Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to work Marion Island  (Read 4420 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »

Welcome to the, uh, undeserving club Cheesy

Working 'em isn't the problem. Working ones that use LoTW is.
When you get closer to 300 then it becomes the other way around Wink  And welcome to the DX forum.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »

Welcome to the, uh, undeserving club Cheesy

Working 'em isn't the problem. Working ones that use LoTW is.

Nice picture of your new tower.  I was also 'freed' from the prison of the HOA Nazis.

Jonathan W6GX
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »

When you get closer to 300 then it becomes the other way around

Happy days when everything was new. I am tickling around 315 or so and they are few and far between now. There are a few that escaped, I worked them and don't have the card.

Mark N1UK
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 02:53:44 PM »

Just curious, am I the only one here needing ZS8?

Jonathan W6GX

You are not the only one Jon. I need it myself for a ATNO. I think Pierre was just winding down his operation before I got my beam up. Up until then, all I had was my 43' Vertical. I'm hoping my 3-el SteppIR at 72' will be enough to snag one of the new operators. However it looks like they are going to be limited on their antenna and I don't think they took a amplifier. It's probably going to be a challenge for us.

John K7KB
YO3GJC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »

hehe...I upgraded few years ago, result is "va3jut" lucky me loool

73 de ve3gno Daniel
Without using a sked or a net Grin  Suggestions are welcomed.  The XYL says no more antennas.  I need it for an ATNO!

Easy. Upgrade the XYL Grin
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »

I need it and I didn't even know there were OPs on Marion but as I've already admitted my hobbies switch orders when the Boys of Summer suit up.  It happens every spring.

Good luck and what's been the best time to work them and on what band?

When confronted with difficult problems I look to history as a guide. I think you need to treat domestic affairs much like foreign affairs. Your language should always be firm and your manner confident no matter how close you are to buckling at the knees. A long protracted Cold War could bust your treasury and also be very isolating. If budgetary cuts are needed international broadcasting is always the first expenditure to be slashed. Many stations facing the same problem have shut down completely.

My advice is to treat the XYL as Kissinger and Nixon did the Soviet Union. Offer a detente. 

I would also suggest brushing up on Machiavelli because I am certain you are underestimating the abilities of your XYL.  Pickup a copy of "The Prince" at the closest Barnes and Noble and give it the same level of attention as you did "Array of Light."

Good luck and prepare for a long and arduous campaign.

Chris/NU1O

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 06:31:46 PM »

I just see my post didn't have one wink in it.  I was having a little fun with Jon. I hope most realized that, although the detente suggestion is probably the best route.  Wink

Chris/NU1O
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »

Jon, what you need to do is send her on a nice vacation somewhere warm. When she comes back there's a 72' tower and a nice Force-12 array in the back yard. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 07:33:14 PM »

With my first wife (who hated my antennas) - when she left to go on week long business trips, I would literally be crouched down the hill next to the house ready to put up new antennas. As soon as I couldn't see the rear lights on the car - that was it.

She usually didn't even notice for days or even weeks. By that time it was too late - the antennas done got stuck up dere.

One time, after she left, I had arranged for a guy with a tractor to come and prepare the ground for a 4 square (this is when I lived on 5 acres towards the top of the ridge).

She never found out about the 64 buried radials at that house.

I don't recommend this approach - but it sure was fun and funny.

My new wife says my antennas are "invisible". Big upgrade for me!
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »

The higher they are the less obtrusive they become. Seriously. My array, when all the way down, looks like a gargantuan mechanical spider hovering over the house. Up at 70 feet it's  just like an overgrown TV antenna.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 08:20:39 PM »

With my first wife (who hated my antennas) - when she left to go on week long business trips, I would literally be crouched down the hill next to the house ready to put up new antennas. As soon as I couldn't see the rear lights on the car - that was it.

She usually didn't even notice for days or even weeks. By that time it was too late - the antennas done got stuck up dere.

One time, after she left, I had arranged for a guy with a tractor to come and prepare the ground for a 4 square (this is when I lived on 5 acres towards the top of the ridge).

She never found out about the 64 buried radials at that house.

I don't recommend this approach - but it sure was fun and funny.

My new wife says my antennas are "invisible". Big upgrade for me!

Rich,

When you eventually move (to Bend as I recall) are you going to erect a real tower fully dressed with your dream antenna?

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »

The higher they are the less obtrusive they become. Seriously. My array, when all the way down, looks like a gargantuan mechanical spider hovering over the house. Up at 70 feet it's  just like an overgrown TV antenna.

That's exactly how I got away with a two-element mini-beam in a HOA controlled community.  It looked just like a TV antenna mounted on the roof.  Although I had to take it down three months after I put it up.  It wasn't due to the HOA Nazis but because I had to move to Colorado.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »

Jon, what you need to do is send her on a nice vacation somewhere warm. When she comes back there's a 72' tower and a nice Force-12 array in the back yard. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

My dream station would consist of a second 72' tower with a Bencher Skylark for the WARC bands and an 80 meter rotatable dipole.  Currently I have no resonant antennas for 12m, 17m, and 80m.  My current tower is pretty much at its capacity.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »

Absolutely! The Skyhawk is a lot bigger than my old A3S and it looked like a monster on the ground but at only 55 feet up it doesn't appear very big.  If tower prices simply doubled when the height doubled I'd be legal limit on that, too.  

Chris/NU1O
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »

Without using a sked or a net Grin  Suggestions are welcomed.  The XYL says no more antennas.  I need it for an ATNO!

Jonathan W6GX

1. Learn the propagation openings on the bands for which you do have antennas; pay particular attention to long-path openings.

2. Study the habits of the operators (after they are QRV) so you know when and where they are most likely to appear; combine this with your propagation knowledge to stake-out frequencies on which the Marion ops are likely to appear when you have propagation.

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: