Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergency Go Box  (Read 2902 times)
KD8AJY

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:03:53 AM »

Hey everyone,  I am building a Go Box.  Essentially, it is an all inclusive station in a box.  Is there a way to switch between AC and DC power sources?  Thanks for your input! 73 --KD8AJY
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:15:11 AM »

There are numerous ways.  What is your requirement?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »

Sure easy, you only need two things assuming all your gear is standard 12vdc

-A DC distribution panel, like a Rig Runner with Anderson Powerpole connectors
-A switch AC to DC power supply

Plug all your gear into the Rig Runner.  If you have DC or a Battery, then plug it into the distro panel and everything is running.

If you have AC, plug the switching power supply into the AC, and the output into the distro panel.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/rigrunner.php

Astron power supplies are the gold standard.  Their switching supplies are Quiet!
 http://www.astroncorp.com/showpage.asp?p=3
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:57:15 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
KD8AJY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »

First off, I am building a box similar to the ones at http://www.emergencyradiogokit.com/.   I am building it from scratch and what I am thinking is actually being able to run from 3 different power sources; 1 internal battery, 1 external battery, or commercial power.  I also already have a switching power supply would like to have a switch between the three.

In my head, I am thinking of running the power through Rig Runner and having  not only hook ups for my radio but also an AC outlet.  All of this will fit inside a Pelican 1520 box.  I have some of the parts but not everything (RigRunners 4005, 4004,internal battery, external battery, box, and exhaust fan).  Like I said, this is a work in progress.
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »

Hey everyone,  I am building a Go Box.  Essentially, it is an all inclusive station in a box.  Is there a way to switch between AC and DC power sources?  Thanks for your input! 73 --KD8AJY

Yep.  Unplug the DC wires of the AC/DC supply from the RigRunner and plug in the DC wires  from a battery. 
KU6J

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:47:46 PM »

You could add a PWRGate to your box and wire it like they show on the Diagram tab. IF AC power is available, your 12V equipment would run off your power supply and the internal battery would get recharged at the same time. If you pull the plug on external AC power, it would automatically switch your equipment to run on the internal battery. If using an external battery, just swap the battery connection to the external battery instead of internal battery.

Eric KU6J

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Free SOTA Spot Monitor Software + RBNGate FAQ:
http://www.ku6j.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
KD8AJY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 04:10:51 AM »

Thank you, I will deffinatley look into the PWRGate.  I can see how going with an auto switch like that would be helpful, and it makes more sense than changing connections everytime!

KD8AJY
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »

Thank you, I will deffinatley look into the PWRGate.  I can see how going with an auto switch like that would be helpful, and it makes more sense than changing connections everytime!

KD8AJY
Two problems with “or-gate” diode strips.  First is that you have to set your power supply about .6V higher than you normally would to compensate for diode voltage drop.  And, more importantly, 13.8V is not enough voltage to properly recharge a 6-cell lead acid battery.

Your battery will last longer and have rated capacity if you use a charger that is designed to charge lead acid cells.  That means, that you will need to isolate the charger and battery from your gear when it’s charging.  Then, manually switch between a regulated AC powered switching or linear supply and the battery.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: