The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile 2 meter radio in 2017 RAV 4?  (Read 1614 times)
KD7RAT

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2017, 11:37:52 AM »

Hi Group.  We have a new car, a RAV4 and I would like to install a 2 meter mobile radio in it.  Has anyone done this or seen this done.  I would like it to be a good looking smooth transition.  Probalby will have Cartoys make the actual installation as they seem to do a good job.

thanks
dick
KD7RAT
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »

I did on an older RAV-4. I just drilled a hole and put a NMO mount in the centre of the roof.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:46:38 PM »

Lido makes a nice flex stick mount for control heads.  I have one in a Camry, the mount end of the stick goes under the passenger seat bolt.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 03:10:31 PM »

+1 on Lido and similar "under the seat rail bolt" mounts. With a piece of black hot water pipe sleeve insulation over the stalk to hide the cables until they reach the floor, it makes for a neat, strong, and simple install.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:21:54 AM »

I had a 2015 RAV 4 with the cup mount.  Works good.  In the manual for my new 2017 RAV 4 limited, it says do nopt operate a 2 way radio in the vehicle as it may interfere with the electronics.  will only be running 15 watts.

Anyone heard of this

KB4OIF
John
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 06:31:10 AM »

In the manual for my new 2017 RAV 4 limited, it says do nopt operate a 2 way radio in the vehicle as it may interfere with the electronics. 

I bought a 1991 Toyota Camary new and car was know to blow a ECM with some two way radio installations, (they made some changes it ECM in 92). I used a 50 watt 2M TM 231 in it for many years with a thru glass 1/2 wave antenna and it worked well. I did install a filter choke in power feed to rig that not only help keep RFI from car electronic out of power feed but also prevented RF from rig back feeding thru power feed. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 04:08:08 AM »

I don't know what's changed since 2010, but I put my Icom IC-208 under the passenger seat and mounted the control head on a flexible mount that mounts to a passenger seat bolt. Power is run through a rubber fitting in the firewall and the antenna is an NMO mounted in the center of the roof. It's been trouble-free for the past 5 years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: