The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STOLEN CALLSIGN: K7CBA  (Read 962 times)
VK3BL

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:17:08 PM »

Just had someone claiming to be Joseph Harper K7CBA try and sell me some equipment when I placed a wanted ad on vkclassifieds.com.au

Checking QRZ.com there is no listed email.

Suspicion was drawn when the seller was overly generous on including postage in the price (its an 18 kilo amp), and upon checking Joseph's QRZ record he describes his station as "modest" with no listing of the equipment offered for sale.

Paypal only people... Smiley

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 11:29:55 PM »

Jarrad,

That's not a problem, I have both fedex and ups account that I can ship with and also my daughter works in a shipping company so that won't be a problem for me. This is not my first time of shipping items like this outside the states, I've sold more than 3 radios and amp to different ham member in Australia without any complain. Would you be interested in the spare tubes that comes with the amp? Also let me know your payment options? Pls note: the amp and spare tubes will be properly packed with foams inserts in 2 boxes, I will pay the extra $$ for FedEx or UPS packing. Also my daughter will be shipping the amp to you on my behalf as I am currently on a wheel chair and can't do much, I am just recovering from a recent hip surgery and only dependent upon the convenience of others.

Await your response

73, Joseph

1) What is a "Ham Member"
2) Who on earth would accept paying "extra postage fees" on an 18 kilo amp to VK?!

And lastly, when I asked for pictures and mentioned I could pay with PayPal:

Oh! Sorry, I can't accept PayPal

These scammers are getting good, and definitely playing upon the ham community who may not be as clued up as other internet users to scams.

WATCH OUT.  If you get an offer, always check their QRZ.COM page for an email address, and always pay via PayPal.

This particular scammer was also clever enough to find his K7CBA's previous call sign by googling K7CBA and looking at the FCC database!

Email address used: harperjoseph504@gmail.com
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:32:16 PM by VK3BL » Logged

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »

Also I later found out they used pictures lifted from QRZ.COM forums.  THESE WILL NOT SHOW UP IN A GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH.

This fraudster is VERY, VERY sophisticated.  Be VERY aware guys.

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »

Here is the ripped off photos:

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/tokyo-hy-power-hl-1k-a-hf-amplifier.412595/

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:22:26 PM »

It might be good to use Paypal but others have said to never use friends and family mode.

Fraudsters don't prey on people in their own country, that would bring local authorities down on them. Therefore they aren't all that familiar with the area and they misspell things and state things in odd ways...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: