Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heath SB-221 - A little help  (Read 623 times)
W4PBU

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »

I have a Heathkit SB-221 linear that had been working perfectly and still does on 20, 40, & 80 meters; However, now it will not load on 10 or 15 meters and no output on those two bands only.
I did the best I could to examine the band switch, without removing the front panel, by using a dental mirror & light and I don't see anything obvious like a crack in the wafers or any sign of arching.
I have the original manual with schematics so just getting pointed in the right direction will help.
Any guidance in troubleshooting this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
W4PBU
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »

Dave:  Not enough info.  How is the exciter acting?  Is it providing drive?  What meter readings are you getting on the 221?

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:33:51 PM »

If you have schematic and a ohm meter I would start with continuity checking the band switch and components common to 10 and 15 m.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »

My recommendation is to join the Heathkit Yahoo group. They are dedicated to fixing Heathkit stuff. You'll certainly find support there.
You are saying 10 and 15 meters. This would then be just one position as according to my information there is no extra 10 meter position of the switch. Could be a broken wire or solder joint.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 05:44:54 AM »

Used to work, now doesn't work, and is band selective.  Without the schematic, I would start with the power off and an ohm meter connected to the input jack, and observing the resistance while operating the bandswitch to see if there is a load being provided of any sort.  Bad bandswitch connectons should show up with this simple test.
Then, time to get out the schematic!
73s.

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: