Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you like to go on a DX-pedition (or another one) some day?  (Read 3033 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »

I used to think I did - now I realize I just like helping behind the scenes.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

Why, and when, did you change your mind? I was under the impression that a DXpedition was your ultimate goal.

I'd love to be on one of those islands in the Pacific but due to back pain I don't even want to fly anymore and I loved to fly - at least before the TSA.  I usually get out of the North East for a few weeks during the Winter but not the past two years.

Chris/NU1O
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »

I think I would like to go to at least a semi-rare DX location on a expedition someday as part of my Bucket List. Nothing major like Amsterdam, but maybe something like Cocos-Keeling, Christmas Island, Midway, etc.

John K7KB
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »

Absolutely YES!

Although my first experience with a DX-pedition was the recent ZL9 Campbell Island, I hope to get the opportunity to do a few more in the future.
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »

I have been talking with my XYL (KD8CMB) and I think we are going to go on a couple of "timid" holiday style DXpeditions... something not very rare to begin with, as I want to be able to do justice to it.  This will get my feet wet, and then see if there is a group out there that would like to have a strictly CW guy to add to their ranks.

I have always dreamed of going on a DXpedition; to somewhere that is in high demand and operate CW until I pass out everyday!  I am now retired; so I have the time, my health is pretty good and we have been blessed to have the means to make this dream come true!

73 de Jim - KE8G

KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »

I think I would like to go to at least a semi-rare DX location on a expedition someday as part of my Bucket List. Nothing major like Amsterdam, but maybe something like Cocos-Keeling, Christmas Island, Midway, etc.

John K7KB

My thoughts exactly.

Eric
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »

I would love to. Perhaps by the time I am retired (I am 31 now) I'll have the skills to be an asset.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »

Why, and when, did you change your mind? I was under the impression that a DXpedition was your ultimate goal.
I won't retire for at least 11 years. Until then, there is no way I could take off up to a month to go to a very rare one - or even semi rare one and then pay my own way. I certainly will donate and help those who do put these on and go.

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »

Yes!...but there are a few issues.....my fear of flying doesn't help, so I'd have to get over that....maybe get hypnotized or something to over come it......the other thing, and this is very important....NO COLD WEATHER LOCATIONS!!!!...PERIOD!!!....I get enough of that crap living in Pittsburgh.....

V
KA3NRX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »

I certainly would, but it's not possible at the moment.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 06:29:58 PM »

I would love too, however the horror stories about funding sort of scared me away from that!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »

SURE..... but only if I could turn the clock back 20 years or so.  Arthritis has pretty well taken  away most of the flexibility I once had, and from the neck to the butt is usually in pain, in varying degrees.  SO...... only in my deams now. Wink

73, Gene AF3Y
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »

Perhaps to 4U1UN.  Air conditioned, no mosquitoes, no foot-burning hot sands, no slow-going boat rides, no quarater-mile hikes to the potty, no noise or smell from the generators, etc.  Antenna is not working well?  Call the UN building maintenance crew Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »

Antenna is not working well?  Call the UN building maintenance crew Cheesy

Tell that to the guys that run the IARU beacon that's been off the air for a couple of years now...

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »

Perhaps to 4U1UN.  Air conditioned, no mosquitoes, no foot-burning hot sands, no slow-going boat rides, no quarater-mile hikes to the potty, no noise or smell from the generators, etc.  Antenna is not working well?  Call the UN building maintenance crew Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX

That would be a good one to hone skills on.  The biggest problem I see for American ops is the lack of time any of us get to run a pile up.  To be perfectly honest, the closest thing I have had, is field day which is partly at best compared to what a pileup in a "most wanted" country would be like. I have the utmost respect for the ops who can dig the weak ones out not just a few times, but 100s of times an hour for 15-18 hours at a time. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: