The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PORTABLE EMCOMM STATION  (Read 136721 times)
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »

Whats the fascination with permanently mounting a rig inside a rigid plastic case or a toolbox, and calling it a portable station?

Instead of mounting it all inside with nuts, bolts and wiring, why can't you just simply carry all the equipment inside the box, and then set it all up outside the box when you get there?

Why does the portable equipment need to be permanently affixed to the actual structure of the carrying container used to transport the equipment?

I never mount my portable QRP rig equipment permanently to my backpack either. Doing so would seem to cause added and unnecessary restrictions.  

It is nice if you have multiple devices (radios, TNCs, soundcards) because you can leave everything connected.  When I get to the field, I have one power connection and the coax -- that's it.  And it keeps everything nice and neat and a little protected from the elements. 
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »

Here is ham from the UK who built a 'Porta-Frame' with copper pipe. His site explains how he built it. He runs a FT 857 in the rack with a ATU and batteries self contained. This is a grab and go 'manpack' type radio.  http://www.m0pzt.com/?portable

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2015, 06:37:32 PM »

This is what I built several years ago.  I still have it though I no longer am involved with RACES/ARES. 

http://tinyurl.com/p6bab34

I left EMCOMM due to the inordinate amount of training and equipment you were REQUIRED to have. The majority of EOC's now only want digital modes and Pactor 3 modems and I just can't afford all that stuff.  I also didn't like the politics surrounding EMCOMM.   
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 05:32:18 AM »

This is what I built several years ago.  I still have it though I no longer am involved with RACES/ARES. 

I left EMCOMM due to the inordinate amount of training and equipment you were REQUIRED to have. The majority of EOC's now only want digital modes and Pactor 3 modems and I just can't afford all that stuff.  I also didn't like the politics surrounding EMCOMM.   

Tests, certifications, politics and time invested is one thing. But for them to insist on hams having to heave up $1000+ for a Pactor 3 modem is over the top. Some of us don't even have HF rigs that cost that much. Perhaps the Chinese could build a Pactor 3 clone for $200 or $300, that could be doable. Or offer a discount for hams.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »

How blatantly unfair! I mean, to expect emergency communications personnel to have training!  And even the right equipment to properly support their mission!  Gee Whiz!  What were they thinking?
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 09:46:03 AM »

How blatantly unfair! I mean, to expect emergency communications personnel to have training!  And even the right equipment to properly support their mission!  Gee Whiz!  What were they thinking?

LOL But it is true. It is far better to walk in with some training then to be asked and not know a single thing on how the served agencies are doing things.

Our county has never asked us to purchase anything. We just show up when asked and perform what service is needed and use equipment we have, and get the job done.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 06:40:07 PM »

The ARES groups I deal with have very simple training requirements (one time online training) and a Tech with a Baofeng HT and a mag mount is welcome.  RACES may have more requirements.  MARS requires Pactor. 
AFA6MD

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »

... MARS requires Pactor. 

KD0SFY,
Please allow me to respectfully correct you that at least within Air Force MARS (I am not a member of the other two services so can't speak for them) there is no requirement for Pactor.

We do digital with NBEMS and another free digital software. Those who want to do WinLink (with Winmor or else) are free to do so, but it's an ancillary tool and hasn't even been discussed during the last half year in my region.

Back to the original thread: You all might want to look at the RaDAR group where portable (EmComm) stations are continuously being discussed:
https://plus.google.com/communities/109283065808971118728

Happy New Year and 73 de AFA6MD
N1EN

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2015, 09:01:47 AM »

Please allow me to respectfully correct you that at least within Air Force MARS (I am not a member of the other two services so can't speak for them) there is no requirement for Pactor.

There is also no requirement for Pactor in NMCMARS members.  Formally the requirement is for HF digital capability; as a practical matter specifically soundcard digital is required.

I can't speak for Army MARS, but I strongly suspect that's the case for them too.

There are some MARS Winlink stations that are required to have Pactor due to the nature of the radio-only functionality, but most regular members would not be impacted by that requirement.
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »

KD0SFY,

Maybe it has been dropped, but everything I can find online says it is still a requirement.  Of course USAF MARS have a pretty sucky web presence (Army has a better presence and even it generally still says they require PACTOR even though the 2014 version of AR 25-6 has dropped it).
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 12:13:37 AM »

Here is ham from the UK who built a 'Porta-Frame' with copper pipe. His site explains how he built it. He runs a FT 857 in the rack with a ATU and batteries self contained. This is a grab and go 'manpack' type radio.  http://www.m0pzt.com/?portable

How is the attached frame making this transceiver any more portable, than the idea of just simply carrying it along and attaching a portable battery and portable antenna to it?  

Why must it be installed inside this frame? ...Will it not function properly without it?
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 04:45:51 AM »

How is the attached frame making this transceiver any more portable, than the idea of just simply carrying it along and attaching a portable battery and portable antenna to it?  

Why must it be installed inside this frame? ...Will it not function properly without it?

Some people like the idea of having the radio, ATU, batteries, etc. all mounted and permanently wired so that they can just hook up the antenna and hit the power button and they are ready to operate. It is mostly a time and aggravation saver. It is simply an OP's preference.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »

I don't know about functionality of this configuration, but it looks cool. Sort of military.
KC3BNO

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »

[/quote]

The same way that roll bars work on a Jeep. If you mount sensitive/fragile equipment in a cage, preferably with rubber washers to act as shock dampers, the cage takes the damage in the event that it gets dropped.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »

A bit or fantasy gets mixed in with the whole "I am an EMCOMM ham man" routine.  The level of acceptance by the authorities of all the guys in the orange jackets varies throughout the country.  What I have heard from many guys out there is that most of the time when they are associated with a emergency response their radio network is hardly utilized since the authorities have it covered.  Many guys come prepared but never set up their radios because the authorities figure that all EMCOMM Hams need is a handheld when they're dispatched to hand out food and blankets.  I'm sure that in more rural areas EMCOMM guys are more fully utilized than in metropolitan/surburban areas.  In the case of my own suburban town the emergency response officer ignored repeated letters, phone calls, and unscheduled visits from EMCOMM ham organizations who were trying to set up liasion activities. Well the EMCOMM guys finally gave up.  Other towns around here may use a few hams for very mundane duties.  Consider your 'go box' radio projects for your own benefit when the proverbial crap hits the fan...most authorities don't want ham help anymore.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: