Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Significance of 1.805 MHz  (Read 5699 times)
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »

Got ghosts on 1.805 Mhz? ...Who ya gonna call?...W8QAS !  Grin
Sorry, I couldn't help it.
There are weird "goings on" from time to time, like when my flashlight refused to work in a particular room in a old house that I was in yesterday. Nothing moved around or re-tuned my radio though.
" I ain't skeered of no ghost"  Roll Eyes

N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »

Many years ago when I was a USAF radio operator, I was with a group sent to Australia on a several-city, good-will mission. Aircraft were set up and visitors walked around viewing it all.

In Darwin, a major storm occured. The radio was set up on the back of a 6x truck. Gear was Collins 75A4 and big KW. Antenna was a vertical. A flash of lightning hit some distance away. The truck and equipment became "hot". I shut down the station and killed the generator, then jumped down.

The rigs remained "live", the dial-lights glowed, and I think I could hear noise from the receiver.

Spirits, I think not.

Energy stored in the capacitors?

I don't remember the reason given at the time.
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 02:57:14 AM »

If you don't operate CW much, this is an easy one.  He's trying to get you to tune up your fist and use the first and oldest mode of all! 
K4AHO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »

I agree with N5XM, time to put the microphone away and put the key where it belongs, Front and Center.  Learning to use the bug would be a challenge I am sure but He would love to hear it back in action. If you are not a member I would recommend you consider joining SKCC.  Great bunch of guys and will give you all the help you need. You may want to consider building a "Legacy Station" that replicates the radios your Granddad used. I am the third generation coder in my family and believe it is important to Honor our ancestors.   I have built a "Legacy Station" my Dad used when he returned from WWII.  I am using a HQ129X and a Homebrew TX using a 6AG7 and 807 TX.   What a ball to operate.

Speaking of Ghosts, have you considered "Long Delayed Echoes".   Some have been known to have delays of years.   Not only that, if you cant hear the originating signal, how would you know it is a "LDE". I work QRP and I sometimes wonder about those weak and fluttering signals I heard that don't respond to my call. When I have the opportunity I try to immediately check the call on QRZ.   Once in awhile it is not in the database. Did I copy it wrong or is there something else afoot??

Things to think about just before you go to sleep.

Jim
K4AHO

N7DMA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 07:27:40 PM »

I'm with KV4BL. My Dad passed away 4 years ago, and he occasionally stops by to let me know all is well, and he appreciates me taking care of Mom. He wasn't a ham, and I get no CW from the rig, but he has his ways!

Cherish the contacts. Don't get freaked out. There is more to this life than we can ever imagine!

Amazing story! Consider yourself one of the lucky ones!

Karl
N7DMA
W8QAS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »

Hey thanks Karl.  It has caused me to try to learn more.  I have sent a letter to my cousins and hopefully I can get some answers.  No one in my immediate family has has any answers to questions such as what happened to the QSO cards, his license, when did he quit being a ham (is that even possible?).  How about did they ever see him use his equipment?  I have asked some good questions to start.  If I get answers, I will post them here.

I have been put in touch with a ham that has access to old records.  However, he wasn't able to offer anything new.  The cool part is that I may have information that he may not have that would help other people and hams locate information about hams.  That would be cool in and of itself just to help out someone else.  Either way, ham radio sure has been darn good to me and I relish every minute of it as well as every chance I get to pay it back or pay it forward.  I am not picky on either count.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Roy, W8QAS
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: