Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Active Ham Loggers?  (Read 2917 times)
WH7DX

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »

I was wondering how many hams really take a look at their logs / data and use the tools like QSO by Country, Band, States, Counties, Zones & Bands, International + 20 more items etc.

eQSL says 210,000 registered users.
LOTW says about 56,000 so far.

Looks like about 3500-4000 logs submitted for the big contests.

Probably another 1-2 times that play around and don't submit.

I'm wondering what the market size is for Ham Radio Software in the U.S. and Internationally.

How many really care to look at their data. 

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 07:53:04 PM »

I am always slicing and dicing my QSO data, obsessing over totals, etc. I use DX Base and DX Lab Suite in combination with one another. I like 'em both, but I'd pay serious money for the right logging app (single app, not a suite) that was the grand-daddy of them all in terms of catering to very high-end DXers. Support for multiple radios, antennas, rotors, fast and easy database updating, Lists and Labels integrated for custom label creation, Crystal Reports integrated for any combination of report items desired, full support for the DX Marathon, 5B WAZ and including all the application forms that can be filled from the screen, bandmaps, etc.

Essentially, cross N1MM with DX Base and I'd be a very happy man. I'd pay a king's ransom for such a beast.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:05:10 PM »

I use Navicat just to log, but use the ARRL reports for my DXCC Stats, and also like the Clublog reports.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »

I like 'em both, but I'd pay serious money for the right logging app (single app, not a suite) that was the grand-daddy of them all in terms of catering to very high-end DXers. Support for multiple radios, antennas, rotors, fast and easy database updating, Lists and Labels integrated for custom label creation, Crystal Reports integrated for any combination of report items desired, full support for the DX Marathon, 5B WAZ and including all the application forms that can be filled from the screen, bandmaps, etc.

Providing all of that functionality in a single application can make for an unwieldy, difficult-to-maintain architecture. Compare the rate at which reported defects are corrected and new capabilities are released for monolithic applications vs suites.

Dave, AA6YQ
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 12:45:38 AM »

If I were Elecraft..  creating a top of the line logging program that worked just with their hardware could be interesting... very tight..  similar to Apple and Microsoft.  What if they introduced some very unique features....

I'm using DXKeeper now and I'm impressed.. it could use some enhancements and simplifications here and there but well done.

I'm wondering how many people use N1MM for contests worldwide?   50,000? 

It's clear that they export to a General Logger because ClubLog shows hardly any direct downloads.

The data that Club Log provides concerning what software is uploaded to ClubLog is telling.

ClubLog has almost 18,000 Users.   I like their QSL report with Countries Confirmed or Worked and Calls signs to contact for confirmation.   That's nice.

Logger32 has the lead in just about every category.  New operators are going with Ham Radio Deluxe.

I might download and play with Logger32 which appears free to see what it offers.

QST > 150,000 subscribers.  CQ Magazine goes out to about 60,000

Starting to get an idea.

K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 03:33:41 AM »

Probably a good idea to look at lessons learned from Ham Radio Deluxe trying to make the transition from freeware to commercial.  DXLab and N1MM are both free, phenomenal and phenomenally supported.

For day to day logging, I went from HRD to DXLab once HRD stopped evolving but HRD 6 fixed some of my issues. I'd pay fore something that combined the best of HRD and DX Lab but I don't think that is true of a lerger market.

John K3TN
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 06:47:50 AM »

My current modus operandi:

N1MM for all logging. Contest, DX, ragchew, whatever.

Export ADIF from N1MM to LOTW every few days. Import ADIF from LOTW to Clublog every week or two. Very occasionally, re-import ADIF of "LOTW confirmations only" back into N1MM (so it can highlight unworked DXCC band/mode combos as "mults" using its color coding with cluster spots while I am using my general purpose "DX" log.)

The thing that wins for me here, is that anywhere at any time I can check LOTW and Clublog from any PC or smartphone in the world. If I had to go back to my shack's PC to look something up... that would be very much a step backwards for me.

I use Clublog especially "DXCC charts" and "QSL charts" to see which ones I need to work, which ones I've confirmed, and which ones I've worked and need to confirm by paper. Clublog has OQRS links for many DXpeditions and that works out very nicely where available, and it keeps track that I've made the OQRS request. I do send a handful of direct paper cards for needed confirmations where LOTW and OQRS are not available.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:55:48 AM by N3QE » Logged
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:34:55 AM »

That's interesting. There must be many fewer DXers using eQSL than LotW, as I have nearly twice the countries confirmed on LotW compared with eQSL, yet the above quote indicates that eQSL has nearly four times the registered users of LotW.

I'm using HRD 6.0, and while it is not the be all and end all, I will stick with it as bugs are fixed and refinements integrated. It gives quite a few options of sorting data. I must read the manual, and learn how to use it properly.
ClubLog has some nice tools too.
Luke VK3HJ
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »

N3QE - I was using N1MM for everything and happy until I started to get lost in QSL cards and paper confirmations.

Clublog doesn't allow you to override the "W" with "C" for paper QSLs.   I decided it was time to switch to a general logger.   Not I can track and see when I send a card etc.

-----
K3TN - Yes, going from free to commercial isn't easy and it's impressive that there is so much free support - big positive.   I find myself using multiple tools to look at data.  Only one is online - Clublog.

----
VK3HJ - I think eQSL was introduced in 1996.   Great service and big money saver for many - easy to setup so big International market.   LOTW came out in 2003.   It seems to be getting legs.   If you're in a foreign country.. do you really want to send cards or get on board with LOTW? (I'm not familiar with Inter. awards) It has grown by about 3,500 in the last 6 months to about 57,000 now and I'm seeing more DX's coming in that didn't use it before.   I'd like to see them continue to beef it up.   It's certainly faster now. 

I need to follow up with about 40% of my DX Countries now and chase them down with paper and $.   At least now I can see what I need (nice feature in Clublog).   

There are about 21,000+ Call signs in the DX Century / Honor Roll ARRL list.

KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »

Clublog doesn't allow you to override the "W" with "C" for paper QSLs.   I decided it was time to switch to a general logger.   Not I can track and see when I send a card etc.

Hi Bryan - WH7DX,
I don't agree 100% with this statement regarding Club Log.  Although, you cannot directly enter for a confirmation on the Club Log web site, within your logging program if you have a "W" value for a particular QSO, you can change it in to "C" and then upload that to Club Log. I use the DXLab suite (DXKeeper for logging) and do this all the time when paper cards come in & have never run into a problem.

73 de Jim - KE8G

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:58:04 AM »

That's interesting. There must be many fewer DXers using eQSL than LotW, as I have nearly twice the countries confirmed on LotW compared with eQSL, yet the above quote indicates that eQSL has nearly four times the registered users of LotW.

Several years ago I registered for eQSL (maybe twice, using old call then new call), uploaded a log or two, decided I wasn't going to get anything useful from it, and have never gone back to use it again.

eQSL is certainly easier to register for, than LOTW.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:00:53 PM »

N3QE - I was using N1MM for everything and happy until I started to get lost in QSL cards and paper confirmations.

Clublog doesn't allow you to override the "W" with "C" for paper QSLs.   I decided it was time to switch to a general logger.   Not I can track and see when I send a card etc.

I keep a separate ADIF file for paper-confirmed QSL's that are important to me, I "merge" this in on Clublog over and above my LOTW confirmations. There are only a few credits that I have paper-only and it is not onerous to keep that ADIF up to date as the important paper confirmations come in. Others might be the other way around (wanting to track tens of thousands of paper cards) and I would agree that would be pretty onerous. While I have thousands and thousands of paper cards in the collection, the number that are important confirmations are only like 0.05%.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:02:55 PM by N3QE » Logged
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »

>>>Several years ago I registered for eQSL (maybe twice, using old call then new call), uploaded a log or two, decided I wasn't going to get anything useful from it, and have never gone back to use it again.

eQSL is certainly easier to register for, than LOTW.<<<

Roger, if you are only looking for a few then it's not a big deal.    I can see the attraction of turning that screen GREEN in ClubLog Country Report by Bands...   I was just looking at some of those 340 members.   That is impressive.   Some have near full contact even with 160M.

I've only been using electronic logs for 8 months or so.   Had a problem with Mac Air Laptop / Software and Computer connection.   Switched to older PC.

I started using eQSL and LOTW when I had a contact with a Ham and read his QRZ page asking others to use those services to save on postage for those on tight budgets.   It was a no brainer and I created accounts and was surprised to see a bunch of QSOs waiting for me in eQSL.

Now I'm wondering about a comprehensive online data analysis package with auto-backup.   I don't see anything comprehensive online with 50 possible data views etc...  WAS, Counties, International..  a scroll bar with demands like..  "Show contacts in Zone X by Band".   Show contacts in Prefix XXX by bands"...   more like what's offered in some of the logging programs but putting it all together and then some..  Club log is a little different but online etc.

A long time ago.. I programmed with Borland Paradox.   You could pull up a query and ask just about any question in seconds.    90% just want the questions there and want to click on it, but the concept of manipulating the data is straight forward and shouldn't be a big deal??

I'm still trying to figure out how to work with DXKeeper and pull out QSOs beginning at a certain date for example (I'm sure it's simple once I enter the right stuff)..  but with N1MM it was an automatic feature.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:19:35 PM by WH7DX » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »

That's interesting. There must be many fewer DXers using eQSL than LotW

Isn't the reason why obvious? LoTW confirmations count for DXCC; eQSL confirmations don't.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 02:03:48 PM »

Hi Bryan - WH7DX,
I don't agree 100% with this statement regarding Club Log.  Although, you cannot directly enter for a confirmation on the Club Log web site, within your logging program if you have a "W" value for a particular QSO, you can change it in to "C" and then upload that to Club Log. I use the DXLab suite (DXKeeper for logging) and do this all the time when paper cards come in & have never run into a problem.

73 de Jim - KE8G

I was referring to over-riding the log files in Clublog - making those the primary or key record - not the log file - unless told otherwise.  Not everyone is using log programs that keep track of confirmations or choose to do so.. (as mentioned here).   I can see the point of view of doing everything in the log though..

Interesting how real-time uploads into Clublog is almost all Logger32 (I can't get DXKeeper to upload auto - I get terminated error message and export to ADIF and CLEAR Import to ClubLog)

Also how DXKeeper is #1 for ADIF uploads.. followed right behind with HRD..

https://secure.clublog.org/software.php

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: