Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Bought MFJ-464 Keyer  (Read 1630 times)
KD0JXP

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:53:05 PM »

Greetings:  I have read some reviews on this unit here on eHam and they are several years old now.  I just purchased an MFJ-464 Keyer unit and it seems to be trying to work, though the channel I am currently on (which is my 2M repeater for our local club) only sends CW out on the hour with the repeater call sign.  I presume the CW will translate to the call of the club repeater.

Anyhow, I can not seem to get the unit to talk via serial connection and indeed I have read the manual and have the pre-built cable that MFJ makes.  I am using a prolific USB to serial adapter which I know works flawlessly as I have used it for the last 3 years on other projects.  My laptop is Windows 7 and the terminal software I am using is TeraTerm.  I also have a license for NetTerm which I thought was not working at first but the result is still no joy on the serial comm link.

I am not sure I agree with the older reviews that the unit is totally junk, but I am a bit frustrated with it at this point.

Has anyone ever gotten this unit to work.  I suppose I should also mention that I am using this with my Yaesu FT897.

Thanks for any help!

73, Mike

KD0JXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »

Hello Again folks:  Chalk this up to not-so-great documentation :-)   I decided on a whim to try a null modem adapter with the MFJ 464 and now it is sending from the computer to the unit and so I believe that it will also receive from the radio too through the box.  I am still in the process of getting the box sync'd with my Yaesu FT897D -- if someone knows of a good frequency to tune into to get this box calibrated properly I would like to know as well.  It has been suggested too that I get an audio filter to put inline between the output of the Yaesu and the MFJ 464.

HOWEVER, the serial question is now solved and the answer was a null modem adapter inline.
VK3LRE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »

Hello Mike thanks for your posting and your findings on the MFJ464 i also have just brought the MFJ464 and was having trouble with the programe connecting to the computer because of you posting now  works fine with my FT950 A BIG THANKS !!! RAY VK3LRE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: