The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $100 portable SDR receiver  (Read 1358 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:56:55 AM »

http://www.radioworld.com/article/pantronx-seeks-complete-sdr-solution/280007 

About time this concept is commercialized. I found the comment by "pioneering internet radio manufacturer Grace Digital" particularly odd. They don't seem to "get it"..  Any Android device can run Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio, etc. This Android device can do all the internet radio functionality AND also receive real radio. All modes. All bands.

AB3TH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »

Interesting.  Designed in Panama, undoubtedly built in China.  They're accepting statements of interest.  Not pre-orders exactly.  The spec sheet doesn't mention CW but it does say SSB.  Also has no tech specs other than frequency range.  Apparently no RF input jack.  Just a loopstick and telescoping antenna.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 02:15:13 PM »

Does it have a waterfall?  How does it compare to the SDRplay unit?   Shocked
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 03:42:13 PM »

Just a cursorily assessment... Seems as if it is open to loading whatever Android apps you like... SDR Touch, whatever...

Built in China? iPhones are built in China. They work great. Every popular smartphone known to man is built in China.

Jack? That is an excellent point. To make this a truly "enthusiast friendly" product, there needs to be an antenna jack.

That said, for $100, if a true enthusiast needs to add a jack, and can't for whatever reasons of ineptitude or simple resistance, then so be it. The entire radio is slated to cost less than an SDRplay.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:47:09 PM by K5TED » Logged
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 01:50:43 AM »

“The unit has an internal balanced tuned ferrite antenna for AM (MW)/shortwave reception, a built-in whip antenna for all other bands, and a jack to allow an external antenna to be connected.”
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 06:16:32 PM »

I totally missed it in the video. But, there is indeed a jack. Right there in the handle part where the whip antenna is connected.

I just hope it is more than a RTL-SDR with downconverter...

12 bit, fingers crossed...
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »

I dunno, I'm having trouble getting excited about this, especially since it uses Android. I'm currently using an SDRPlay RSP1 w/HDSDR on a 7-inch Windows 8.1 tablet and its a fantastic portable combo. I've tried the android SDR apps - SDRTouch etc., and to be honest they (SDRTouch at least) has a long way to go before it is as useful as its Windows counterparts.

IMO, a better device would be similar in concept but MUCH more rugged, would have external power options in addition to the built-in battery, would have an embedded operating system which is optimized for both SDR and web/network use, and a single good embedded SDR application program, with ability to upgrade.

Touch screens are a double edged sword - they are convenient but annoying also due to unwanted actions resulting from unintended touches. And as operating systems go, Android is way too dumbed down for serious use.

I can see though where the market for this is at <$100, and it will definitely appeal to the less technical who want a pretty good do-it-all portable Smiley.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: