Sorry, I cannot say it any clearer than that.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »

Couldn't have said it better k1cjs.  OP who are you to try to "force" the guy to give you a refund because you didn't agree with the amount. You pushed the button. Like the guy said you can choose who you order from. So don't order from him again. Doesn't mean you have to stomp your feet like a 2 year old on the internet and trash the guys business. Whether he is a good or bad guy to deal with I dpn't know I've never dealt with him. You don't realize how much things like this hurt a business. Like I said good or bad. You think the guy is getting rich in selling to hams? You need an education.  What's next you going to call your credit card company and get a chargeback on him? Sure that costs $50-150 out of pocket. Non refundable. You probably already did.

Sorry, 'BJM, but I agree with 'IPF.  When you check 'best way' you DO leave the method up to him.  Keep in mind that most internet storefronts combine picking, packing and shipping under "shipping", so you paid for the package and his time besides the cost of shipping it.  If the package would have cost the shipper more, you would still only be liable--and paying for--for the $9.95 you agreed to.  That is what a flat rate 'best way' shipping method means.  

He could have just as well sent it parcel post--with a longer shipping time and lesser cost, but then you would probably be complaining about the length of the time it took to receive the package.  He sent that small package in the fastest and best way it would take to get it to you.  

As to his response to you, yes, he could have been more civil, but as your complaint was not really justified in the first place....
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »

n1cx, you come across like an internet jerk, but who knows, as a real person you might actually have some manners and communication skills.

You're posting in the wrong thread, dude. If you want to be a jerk on the Internet, at least learn how to use it. Or tell me where on earth I indicated that I tried "to "force" the guy to give me a refund because I didn't agree with the amount." Or where I said I "think the guy is getting rich in selling to hams."

Now take your meds and learn to read before you post!

Couldn't have said it better k1cjs.  OP who are you to try to "force" the guy to give you a refund because you didn't agree with the amount. You pushed the button. Like the guy said you can choose who you order from. So don't order from him again. Doesn't mean you have to stomp your feet like a 2 year old on the internet and trash the guys business. Whether he is a good or bad guy to deal with I dpn't know I've never dealt with him. You don't realize how much things like this hurt a business. Like I said good or bad.  You think the guy is getting rich in selling to hams? You need an education.  What's next you going to call your credit card company and get a chargeback on him? Sure that costs $50-150 out of pocket. Non refundable. You probably already did.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »

I think his response was immature, but 1st Class Mail is "USPS." 

Did you check the postage indicated on the 1st Class shipment?  Maybe it really was $9.95 (or so).

To me, "USPS" would normally mean "Parcel Post," which can take 7-10 days anywhere within the U.S. and is their cheapest rate.  1st Class is considerably more expensive.

I hate to tell you but Parcel Post to Hawaii takes 6 to 8 Weeks not days. I think Alaska is a little faster but not much. But 7 to 10 days for the 48 mainland states is the norm. Talk about feeling like a Red Headed Stepchild.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »

I would like to thank the Original Poster for doing his share in keeping Saturday mail delivery possible.
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »

AWESOME  Grin Grin

Kg7 whoever you are you owe the guy a PUBLIC apology....and I'll stand by what I said.  No need to reply I won't see it. Your on permanent ignore. Whoops time for your diaper change.

I would like to thank the Original Poster for doing his share in keeping Saturday mail delivery possible.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 05:04:02 AM »

'BJM, One thing you overlook is that Priority Mail also would have taken a couple of days to reach you.  'Priority' does NOT mean overnight.  Try this--call your post office and ask for shipping information for both priority mail and first class mail from your area to the area the Antenna Farm is.  You'll find that the shipping time for each is, for all intents and purposes, identical.  Another thing you seem to want to ignore is that first class mail used to be--and sometimes still is--priority mail.  If you wanted your stuff faster, you should have had it sent as an overnight or a second day package--and paid through the nose to get it.

Sorry, but I still think you're picking at nits here--and the Antenna Farm didn't deserve the hit he got here from you.  Three days (with the fourth as packing/shipping time) is plenty fast for the method that you chose--best way shipping, and if you check with any other business shipping things through the mail, they would more than likely ALL tell you the same thing.  73.  
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »

'cjs, thank you for the civilized tone of your post, it is appreciated. With the content, however, I beg to differ.

Who said that Priority Mail means overnight, as you now opine I had expected?
1st Class took 3 days shipping. Priority Mail would have taken two days. Both would have been well (very well!) within the paid fee. Which of those two is quicker, as was requested?

You say that my package was shipped well within "best way" that I chose and paid for. What, then, does "best way" mean to you? (In case you did not consider this, "best" is a superlative, meaning there is no better). And again, I did neither expect nor imply that I want this overnight.

Finally, since you had raised your points before in this thread, I just wanted to direct you to my response to them, with my post of 4/11 0929hr. That post still says all I really have to say. To help with focusing on the core issue, I take the liberty to quote from that post to highlight the main issue: when [Mr Holbrook's] customer then asks him why he decided this [slower] way, so that his customer can make an educated decision on how to handle future business with this merchant (or not), then I, for one, would at least expect a response to the core question. None was given. Instead, Mr Holbrook added insult to injury.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: