Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-897 CW Practice mode actually transmitting. (its shouldn't be)  (Read 1224 times)
KB1TXK

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »

No-code general here trying to teach himself morse.  Radio is supposed to have a practice mode...but its actually transmitting a signal in practice mode.

Looked at the manual (page 51), turned to menu 31 and set it to alpha+numeric code practice. Pressed "start" and it played some CW through the speakers.  The manual states that when I start keying, I should hear my code through the speaker and it shouldn't transmit.

I started keying and it started transmitting :| I did not hear my code through my speaker.  Little irritated about that.

Any idea what I 'm doing wrong? Radio was in CW mode.

EDIT: and i just realized the key only actually works when connected to the "acc" port and not the "key" port.  Using a three-wire stereo cable, ground on the ground side (duurrr) and the white wire (left channel) for key-down. Key is the plastic el-cheapo MFJ straight key.  Trying to figure out why it doesnt work in the port labeled "key",,,
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:20:15 PM by KB1TXK » Logged

KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »

Once again I've posted in a panic.  The RED (right) channel wire goes to the positive, shield to negative/ground (oops).  Key works in the "key" port now.

Practice = i hear my keying, but the fan still kicks on and the power display goes to full tilt. Need to find an SWR/power meter (its around here somewhere) to connect to the antenna jack to see if I'm actually transmitting or not.

So yeah, I was spazzing out.  Sorry :|

K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »

Matt,

Glad to hear that you're interested in learning Morse.  Don't let the learning curve (for Morse or the transceiver) discourage you.  Your transceiver is not broken, and the problem you have described is simple to resolve.

Your transceiver apparently has either Full Break-in or Semi-Break-in selected.  You must deselect break-in operation to practice CW without transmitting.  See page 30 of the FT-897 operating manual, where you will find the following instruction:

"5. To practice your CW sending (without transmitting),
press the (BK) key to make the “Parentheses” disappear.
Now, pressing the key will cause the CW side tone
to be heard, but your radio will not be transmitting a                  
signal on the air."

This is typical of many modern rigs.  The CW mode allows user selection of (1) Full Break-in operation (switching from TX to RX with little to no delay, which allows the operator to hear activity on frequency between Morse characters); (2) Semi-Break-in operation (the transceiver remains in TX for a period of time after the last character is sent - this delay period is user-adjustable); and (3) No Break-in at all (the transceiver does not go into TX when keyed, but the side tone is heard).

Good luck with your Morse practice. Between practice sessions, why don't you check out the Straight Key Century Club (SKCC) at this site: http://www.skccgroup.com/ SKCC members offer help and encouragement to newcomers to CW operation, including real-time skeds to get you through the first-time jitters.  73

Gary, K9ZMD
Ridgefield, WA

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:32:39 PM by K9ZMD » Logged
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »

Brilliant, thank you!!! God forbid they make mention of that on page 51 where they discuss the code-practice menu...

Seems to be my night...got an answer to my question and just discovered that a broken pro-64 handheld scanner that has been living in the back of a drawer has managed to heal itself and works just fine now after sitting in the dark for 4 years.

Your transceiver apparently has either Full Break-in or Semi-Break-in selected.  You must deselect break-in operation to practice CW without transmitting.  See page 30 of the FT-897 operating manual, where you will find the following instruction:

"5. To practice your CW sending (without transmitting),
press the (BK) key to make the “Parentheses” disappear.
Now, pressing the key will cause the CW sidetone
to be heard, but your radio will not be transmitting a                 
signal on the air."

This is typical of many modern rigs.  The CW mode allows user selection of (1) Full Break-in operation (switching from TX to RX with little to no delay, which allows the operator to hear activity on frequency between Morse characters); (2) Semi-Break-in operation (the transceiver remains in TX for a period of time after the last character is sent - this delay period is user-adjustable); and (3) No Break-in at all (the transceiver does not go into TX when keyed, but the side tone is heard).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: