Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEighborts r5andom gunfire.  (Read 4753 times)
AC4BB

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »

Just moved to this QTH last June.  It had been pretty quiet until now, I moved away from a neighbor that loved  to shoot and scoot.  Ride the four wheelers (he had several and shoot a gun at all hours. Not for defense just shooting. Shot my dog one time.
  Yesterday. The people across the road cut loose with what sounded like a cannon?  They must have fired 30 rounds.,  Several neighbors phoned the police about the noise. my dogs and birds got hysterical.  But, living in the County outside the city limits there's no rule against it.  Sad to suddenly get that kind of awakening after being peaceful for so long.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:18:48 AM »

Probably just the local Good Ol Boys responding to a knee jerk reaction of the Boston bombings.Hopefully it will quiet down until the next big event.Have you hung up your rifle in the back window of your pick em up truck yet along with the CSA license plate?
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 05:25:40 AM »

Not at all.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »

Probably just the local Good Ol Boys responding to a knee jerk reaction of the Boston bombings.Hopefully it will quiet down until the next big event.Have you hung up your rifle in the back window of your pick em up truck yet along with the CSA license plate?

JKA:  That's a pretty cheapass shot!  Not called for at all.

BB:  I can sympathize with you..... in a way.... and I say that because too many times I've seen people move into my rural WV area from the city and expect everything to be as they want it.  Even to the point where they become activists to change existing laws to please themselves.

But, be that as it may.....have you checked you local ordinances about discharging a firearm within a specific distance from a dwelling?  Here in WV we're not allowed to discharge a firearm within 500ft of a dwelling.

KE7EYX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »

Go get several of your neighbors together an go visit the one shooting an voice your concerns an suggest that if their gona shoot plese do it between x n x hours of day an not later.  If they blow you off and keep doing then would go to the cops as a group an explain and hopefully they will step in and do something about it.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »

Back a few years ago at the old QTH I had just gotten home from the hamfest and heard the neighbor firing. I told the guy on 2 meters he's at it again.  Heard 2 more shots and then heard his pellets rain down on the shack roof.
  I looked outside and he was shooting Rambo, style with a beer in the other hand.  I asked   What are you doing? "I'm shooting bats."  I told him his pellets were landing on my roof.   He' s about 300 feet away.  He said  "Your a  "D liar" shotgun pellets won't fly that far.
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »

I hear random gunfire at least once a week.  Sometimes it's the Police shooting criminals but most of the time it's criminals shooting each other. 

AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »

BTW:this happened in the morning before the Boston bombings. Unless, My neighbors had super ESP they didn't even know about the Boston bombings until hours later If,then?
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »

unless you're out in the middle of a desert, it's against the law to fire in a residential area.  call the cops every time.  take some video if you can.  these guys need some professional help, even if they end up getting it in 10-year periods with substandard neighbors in very special public housing.

there is a danger the guy will get drunked up one night and aim.  he needs to be dealt with before that.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »

We had a shot come from out of nowhere at the old QTH, that took a chunk of the concrete porch off one afternoon while we were sitting on the swing.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:56:17 PM »

unless you're out in the middle of a desert, it's against the law to fire in a residential area. 
That's not true.  It depends on the state laws and county ordinances.
VE9AAE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »

How well do you know the neighbour?
Stop by with a couple of beers (or coffees, whatever suits you) and bring up shooting.

Don't be confrontational, (not sure if you've ever done any hunting/target shooting) but get to know them as sometimes things like that can be worked out before having to bring the police into it.  Who knows if anyone ever brought it up to him before, if the situation seems "off" then that's different but since you're the newcomer to the area it might be a good way of starting things off.

On a lighter note,
They might be worth knowing if someone REALLY crazy is in the neighborhood.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »

This guy gets regular visits at all hours from the local police dept.  Last time about 5 or 6 cars responded. Not sure if,I want to get cozy with these folks?
VE9AAE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »

Fair enough AC4BB,
that definitely makes my "solution" seem kind of nieve (or even stupid if I may say so) thanks for the additional info.

Hmmmmm,
I'm not quite sure what to tell you, but I hope things do work out for the best.
(and yes, those things can happen up here as well so I certainly don't want to start an argument about the whole 2nd Amendment thing, sometimes you just can't legislate common sense)

73 de VE9AAE!
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »

The best you can hope for is that it stays peaceful.  I just want to blend in and be like the fly on the wall.  After the last incident it's been very quiet and as I, said maybe, it will stay that way? They have couple excellent gun ranges around here hopefully, they'll become members of them?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: