Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good, older HF transceiver  (Read 6278 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »

Quite a few of the older Icom rigs had those problems

That's right. But those are known problems, and once you take care of them you can have a reliable, excellent rig for little money.

AJ8MH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »

Give me a boat anchor any day!!   Grin

Yup, got a few around here:  http://webpages.charter.net/aj8mh-radio/todayphoto.html

On the crystals and caps...  It's widely know that the FT-757 can show signs of frequency drift and wobble caused by bad trimmer capacitors.  The sudden intermittent loss of a band or wild frequency change is usually the crystal.  While the board is out, it's probably prudent to replace all the trimmers and crystals.  It's cheap enough.  The FT-757 can really be a boat anchor if the microprocessor dies.

I've also worked on the new stuff.  Replacing surface mount ICs is a problem, but other surface mount components are fairly easy to replace.  Troubleshooting and following the signal flow takes time.  Luckily on my rig, it was just a dirty ribbon cable running from the front panel to the processor board.  Nothing like a soft touch and a diddle-stick.

KA5IWO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 10:10:34 AM »

Get a Yaesu FT-890at or a FT-840, both are solid reliable radios.
If you want a small hf rig find a Kenwood TS-50s or hf/vhf try an Icom IC-706II.
Kenwood TS-140s and the TS-440s rig are good performers.
Make sure the pll issues on theTS-440s have been fixed though.

Kevin
KA5IWO
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »

FT890 was not made long. It was know to blow finals and should be avoided.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »

I think the FT890 was quickly discontinued because it was replaced by the FT900, which was the first HF rig with a remotable faceplate.  They are still really popular with the county hunting crowd.

John AF5CC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »

I think the FT890 was quickly discontinued because it was replaced by the FT900, which was the first HF rig with a remotable faceplate.  They are still really popular with the county hunting crowd.

John AF5CC

They also changed the finals in 900 as well. The 890 is not a bad rig otherwise but they are known to pop finals if they have never been changed.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »

John AF5CC

They also changed the finals in 900 as well. The 890 is not a bad rig otherwise but they are known to pop finals if they have never been changed.
  I must be lucky then! I'm on my second 890. It is now a backup rig to my current favorite, the FT-1000MP MKV. I sold the first 890 to help finance the MKV. Both 890's have worked without
problems. They are pretty tough radios. And work surprisingly well.
james
WD5GWY
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »

John AF5CC

I must be lucky then! I'm on my second 890. It is now a backup rig to my current favorite, the FT-1000MP MKV. I sold the first 890 to help finance the MKV. Both 890's have worked without
problems. They are pretty tough radios. And work surprisingly well.
james
WD5GWY

Yaesu may have changed finals in later units but I have seen a few early ones pop finals. As I recall that was their first attempt as a mosfet final in that type of rig. 

WA1GJF

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »

As the original owner of a Yaesu FT890AT, I will highly recommend it. It is my backup for the 897D.  By the way, I have an unused and never used  mobile bracket for the 890AT if anyone is interested. This 890AT (With tuner), is not for sale!

Leeds

WA1GJF@arrl.net 
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: