Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRO Burbank disappointing!  (Read 6513 times)
W2SFD

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »

Let me say that I have never had a bad experience with HRO until now.   Salem and New Castle have been great, and have allowed me to order over the internet with special instructions to ship to NY from DE over NH if possible since the DE store will allow me to receive my order overnight with reg. ground shipping.   Nothing but good advice, other than my first PS purchase as a new ham in 2004.  They should have sold me the larger one I wanted instead of advising me a smaller one was what I needed.   

However, today, while searching for coax I found a some on HRO on consignment.  It was a good deal, so I called with a few questions.   I had to hold for a short time, which is no big deal.  Had my questions answered after the staff went to get the item, and ordered the item.  CC was charged on the spot.   I was sent my confirmation and all was good.   Several hours later, I was sent an email stating that the item was given to another ham prior, but since their system was "down" at the time, the order was not processed.   Okay, fine....however.... I went to look to see if the item was updated, and it was not.  At the top of the consignment page this policy is listed.....

Consignment Sales
Items listed on our Consignment Sales page are available on a first come, first served basis. If you are keenly interested in an item, CALL THE STORE listing the item and order it on the spot as it could be sold before we are able to process your web order. Items are not held each time someone inquires about them unless the customer requests that we do so and indicates an order is to follow immediately.

Details about our used, consignment, and open item pollicies can be found here.

While one of us was going to be disappointed, I believe that my phone call trumps the web order because of the above policy.   While it stinks that web order was not processed because their system was "down", good for the guy that called liked he was suppose to according to HRO.  I just felt the need to share this to hopefully prevent it happening again to ANY ham.  If you are ordering, know the policy, and make the seller back their policy.   I will still use HRO, but in the future I will be more careful.

73 de W2SFD
George

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 05:18:47 AM »

Not taking sides here, but the way HRO works, sometimes the sales people are so swamped with phone calls they hardly have time for anything else.  It's like that in Salem, NH.  Could just be that the system being down caused the shipping section not to get your order, and in the time taken someone else bought the item you ordered.  When the shipping section finally got your order, they went to get the item--but it was gone.  What are they supposed to do--chase the buyer and demand he bring it back?  Even if the system was up and running the same thing could have happened!

The only thing I see wrong is the way they charged your CC 'on the spot.'  They should have waited until the item was shipped, but that is picking at nits.  You did get a credit for the purchase.

Also, they update their consignment page on a daily basis, not whenever someone purchases an item.  They would need someone on their payroll full time just tending the webpage, and that's not reasonable either.  That's another reason why they urge a call, so they can let you know if the item is still available.  I've called a few times on consignment items and have been told the item was already gone.  Hey, that's the way it goes with consignment and one of a kind/'last one we have' items.  You take your chances, and sometimes you lose out.  73!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »

Details about our used, consignment, and open item policies can be found here.

Well, I went to the HRO Site and clicked on "here".
http://www.hamradio.com/used_csgn_open_info.cfm

We make every effort to provide accurate stock of each item,
however, we can not guarantee that items on these pages are available.

We normally update our used and consignment listings frequently, however at times
maintenance of our internal computer system may prohibit updating of this list.
We apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Unfortunate, but just one of those things.
And for some cheaper coax you found it necessary
to make a negative post about a first rate retailer without first:
1)Completely reading their consignment FAQ's.
and/or
2) Contacting management at HRO with your concerns,
and letting them know of your "disappointment"?
(Just call any HRO store and ask for the Corporate phone number)

Based on my experiences with HRO, if you had contacted their
corporate HQ they would have gladly sold you the same coax at the listed
consignment price just to keep you a happy customer.
In fact, I'd bet money on it.
Heck....call them, they still might.
73, Ken  AD6KA
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »

Well put, Ken.

HRO is a class act, and they're not getting rich selling ham gear, either.  Really good, reputable dealers like HRO need affirmation, not a public thrashing over something that didn't go well one day for a single ham who then lights them up on an international forum.

I'll use HRO until the cows come home.

W2SFD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »

Details about our used, consignment, and open item policies can be found here.

Well, I went to the HRO Site and clicked on "here".
http://www.hamradio.com/used_csgn_open_info.cfm

We make every effort to provide accurate stock of each item,
however, we can not guarantee that items on these pages are available.

We normally update our used and consignment listings frequently, however at times
maintenance of our internal computer system may prohibit updating of this list.
We apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

certainly, but read the consignment policy directly.   The item was in stock, he went to get it to answer my question.  So, at the time that I was ordering it on the phone, it had NOT been processed for anyone else.  Why?  Because the system was down, so that internet order was not being seen yet, and according to the policy, if you want it, you should call since the net orders may not be processed.   Seems to me, they took my order, and when the system came back up they saw the web order and reversed my sale, thus not following their own policy.  Make sense as to what happened now?

Unfortunate, but just one of those things.
Yep, said that.

And for some cheaper coax you found it necessary
to make a negative post about a first rate retailer without first:
1)Completely reading their consignment FAQ's.
and/or
2) Contacting management at HRO with your concerns,
and letting them know of your "disappointment"?
(Just call any HRO store and ask for the Corporate phone number)

Based on my experiences with HRO, if you had contacted their
corporate HQ they would have gladly sold you the same coax at the listed
consignment price just to keep you a happy customer.
In fact, I'd bet money on it.
Heck....call them, they still might.
73, Ken  AD6KA

I did read the policy which is how I figured out what happened.  The web order was not processed until after mine.  At that time, the web order should have been canceled.  Just as it would have if someone walked in and purchased the cable and walked out with it.   Lesson to me, call to order, not rely on the web with them.  Also, as for their net ordering, the inventory is updated pretty much at the time of purchase, so their disclaimer is just a fail safe for them, a good one when they follow it.  But in my case they ignored their own policy.

Yes, I am commenting on a first rate dealer over messing up my order.  Why should I not, they are not perfect, and it may help someone else have a better experience ordering something on consignment.  Also, you should not assume I did not contact them.  That has already happened, and it was about me expressing my disappointment that the policy was not followed.   As for getting LMR 400 at .50 a foot inc. shipping....HAHAHAHAHA, not going to happen.

Hey, I know you guys are HRO fanboys, but don't get all up in arms over someone criticizing them.  It's not like I said they were the worse ever, lah, lah, lah, not buy from them.....yak yak yak.  It was constructive criticism from a customer that has bought a lot of gear from them.   
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »

....HAHAHAHAHA,  lah, lah, lah, .....yak yak yak.     It was constructive criticism  

Really?

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »

As for getting LMR 400 at .50 a foot inc.
shipping....HAHAHAHAHA, not going to happen.

You don't know that unless you ASK, do you?
Never make assumptions.

The retail markup on coax sold per foot is huge, %100 or more.
HRO makes more profit in dollars selling 100 feet
of RG-213 than they do selling a $2,000 rig.
(Usually only $25-$30 dollars profit on a rig like that,
depending on the Yen exchange rate.) No money
to be made in selling rigs. It's accessories that make
the money.

Bob Ferraro, owner of HRO, is a wealthy and very diversified
businessman. (And a hell of a nice "regular" and approachable
guy with untouchable business and personal ethics). I've
met and talked to the man on a couple of occasions. When it
comes to HRO, he's a ham first and a businesman second.

He has holdings in commercial real estate, selling aircraft,
and several other businesses. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised
if HRO is his LEAST profitable enterprise. It was his very first
business venture after leaving the Caifornia Highway Patrol
and remains a labor of love for him, and his loyal and long term staff.

I'm sure if he wanted to consolidate and downsize his holdings,
any professional financial advisor worth his salt would advise him
the first thing he should unload is HRO! Huge overhead,
(inventory, rent, labor,rising shipping costs) and a small profit
margin in a depressed economy. You gotta LOVE your business
like that to keep it open these days.

I guess what I am getting at is that HRO doesn't need your money
and yet would even lose a few bucks at the expense of
losing a good customer.

Call me a "fanboy" if you wish, I've been called worse.
Better yet, call HRO HQ and see if they will honor the deal
you think you got rooked out of. If you have the stones......
73, Ken  AD6KA
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 04:02:03 AM »

...It was constructive criticism from a customer that has bought a lot of gear from them.   

Sorry, but it certainly didn't seem like that with the whole spiel you first posted.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »

...It was constructive criticism from a customer that has bought a lot of gear from them.   

Sorry, but it certainly didn't seem like that with the whole spiel you first posted.

I felt it was constructive but not something bad enough to go on a forum and post about.
I think you guys have really pounded him just for that, because if you go back and reread his post it's not like he was bad mouthing HRO as a company he was just talking about that transaction alone. And yes I read the part that he missed some sections of the company agreement etc etc.

I love HRO just like the rest of you but I think he over reacted and then you guys over reacted to his post.

Just my 2 cents
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 04:12:22 AM »

...I love HRO just like the rest of you but I think he over reacted and then you guys over reacted to his post.

Yep.  Probably true. 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »

MJR...

I hear (read) you.  I think what struck a nerve was that he started a thread, and then added to an existing positive HRO thread about the exact same thing.

His comments weren't the worst ever written I agree, but he was definitely out to do some damage...so the malice was pretty evident.  He hasn't been a ham for very long, and the rest of us have developed an admiration for those iconic dealers who've stuck with the hobby for many years.  Yes, they're big boys and yes, they're businesses.....but I just feel strongly that thrashing suppliers who operate on very thin margins to begin with, is really, really dumb.  If it were Radio Mart, well then....   

Oh well, time to move on.  I admire your peacemaking.

Best,
Brad, K9MHZ

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »

I am sure that they make more than 25 or 30 dollars on a 2000 dollar rig. If they only made that much profit I dont think that they could stay in buisness. Just my thoughts.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 04:19:56 AM »

They make the major part of their profits on add-ons and ancillary equipment, not on the rigs themselves.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »

MJR...

I hear (read) you.  I think what struck a nerve was that he started a thread, and then added to an existing positive HRO thread about the exact same thing.

His comments weren't the worst ever written I agree, but he was definitely out to do some damage...so the malice was pretty evident.  He hasn't been a ham for very long, and the rest of us have developed an admiration for those iconic dealers who've stuck with the hobby for many years.  Yes, they're big boys and yes, they're businesses.....but I just feel strongly that thrashing suppliers who operate on very thin margins to begin with, is really, really dumb.  If it were Radio Mart, well then....   

Oh well, time to move on.  I admire your peacemaking.

Best,
Brad, K9MHZ

I hate to give this thread a Bump but I just wanted to say thanks Brad for the kind words.

All the Best
Robert
KD8MJR
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 03:11:05 PM »

Let me say that I have never had a bad experience with HRO until now.   Salem and New Castle have been great, and have allowed me to order over the internet with special instructions to ship to NY from DE over NH if possible since the DE store will allow me to receive my order overnight with reg. ground shipping.   Nothing but good advice, other than my first PS purchase as a new ham in 2004.  They should have sold me the larger one I wanted instead of advising me a smaller one was what I needed.   

However, today, while searching for coax I found a some on HRO on consignment.  It was a good deal, so I called with a few questions.   I had to hold for a short time, which is no big deal.  Had my questions answered after the staff went to get the item, and ordered the item.  CC was charged on the spot.   I was sent my confirmation and all was good.   Several hours later, I was sent an email stating that the item was given to another ham prior, but since their system was "down" at the time, the order was not processed.   Okay, fine....however.... I went to look to see if the item was updated, and it was not.  At the top of the consignment page this policy is listed.....

Consignment Sales
Items listed on our Consignment Sales page are available on a first come, first served basis. If you are keenly interested in an item, CALL THE STORE listing the item and order it on the spot as it could be sold before we are able to process your web order. Items are not held each time someone inquires about them unless the customer requests that we do so and indicates an order is to follow immediately.

Details about our used, consignment, and open item pollicies can be found here.

While one of us was going to be disappointed, I believe that my phone call trumps the web order because of the above policy.   While it stinks that web order was not processed because their system was "down", good for the guy that called liked he was suppose to according to HRO.  I just felt the need to share this to hopefully prevent it happening again to ANY ham.  If you are ordering, know the policy, and make the seller back their policy.   I will still use HRO, but in the future I will be more careful.

73 de W2SFD
George

I work at HRO in New Castle on Saturdays. Consignment orders that are good deals, almost always sell immediately. There is no order priority on in-store, phone, internet. It as soon as it is rung up, it's deleted from the inventory. The system may have been down for many reasons. it could have been our system, the internet, power outage, etc. No way to tell.

But to criticize over an consignment item, is a difficult pill to swallow, since most often it is quantity of one, and as I said, a good deal sells almost immediately. Remember, there are 12 stores, that each have at least 3 cashiers/sales at each store. You are not the only one placing an order or calling or visiting the store. Hopefully, you can give us another shot.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: