Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna good news, sorta...  (Read 6873 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »

I presented a proposal to my apartment complex management to install a hf wire antenna.  I have no way to  hang it from a tree.  What they agreed to, was an antenna wire around the front and side of my apartment (an end unit in a quadplex).  The catch was that it was to be installed under the new vinyl siding. The new siding is being installed.  I made sure no foil backed insulation was being installed.  Hopefully, it will be finished by next week.  I expect some attenuation. I hope I have no RFI issues.  It will be better than nothing or an indoor antenna.

The point is don't give up on asking for permission from management.  Give a clear, informative presentation.

Randy ka4nma
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:24:26 AM »

Let us know how it works out Randy. At least you realize that antenna may have some issues but at least you have an antenna.

Rick VE3FMC
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »

As soon as it is finished I will let you know how it does. At least it is outside...

Randy ka4nma
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »

Because of extra metal flashing, the work crew did not fully install the antenna.  On to plan C. It is still outside and I need a way to run it inside.  Currently, it is still on the side of the apartment, several feet from the radio room.  I could run it through the living room window and somehow run it to the bedroom, past the TV, cable box, router, and cable modem.  RFI?

Randy ka4nma
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »

What about one of those small round copper magnetic antennas? 

Something for 10-20M or to 40M?   Make a bracket and put it a few feet out your window when you want to use it.   Make it look like a bird feeder or something  Grin   

http://www.eham.net/articles/26572
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »

All kinds of stuff out there...

http://www.kr1st.com/magloop.htm

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2780
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:13:36 PM »

I would like a mag loop antenna, but I am disabled and cannot build anything.

Randy
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »

I think they sell them.  I've heard good things about them and the noise levels.  If I lived near you I'd help you build one because I'm interested in them.

Good luck
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »

Another Loop antenna source: http://www.bluecollarants.com/
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 06:40:08 PM »

I do  not have a balcony and hanging something out of the window would be hard.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »

Randy -

If you can reach the end of the wire outside, use a weatherized 4:1 or 9:1 unun to convert the feed to coax just outside the window. Come in under the window with your coax. If the distance is not over 30' or so, you can even use a very low profile coax like RG-174 with good results, and it will pass thru the window seal with little open gap if any, depending on the seal. Obviously, if you can run larger coax it would be optimal. You will need a good antenna tuner.

For the RG-174 naysayers, look at my log on QRZ. The longest contacts over the past couple of weekends were worked with RG-174 and a magloop (it's been very noisy here lately, and my MFJ magloop is quieter RX than my wire antenna).

How long is your wire now?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: