Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: receice audio  (Read 1744 times)
W2ZS

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:07:19 PM »

Anyone enhancing their receive audio with graphic equalizers and or a mixer? If so how is it working out?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »

How would a mixer help a receiver? No doubt outboard equalizers work out well...,for people selling outboard equalizers.

My Flex-5000a has a built-in 3-band or a 10-band equalizer. I use the 3-band one which I keep slightly peaked in the middle... which does... almost nothing,  I work SSB and CW.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:17:21 PM »

MFJ builds a receive EQ for people who are getting older, and have high-frequency hearing loss.  That's one good reason to use one.

I haven't seen the need for one, myself.  For weak-signal SSB work, boosting the highs will also boost the noise.

.              Charles
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 05:46:48 AM »

The basic fact is you are working with a 4 kHz voice channel.  Yes, you can modify the the frequency response, and there are those that are doing it.  It is a fairly inexpensive thing to play with... and can be highly educational.
If you do get into it, consider turning the old ham shack into a studio setting with some sound control... out with the hard tile and in with the sound boards, rugs, and curtains etc.
Have fun!
73s.

-Mike.
W2ZS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »

Thanks guys

I have 2 hf rigs and a scanner.The mixer would allow me to set up speakers on right and left of my desk and feed audio from radios in various ways. I tried a 15 band equalizer but it didn't seem to make much difference on ssb A new Polk hi-fi speaker did make a good improvement. I am considering a 31 band equalizer to get more flexibility within the vocal range of ssb
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »

How would a mixer help a receiver? No doubt outboard equalizers work out well...,for people selling outboard equalizers.

My Flex-5000a has a built-in 3-band or a 10-band equalizer. I use the 3-band one which I keep slightly peaked in the middle... which does... almost nothing,  I work SSB and CW.

I have two Xcievers in my shack. I run their audio outputs into a small mixer and then to an amplifier driving two good speakers. I also have an equalizer between my mixer and amp.

K2GWK Website

Stupidity for Dummies (http://stupidityfordummies.com/)

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »

I tried a 15 band equalizer but it didn't seem to make much difference on SSB. I am considering a 31 band equalizer to get more flexibility within the vocal range of SSB

The 31 channel EQ will make as little
difference as the 15 channel unit. In order to make
the SSB "sound better" you are trying to boost highs and
lows that just aren't there in a received SSB signal.
Due to, as said, the nature of the narrow audio bandwidth
received signal.
You can't boost "low & high audio freqs" that just aren't there.
There are some DSP speakers that can make signals
sound clearer, not sure of that is what you want,
and they are expensive.

I have 2 hf rigs and a scanner.The mixer would allow me to set up speakers
on right and left of my desk and feed audio from radios in various ways.
Shop for USED Radio shack speaker switch boxes.
You can get them really cheap, you will probably need
more than one switch box if you want the "Left or Right Speaker" choice.
Sometimes you can find them even cheaper.
Yeah, they are in cheesy plastic boxes, but they
work fine for these applications!
Like these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shack-4-Way-Stereo-Speaker-Selector-40-244-/111055122973?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item19db66b21d

Good luck with custom speaker setup!
73, Ken  AD6KA
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »

Hilarious: If 15 doesn't work... try 31!  What if 31 doesn't work???

Yep Ken, mostly just common sense. Too many hams are suckers for knobs, sliders, colored lights and meters. SIMPLICITY SHOULD BE A GOAL especially in a contest station. Ideally the only outboard boxes I'd want would be those controlling huge stacks of antennas.

I own some of those old Radio Shack switching units (wow, knobs!). I use the unit you show to switch my keyer between three radios.  Note that they can pick up RF.

As for the mixers and EQ dealies, they too can cause more problems than they cure, especially in stations running high power.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:14:57 AM »

Never change a password on a Friday                
W2ZS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »

Gentlemen,
I tried to keep my question short and sweet, but guess I need to expand on it a bit.
I am well aware that ssb audio is only 3Khz at best. I find the sound from built in speakers to be weak, thin and “tinny”. Communications speakers don’t sound much better. Today I hooked up some quality Hi-Fi bookshelf speakers with a quality Hi-Fi amp and find the sound quality improved. The 15 band EQ did not make much difference, I suspect, because its EQ bands were pretty broad. The 31 band EQ I am considering is the Behringer DEQ2496 (Google it), this little gem is both a graphic equalizer and a parametric equalizer. The DEQ2496 allows you to control center frequency, bandwidth and even the Q of each frequency range (among other things), it’s really a sophisticated DSP processor it its own right. The mixer is because I already have 4 audio channels from 3 radios and plan to add a couple more. The ability to record audio and/or QSO’s would be a nice feature of a mixer also.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »

Gentlemen,
I tried to keep my question short and sweet, but guess I need to expand on it a bit.
I am well aware that ssb audio is only 3Khz at best. I find the sound from built in speakers to be weak, thin and “tinny”. Communications speakers don’t sound much better. Today I hooked up some quality Hi-Fi bookshelf speakers with a quality Hi-Fi amp and find the sound quality improved. The 15 band EQ did not make much difference, I suspect, because its EQ bands were pretty broad. The 31 band EQ I am considering is the Behringer DEQ2496 (Google it), this little gem is both a graphic equalizer and a parametric equalizer. The DEQ2496 allows you to control center frequency, bandwidth and even the Q of each frequency range (among other things), it’s really a sophisticated DSP processor it its own right. The mixer is because I already have 4 audio channels from 3 radios and plan to add a couple more. The ability to record audio and/or QSO’s would be a nice feature of a mixer also.

A friend had one of these (admittedly for transmit audio) and had to sell it. There was always RF in the audio. Be aware that if your antenna is near your shack, you may have problems with primary overload. It was like an RF magnet.

Did you plan on ever running an amplifier?

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
W2ZS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »

My antenna is 100ft from the shack and I run 100watts ... But sure would love to run 1500watts!
Not going to happen any time soon I'm afraid Sad
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 08:31:21 AM »

A few transceivers, the TenTec Orion II being one, provide 3 simple equalizers for both receivers and the transmitter.  It's a menu-adjustable thing and makes a substantial difference on receive.  The adjustment allows you to compensate for lack of low frequency response in small speakers, hearing problems or just to achieve the sound you prefer - full bodied, or sharp. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: