The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PORTABLE EMCOMM STATION  (Read 137097 times)
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 11:21:32 AM »

On the other hand, the State of Oregon has a program to provide complete VHF/HF ham stations
for every County EOC (as long as the County wants it and there is a local ARES/RACES group to
support it.)  That provides voice and digital backup communications from each county back to the
State Office of Emergency Services (which also coordinates the ARES/RACES program for the state.)
Last I heard such stations were active in 32 of the 36 counties, spanning more than 300 miles.
The ARES/RACES group in each county works with the county Emergency Manager to support the
EOC stations and to meet local needs.

Why this level of support?  Because a few years ago ham radio provided the ONLY communications
in and out of several coastal counties following massive storms and flooding.
M0PZT

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »

Here is ham from the UK who built a 'Porta-Frame' with copper pipe. His site explains how he built it. He runs a FT 857 in the rack with a ATU and batteries self contained. This is a grab and go 'manpack' type radio.  http://www.m0pzt.com/?portable
A bit of a delay, but found this thread in my web-stats...

Thanks for the mention of my "Porta-Frame" (Man-Pack). To answer the question of why put it into a frame, on my website you'll see that I usually cycle to my /P locations (or walk) and having everything in the frame makes it safer to transport in the panniers and also movable should I want to adjust my operating position as the sun shifts (or rain). It also removes the need for a table as it can just rest on the floor.

In short, it solved a problem, I learned how to solder copper-pipe and it got me 3rd place in my local club's "Constructor" competition last summer Smiley Just waiting for the WX to improve before taking out for the 1st time this year...
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 03:29:57 PM »

Here is ham from the UK who built a 'Porta-Frame' with copper pipe. His site explains how he built it. He runs a FT 857 in the rack with a ATU and batteries self contained. This is a grab and go 'manpack' type radio.  http://www.m0pzt.com/?portable
A bit of a delay, but found this thread in my web-stats...

Thanks for the mention of my "Porta-Frame" (Man-Pack). To answer the question of why put it into a frame, on my website you'll see that I usually cycle to my /P locations (or walk) and having everything in the frame makes it safer to transport in the panniers and also movable should I want to adjust my operating position as the sun shifts (or rain). It also removes the need for a table as it can just rest on the floor.

In short, it solved a problem, I learned how to solder copper-pipe and it got me 3rd place in my local club's "Constructor" competition last summer Smiley Just waiting for the WX to improve before taking out for the 1st time this year...

Thank you for stopping by and saying hi!  The "Porta-Frame" is a great idea and an inspiration for all us to build our own. How much did it cost to build yours?

The manpack idea is a fine concept of true "Grab and Go" is great for both ecomms and also for convenience. On ebay, some Chinese Company is selling something like that for $175. I'm sure we could definitely build it for a lot less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Transceiver-Antenna-Tuner-Carrier-FT-857D-FT-897-IC-706-IC-7000-LDG-Z11-/201154747440?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item2ed5c1dc30

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 02:27:05 PM »

One other idea. Our local radio club has a HF/VHF/UHF/GMRS station at the place we meet (it's a secure location). We have set up our radio equipment in go boxes. We use it this way in regular times and it's available to be grabbed at a moments notice along with a couple Honda Inverter Generators and plenty of gas cans. Portable antennas, coax and antenna stands round out the system, all packaged in carry bags.
73's John
M0PZT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:59 AM »

Mine cost £70 ($100) as I didn't have any parts or the tools/paint - Raw materials, depending upon your local prices, cost about £35 ($50). Everything came from my local DIY store (Homebase, for our UK readers). I would certainly make another and I'm happy with the rugged'ness of it - aside from a few chips on the bottom where it's been moved about, it's holding up quite well - It certainly makes life easier when I'm at the local village green and the sun moves, so I have to move with the shade... I can just pick the whole "station" up and move a few metres without hassle.

The "Chinese" meccano metal frame isn't bad, but a bit pricey - A local Ham has his FT-897 in one and it's sturdy, holds everything and fits his purpose. My needs were "backpack-friendly" and the rounded edges of the copper pipe fit that requirement. It didn't need to hold lots of accessories or a complete self-contained Shack/Comms/Mission-Control centre - just a radio, battery and tuner.  Just looking forward to going "lithium" as the lead-acid batteries sure do add to the weight!

But building it yourself is more satisfying Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: