Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 MTR LONGPATH QRP  (Read 2928 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »

There is one pattern now that I think about it.  The 10M LP opening often stays open for several days at a time so try the next few days at the same time.

Chris, I hope you're right about that.  I would like to think I could work EP3SMH sometime on 10 meters while enjoying my early am coffee.   He's been on 10 occasionally in the mornings here lately.  About an hour after the Far Eastern Asia signals disappeared Africa started booming into here on 10.

Randy

In October of last year the long path on 10 to SE Asia was open for 3 or 4 days in a row and on another occasion last fall or early this year it was open for two days. I think your best shot at Iran will be the SP, however.  Since 10 meters opened worldwide during this cycle I have worked many countries in the vicinity of Iran and they were all short path.  I have worked the Arabian coast long path but it was LP on 20M and during the previous 2 cycles. 

I did work EP4RF on 10M back in the fall of 2010 (October 5th @ 13:32) when that band was really hopping but it was a short path QSO. I'd love to get a QSL from Ali but he only uses Eqsl. Good thing I checked my log because I had forgot about that one. 

With Iran the problem is not that it's a very difficult path for those of us on the East Coast, it's the few stations which are active from Iran. I have also been looking to work EP3SMH.

Good luck and I'll be checking the band myself so you guys will have some competition.

Chris/NU1O
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 06:00:04 PM »

Chris, here lately EP3SMH has been on 10 meters around 7 to 9 AM EDT and 10 meters has been dead at that time.  So if you want to look for him, that would be a typical time to expect him on 10.  I need him for a bandfill and the good thing is that he does QSL.  I'm trying registered mail this time and I hope my card gets through and not picked up by one of the sticky fingers along the way.

Randy
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »

Chris, here lately EP3SMH has been on 10 meters around 7 to 9 AM EDT and 10 meters has been dead at that time.  So if you want to look for him, that would be a typical time to expect him on 10.  I need him for a bandfill and the good thing is that he does QSL.  I'm trying registered mail this time and I hope my card gets through and not picked up by one of the sticky fingers along the way.

Randy

Thanks for the tip. I have not heard signals from the Middle or Near East on 10M in quite awhile.  I watched a ball game and The Masters today but during the times I had the rig on condx were very bad.  I had the rig on 10M late this morning and only a few stations from SA were coming in. I guess the band went downhill right after the LP opening to Asia, or perhaps the condx enhanced or did not effect that LP path opening.

Are you moving to 7 land, Randy?  I see your call has been recently changed.

Chris/NU1O

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 07:23:16 PM »

Hello Larry and John, tnx fer ur comments, a bonus here was that I needed both of those for the DX MARATHON, now if I can find a VU2 calling cq from zone 22 that would complete the 40 zones fer the contest, 73 Dan WG5G.

A couple of months ago I caught a VU2 on 12m RTTY long path for a new band country and my first VU confirmed on RTTY.  It was around 9am local or so. Had to be long path as the north pole was in total darkness at that time of the year, and wouldn't have supported 12m propagation.  I have heard XV1X pretty loud on 10m long path but no luck getting him yet.  Maybe when I get the MA5B up.

John AF5CC
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »

After a few SSB contest I always want a shorter call, tired of needing to catch my breath even though I use a DVR for calling CQ.  I lost 3 syllables from my old call and the "7" land was the only place that had an available 2 x 1 with AJ prefix that I like.  The only problem is I have to redo my QRZ page.  Somehow all my info got lost during the shuffle.

Randy
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 08:07:33 PM »

Nice job!  I've worked both in the same day on 10M LP but there is no way to predict that opening. You just have to spend a lot of time on 10 meters.

Not true, as this DXLab propagation forecast demonstrates.

Dave, AA6YQ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »

Hello Larry and John, tnx fer ur comments, a bonus here was that I needed both of those for the DX MARATHON, now if I can find a VU2 calling cq from zone 22 that would complete the 40 zones fer the contest, 73 Dan WG5G.

A couple of months ago I caught a VU2 on 12m RTTY long path for a new band country and my first VU confirmed on RTTY.  It was around 9am local or so. Had to be long path as the north pole was in total darkness at that time of the year, and wouldn't have supported 12m propagation.  I have heard XV1X pretty loud on 10m long path but no luck getting him yet.  Maybe when I get the MA5B up.

John AF5CC

I'm fairly sure that was a short path contact you worked India with.  You can work countries relatively near the equator well past their midnight on the higher bands, and I've heard or worked India on 10 meters well past that time and they were all short path contacts.

Chris/NU1O
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »

I'm fairly sure that was a short path contact you worked India with.  You can work countries relatively near the equator well past their midnight on the higher bands, and I've heard or worked India on 10 meters well past that time and they were all short path contacts.

Even back in February when the north pole was in 24 hour darkness?  Didn't think the MUF would get high enough for 12m in 24 hour darkness.  Conversely the south pole (the long path route) would have 24 hour sunshine, really boosting the MUF!  I don't have a beam up right now, so don't know which path it was based on beam headings, and the beam I am hoping to get up soon only functions as a rotatable dipole on 12m.

John AF5CC
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »

Even back in February when the north pole was in 24 hour darkness?  Didn't think the MUF would get high enough for 12m in 24 hour darkness.  Conversely the south pole (the long path route) would have 24 hour sunshine, really boosting the MUF!  I don't have a beam up right now, so don't know which path it was based on beam headings, and the beam I am hoping to get up soon only functions as a rotatable dipole on 12m.

John AF5CC

John, I'm pretty certain that 12M QSO was a short path QSO, even in February.  I haven't worked India in January or February on 10 meters so far this cycle but I did work one in December and it was short path (QSO was at 13:47 UTC).  I have had many QSOs with Indonesia on 15 meters (and a few on 10 meters) during this cycle and some are near their local midnight and all were short path QSOs.  I've had a beam up for many years so I can tell whether it's long or short path. Actually, I have not made one long path QSO on 10 or 15 meters this solar cycle with India or Indonesia (my antenna is not resonant on 12 so I seldom use it).  The vast majority of my long path QSOs on 10 meters this cycle have been into South East Asia. Hong Kong, Macao, Vietnam, Laos, and China.

As I previously wrote, the countries near the equator (and Southern India is only about 10 degrees North of the equator) can use the higher bands well past their sunsets, and sometimes past midnight, so the time alone will not guarantee it's a long path contact.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:14:29 PM by NU1O » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »

Nice job!  I've worked both in the same day on 10M LP but there is no way to predict that opening. You just have to spend a lot of time on 10 meters.

Dave, AA6YQ

We've had quite a few 10 meter long path discussions during the past few years and I think most following the topic realized I meant that one can't predict a long path opening to SE Asia for a given day with any high level of confidence, and not that a prediction can't be made. I have a feeling you understood that, too, Dave, but why waste an opportunity to plug your program?

Sure, the propagation programs can make predictions but how accurate are they?  VOACAP has the probability of my station and Hong Kong via long path of having a circuit at 90% plus for CW and 70% plus for SSB for the month of April. Something is terribly wrong with those numbers. I've been on 10 meters most mornings since the fall of 2010 and I've only experienced a few openings via long path to SE Asia on 10 meters. Perhaps some of it is due to lack of stations at the other end of the path but there are some very active hams in SE Asia and I find it hard to believe it's a lack of stations rather than the probability being grossly inflated. Perhaps a long path opening to the other side of the globe is just harder to predict than the circuit between the ECUSA and Western Europe.

I'm pretty sure this topic wouldn't have even been created if the long path opening to SE Asia was a common as VOACAP makes it out to be. At 90% plus we are getting close to the daily 20 meter opening between the ECUSA and Western Europe. About the only time we lose that path is when there is a bad solar storm.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:52:35 PM by NU1O » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 06:52:07 PM »

Nice job!  I've worked both in the same day on 10M LP but there is no way to predict that opening. You just have to spend a lot of time on 10 meters.

Dave, AA6YQ

We've had quite a few 10 meter long path discussions during the past few years and I think most following the topic realized I meant that one can't predict a long path opening to SE Asia for a given day with any high level of confidence, and not that a prediction can't be made.  I have a feeling you understood that, too, Dave, but why waste an opportunity to plug your program?

You posted "there is no way to predict that opening", but now you claim that I must have known you meant "there is no way to predict that opening with any high level of confidence"?

And you're castigating me for promoting software that demonstrably does what you claimed can't be done, and is totally free? Is this not a forum for discussing effective DXing?

Sure, the propagation programs can make predictions but how accurate are they?  

Accurate enough to help me get from a novice ticket to the top of Honor Roll in two solar cycles.

Propagation prediction, HF beacon monitoring, and the ability to rapidly analyze DX spot data combine to identify likely openings. Knowledge of likely openings combined with knowledge of the operating habits of needed DX stations yields faster award progress.

Dave, AA6YQ

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: