Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cushcraft R-9  (Read 2547 times)
KB5GH

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »

Has anyone installed the new Cushcraft R-9 vertical?  If so, I'd appreciate any comments on its performance, assembly or just general comments.  MFJ doesn't have the manual on it's web site and I asked them to email me one, but that's little to go on.  I need to replace an R-5 fairly quickly.

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »

R -

What happen to the Cushcraft R-5 ?
http://ok1ike.c-a-v.com/soubory/ant_txt/Cushcraft%20R-4-5-7.pdf
Personally, I think the R-5 and R-7 were the best, in this series.
http://www.mrs.bt.co.uk/mrs/r5/

The Cushcraft R-9 assembly will be like the R-8 model.
It takes TIME to assemble.  It is NOT pre-assembled or tuned (like R4/R5/R6000/R7 traps).

w9gb
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:20:32 PM by W9GB » Logged
KB5GH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »

The R-5 was victim of a wayward tree.  Damaged it moderately  It's over 20 years old and was giving me issues on 17 meters and when it rained.  Also, didn't have 40/80 capability, so I thought I might try the R-9.  I wasn't too impressed with the reviews of the R-8, so I need to figure out if the R-9 is a rehash of the R-8 or a different animal.

I agree that the R-5 and R-7 were the better of the series.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »

Quote from: KB5GH
The R-5 was victim of a wayward tree.  Damaged it moderately  It's over 20 years old and was giving me issues on 17 meters and when it rained.  Also, didn't have 40/80 capability
Understood.  I have rescued three R5/R7 verticals over past 7 years, one was a Gulf War victim (lost its base assembly when shipped back).
The R5 is a great Field Day antenna for 20 through 10 meter usage.  
Very easy to lift (1-man) on a 1-1/2" mast.

The 17 meter trap can be problematic.  Often the original heat shrink cracks after 20+ years in outdoor UV light and weathering.

The R5 is actually the earlier R4 design from mid-1980s, before the 17 meter WARC band was available in USA, which the 17-meter trap was added.
Cushcraft then re-worked that 15-17 meter trap in early 1990s.

The 40 meter coverage is not bad with the R7 model, but as with all vertical antennas --
your 80 meter bandwidth will be narrow (~ 50 kHz).
K1FPV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »

I had an R-5 I used for nearly 20 years. It was terrific! I finally had to get rid of it because I was moving to a new location and job with antenna restrictions. I've since retired, moved to a new location and put up a Hy-Gain AV-620. That was as good as the R-5 if not a little better. Unfortunately, like you, last winter's ice storms took it away!  :-(

Bill/K1FPV
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 05:19:55 AM »

Has anyone installed the new Cushcraft R-9 vertical?  If so, I'd appreciate any comments on its performance, assembly or just general comments.
R -

I have looked closely at the top section photographs.
 It appears that the R-9 design has adopted design elements (capacity hats) from
earlier Cushcraft and Hy-Gain designs ... for this antenna to cover the 80 meter CW and Phone segments.

This new R-9 antenna DOES have substantial mass at its top --- so guying us a REQUIREMENT.
I would not consider installing unless you can accommodate the guying.
N4BAM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »

I plan on installing a Cushcraft R-9 this weekend this weekend using the bottom 3 or 4 sections of telescoping mast only  (about 20').  If you already installed yours and/or have any advice please let me know.  I'm struggling on what material to use for guying; wire or the nylon rope guying kits.  I live near Tampa FL so we get lots of big storms and the occasional hurricane.

The base is 6 feet of water pipe (1.9 OD) with 3 feet concreted in.  Attached to that is a tilt mount for really bad storms.  I plan on using carbineer's for guy quick disconnects if I can find strong enough ones.  The mast is grounded to a 9' copper grounding rod which is also attached to another 9' grounding rod (via #6 stranded copper wire) where my homemade (two 2" angle iron and a 12"x12" alum plate) buried 3 Bulkhead is.

Thanks in advance. ~ Gunner

Best, Regards,

1SG Terry "Gunner" Peterson Jr. USA (Ret)
OIF  2003
KK4SKX
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »

The only caution I would provide is to be ready for missing/miscut-drilled parts and tuning rods that are tapped incorrectly and cannot be tightened with the threaded studs provided.

How come I know this?

Been there and done that with a Cushcraft vertical purchased after the MFJ acquisition.

Oh, and it took 6 weeks to get replacements.

FYI,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: