Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW Amateur Radio Severe WXR Network lloking to form in IL.  (Read 2386 times)
W6PC

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »

There is a new severe weather spotting group in the process of forming in Central Illinois.  Here is further information;

•   Intended name of organization: Illinois Severe Weather Network
•   Type of Organization: Weather Spotters (not storm chasers)
•   Affiliations (all to be arranged) ARRL Club, NWS, SkyWarn
•   Service area,
-       Moline, east along I-80 to I-57
-       I-57 south to Champaign-Urbana
-       I-72 southwest to Mississippi River (@ Hannibal, MO)
-       Mississippi River north to Moline

It the organizers stated purpose to create a club which is fun to be a member of and participate in, which actually utilizes amateur radio for the good of our community(s).  It is intended that there will absolutely minimal rules, egos, costs and meetings.

Reason for the organization and stated purpose:

There are a number of clubs and organizations within our specified service area who participate in severe weather spotting.  Many of these are excellent, well run groups. They are however; largely unaffiliated and unassociated when it comes to the specific task of severe weather spotting. 

This is a way, our primary hobby, amateur radio can be directly utilized to save lives and prevent injuries to our friends and neighbors.  Through our efforts, the possibility exists that additional warning time can be provided during critical severe weather events.  Even if this time is measured in seconds, it could mean the difference between life and death. I can think of no more noble use for our radio hobby!

The newly formed group will absorb the Plains DX Society and call sign WW9EE.  In addition to outright weather spotting, the group may also become involved in remote “weather-cams” and remote weather stations via packet radio at the member’s behest.

We are currently gauging the Central Illinois interest level for such a group.  If enough interested amateurs are willing, it is our intent to schedule an organizational meeting within the next 30 days in Central Illinois.

If you are interested, please drop and email to ww9ee@aol.com

We will acknowledge and place you on our email distribution.  Thanks for your interest.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »

If you go to the NWS Sullivan WI web site, it has a good section on how the "system" is set up for SE WI. It may give you a few ideas to help with your organization as you start out and grow.

Best of luck!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 05:06:26 AM »

I would suggest that one of the first things to do is to get in touch with your local Nat. Weather Service bureau and find out if there is a Skywarn or a weather spotter group in existence in your area already.  If there is and they already have some sort of association with the NWS, your group may not be as welcome, and any attempt on your part to form such a group may be met with resistance from both the NWS and the other group.

It isn't so much that they do not want such volunteers, it may simply have to do with that other unpleasant fact that exists in all too many places these days--politics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: