Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NaP3, LP-PAN 2, E_MU 0204 connection to FT-2000w/IF2000 IF output ? ? ?  (Read 3512 times)
KC5AOS

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »

Need a little help here.  I am running a Yaesu FT-2000, Installed IF2000, E-MU 0204, and the LP-PAN2.  The LP-PAN 2 front panel [atten] button is pushed in.  Cables are swapped in the back of the 0204 as directed, although I am not 100% sure that pertains in this situation as this was an assembled LP-PAN unit, and I selected the FT-2000 radio option when ordering.

The PC is an ACER ONE 722, AMD Dual_Core Processor C60 with turbo core technology up to 1.333GHz, 2GB DDR3 Memory.  

I have no RS232 serial port connection on this PC so I am running a 232 to USB converter.   Unfortunately, the chipset I have in the converter is a Prolific chipset.  It worked fine for my CommCat software but seem to be limited to a baud rate of 4800, which could be part of the problem I am having.  I have ordered a FTDI chipset based USB to 232 converter and it should be i mid week.

I seem to get some life out of the system when I first turn things on.  By that I mean it goes to the rig frequency on startup, and I can seem to control the bandwidth, but that is about it.

Any suggestions?  Do you think I need more PC, this one is just a notebook.  Gees I hope not.  Would hate to have to spend another $500 to $700 on another PC.  Any thing I could change in the settings to make my pc work, like decreasing sample rates etc. . . ?

Also, do you think I will be able to run my CommCat logging software and the NaP3 program at the same time?  They are both talking to the rig through Com Port 5.

A little frustrated, but being patient.

Damon
KC5AOS
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:31:20 AM »

Damon - not enough info to understand what the problem is.  Are you getting a trace on NaP3 showing signals?  Apparently you're having problems with the CAT control, but is that the only problem?  You can achieve shared access to a com port by using free software like VSPE.  That allows multiple applications to talk to the port at the same time and it works better than other software port sharing offerings I've tried.  Do you have the com port parameters in NaP3 set properly to talk to the FT-2000? Check speed and number of stop bits in particular.  I've found that the number of stop bits being wrong can sometimes lead to intermittent operation with a Yaesu rig.
KC5AOS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »

K8AC,

No signal, just a series of evenly space spikes.  I have ordered a replacement for the USB to 232 converter being that mine is a Prolific chipset.  And yeah, once I get thing going, I will have to run some sharing software so I can operate both the LP-PAN and the CommCat logging software. 

I was just hoping that someone else who had already set up an FT2k with this system could give me pointers, but the PC seems to be a big variable.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:28:26 PM »

You might want to try the LP-Pan group on Yahoo.  You're sure to find someone there who's using an FT-2000.

73, K8AC
KC5AOS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »

update  --  I replaced the Prolific USB to Serial converter with the ITDF chipset one from Byte Runner Technologies, and things came to life.  I am able to have both the rig and the port set to 384Kbps.  I am running between 85% and 95% CPU usage though.  Any settings to the NaP3 program I can do to cut down a bit on CPU usage? 

Now at least I can calibrate freq offsets and such and play around to get it dialed in.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:27:55 PM »

I think you mean the speed is 38.4 kbps.  You can reduce the Refresh Rate on the Display tab of NaP3, but I find anything below 12 or so to be unacceptable.  I'd also look at the rig polling rates on the Setup tab.  And, reduce the speed to 4800 bps.
KC5AOS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:31:05 AM »

OK, got it working flawlessly.  Switched to a 3.1GHz processor (bought a used PC).  All is well with the world.  Man is this a great set up.  Highly recommend.  Anyone using an FT-2000 without this panadapter/bandscope set up does not know what they are missing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: