Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to work Marion Island  (Read 5891 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »

Without using a sked or a net Grin  Suggestions are welcomed.  The XYL says no more antennas.  I need it for an ATNO!

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »

Marion Island is the closest entity to my antipode. Even Bouvet, Heard and Amsterdam are closer.

When Pierre was there as ZS8M, I listened from Spring of that year (2010) until the Fall equinox. I knew that it seemed like either 20M or 40M would probably be the best chances. I checked all of the spots on DX Summit to see what the "patterns" were. VOACAP was not very encouraging, so I knew it would take some luck - and a ton of "monitoring".

South Africa could be heard nightly on 40M - especially Danie ZS3D - as summer faded and fall was near.

One night, mid September, I noticed that Pierre had been spotted on the East Coast, then the Central states, then Rocky Mountain states - and I have seen this "march across the US" before - and yes - it was a grey line phenomenon. This was a night time greyline, and as the signal crossed the states - each part of the US no longer heard Pierre as the signal "marched" across the states. It was a very regional thing. I am guessing that it had to do with sunrise approaching on Pierres side - because I have seen this - but only during the morning greyline before. Its the way lowband DX-ers make their own advantage.

I am sure that most West Coasters had long given up on ZS8M, or they were busy doing something else, because when Pierre's signal just broke the noise, only three of us were calling him in the pileup. One guy was a VE7, the other was a US West Coast station, and we basically took turns in gentleman fashion - which was important, because it took repeating callsigns several times for at least myself and one other fellow.

I was using a Bruce Array - bottom being 10' off the ground - about 3 dB better than a vertical, and oriented perfectly broadside in ZS8M's direction. I put that antenna up specifically for Marion Island. 600 watts - K3 and Ameritron Al-811H.

Of course, after that QSO I did hear Pierre on 20M - even louder, but I didn't even bother calling - the pileup was HUGE.

This QSO "avenged" missing Ludwig and Petrus - meaning the "third time was a charm".

Conditions are MUCH better today than when I made that QSO.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:14:44 AM by KY6R » Logged
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »

Fairly easy here. When Pierre ZS8M had popped up I just beamed south, one call, in the log.

I use DXWatch for alerts... for now. Cheesy
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »

Without using a sked or a net Grin  Suggestions are welcomed.  The XYL says no more antennas.  I need it for an ATNO!

Easy. Upgrade the XYL Grin

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:23:46 PM »

The XYL says no more antennas.  
Jonathan W6GX

When did you start listening to the XYL, today?   Wink

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »

Perhaps a 'downgrade' would be more appropriate.  I need a XYL that says 'yes' to everything ham-radio related Grin

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »

Thats what I did . . .
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »

The XYL says no more antennas.  
Jonathan W6GX

When did you start listening to the XYL, today?   Wink

Chris/NU1O

The problem is that she knows where the electrical breaker is for my shack.  Rather than 'pull the plug' she just shuts down the entire shack.  And yes she has done it before, more than once I might add.

Jonathan W6GX
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »

Why does she care how many antennas you have? Do you care how many shoes she has?
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:36:50 PM »

Marion Island is the closest entity to my antipode. Even Bouvet, Heard and Amsterdam are closer.

When Pierre was there as ZS8M, I listened from Spring of that year (2010) until the Fall equinox. I knew that it seemed like either 20M or 40M would probably be the best chances. I checked all of the spots on DX Summit to see what the "patterns" were. VOACAP was not very encouraging, so I knew it would take some luck - and a ton of "monitoring".

South Africa could be heard nightly on 40M - especially Danie ZS3D - as summer faded and fall was near.

One night, mid September, I noticed that Pierre had been spotted on the East Coast, then the Central states, then Rocky Mountain states - and I have seen this "march across the US" before - and yes - it was a grey line phenomenon. This was a night time greyline, and as the signal crossed the states - each part of the US no longer heard Pierre as the signal "marched" across the states. It was a very regional thing. I am guessing that it had to do with sunrise approaching on Pierres side - because I have seen this - but only during the morning greyline before. Its the way lowband DX-ers make their own advantage.

I am sure that most West Coasters had long given up on ZS8M, or they were busy doing something else, because when Pierre's signal just broke the noise, only three of us were calling him in the pileup. One guy was a VE7, the other was a US West Coast station, and we basically took turns in gentleman fashion - which was important, because it took repeating callsigns several times for at least myself and one other fellow.

I was using a Bruce Array - bottom being 10' off the ground - about 3 dB better than a vertical, and oriented perfectly broadside in ZS8M's direction. I put that antenna up specifically for Marion Island. 600 watts - K3 and Ameritron Al-811H.

Of course, after that QSO I did hear Pierre on 20M - even louder, but I didn't even bother calling - the pileup was HUGE.

This QSO "avenged" missing Ludwig and Petrus - meaning the "third time was a charm".

Conditions are MUCH better today than when I made that QSO.

Thanks Rich.  I had a G5RV strung  high (>40') when ZS8M was on the air.  I did a fair amount of listening.  However the I ever heard him was just a few mumbled words.  I never copied him well enough to call.  I never though it was a big deal as I had other two hundred plus countries to chase.  Now with a bunch of aluminum at 70' plus I have more confidence  The wildcard is the amount of QRV time by David and Carson.  I can't work them if they don't get on the air.

I'm amazing at the amount of work Pierre puts in in activating ZS8.  Word has it that there will be two other hams joining David and Carson.

Just curious, am I the only one here needing ZS8?

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 12:42:28 PM »

Why does she care how many antennas you have? Do you care how many shoes she has?

LOL.  She sees all of my hobbies as her competitors for my time.  Don't all women need a lot of pampering and attention?  I tried to explain to her that the larger the antenna and the less time I'll spent on the air.  That didn't go very far Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »

My XYL said no antennas on the house. The rest of the property, no problem!
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »

I need practically everything. Heck, I don't even have Australia confirmed yet.  Shocked
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »

I need practically everything. Heck, I don't even have Australia confirmed yet.  Shocked

Welcome to the, uh, undeserving club Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

Welcome to the, uh, undeserving club Cheesy

Working 'em isn't the problem. Working ones that use LoTW is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: