Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anan 100/D  (Read 71800 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »

Until Mark can reply, I can provide you with a couple of basic differences.  I am an owner of n ANAN-100, and a rank SDR novice.  While 100 and 100D share the same enclosure, the difference ends there.  Perhaps the most important difference is the 100D contains two independent receivers so you can do things like diversity receive and beam forming.  You cannot do this with the 100.  The 100 uses the Hermes board while the 100D uses the Angelia board.  I was very hesitant to order my 100 as I had never purchased and imported a major purchase.  The process turned out to be very simple, and straight forward.  When I provided the correct "Harmonized Tariff Code", my purchase was released to me free of duty.  Early testing of my 100 has been a lot of fun.  I am comparing its operation to my fully loaded K3 station with dual receivers and 24" pan adapter.  I seem to be drawn to 100's controls more so than the K3.  Perhaps it's the multi- function buttons and knobs of the K3 which I find less user friendly to use.  Perhaps it's because I can see where I am and see where I'm going with the ANAN-100's controls.  I seem to be more adept at,"handling" the '100.  In this case though, I'm sure the same could be said for any SDR. After two weeks of ownership, It's far too early to tell if my 100 will replace my K3 for contest operation and CW mode in particular.  But I acquired the 100 more as a learning tool for SDR operation and not as a replacement for the K3.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:20:35 PM by K3GM » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »

Perhaps the most important difference is the 100D contains two independent receivers so you can do things like diversity receive and beam forming.  You cannot do this with the 100.  

Thanks for the info. Here is what I really need to know:

When I bought the Flex 5K I got the extra RX board so I could have 2 RXs. It was only after I got the radio that I found out I really did not need the second RX because the Main RX would RX 2 different freqs on the same band. Icom calls this capability Dual Watch, not sure what Flex called it.

I do a lot of Dxing where the Dx station uses a xmit freq and a different RX freq AKA split freq. I need to monitor both freqs which are always in the same band. Is the Anan 100 capable of doing this or does one have to get the 100D?

Mostly I do this kind of operating on CW. It is very advantageous to have the audio spit where the xmit freq is in one ear and the RX is in the other ear with headphones. Many radios do can this.

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »

You don't need the second RX so long as the Antenna connected to RX one covers all the bans you need.  Since your saying you want the same bans there should not be any issues, the straight 100 would,suit your needs.

Next time I am in the shack (likely tomorrow) I will check the focus issue for you with PowerSDR MRX.

KC9XG

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »

Perhaps the most important difference is the 100D contains two independent receivers so you can do things like diversity receive and beam forming.  You cannot do this with the 100.  

Thanks for the info. Here is what I really need to know:

When I bought the Flex 5K I got the extra RX board so I could have 2 RXs. It was only after I got the radio that I found out I really did not need the second RX because the Main RX would RX 2 different freqs on the same band. Icom calls this capability Dual Watch, not sure what Flex called it.

I do a lot of Dxing where the Dx station uses a xmit freq and a different RX freq AKA split freq. I need to monitor both freqs which are always in the same band. Is the Anan 100 capable of doing this or does one have to get the 100D?

Mostly I do this kind of operating on CW. It is very advantageous to have the audio spit where the xmit freq is in one ear and the RX is in the other ear with headphones. Many radios do can this.

Stan K9IUQ

Both the ANAN-100 and ANAN-100D have multi-rx capability with RX1.  The multi-rx freq range is limited to the sample rate.  When using PowerSDR mRx 3.1.5 at a sample rate of 384khz, 3 receivers are stitched together to give you a panadapter bandwidth of about 1.1mhz, but the multi-rx feature can only tune over a 384khz range.

With the ANAN-100, you can enable RX2, which is a virtual receiver, using the same receiver chain and sample rate as RX1, but the panadapter bandwidth of RX2 is limited to the sample rate of a single receiver.  RX2 can be tuned independently from RX1, or VFO Sync can be enabled to synchronize receivers.  You can work cross band, or any split using RX2 of the ANAN-100.

The main operating difference with the ANAN-100D is that the ANAN-100D RX2 uses an entirely different ADC and antenna connection.  With the recently released OpenHPSDR PowerSDR 3.1.5, you have full diversity operation for the ANAN-100D.  I use a G5RV on RX1 and a Gap Titan on RX2.  Works well with the diversity feature or simply to reduce QSB without Diversity.

RX1 can be placed on one speaker and RX2 can be placed on the other speaker.  With the ANAN-100D, Horizontal antenna on RX1 and a vertical on RX2, it is fascinating to listen to the polarization of a signal change.  The audio moves between speakers as the polarization changes.  When you combine the 2 audio signals, QSB is reduced considerably in many cases.

Internally, the ANAN-100 has a OpenHPSDR designed Hermes board and the ANAN-100D has the Angelia board which incorporates 2 separate Hermes receivers, a bigger FPGA and more memory than the ANAN-100.

HTH,
Bill KC9XG
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »

With the ANAN-100, you can enable RX2, which is a virtual receiver, using the same receiver chain and sample rate as RX1, but the panadapter bandwidth of RX2 is limited to the sample rate of a single receiver. 

I use a G5RV on RX1 and a Gap Titan on RX2.  Works well with the diversity feature or simply to reduce QSB without Diversity.

Bill KC9XG

Thanks Bill for some very helpful and interesting info.

In your 2 antenna configuration does the Anan provide protection from RF on the 2nd RX? Or do you have external protection? How about with more power than 100 watts - using an Amp.

Stan K9IUQ
KC9XG

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »

With the ANAN-100, you can enable RX2, which is a virtual receiver, using the same receiver chain and sample rate as RX1, but the panadapter bandwidth of RX2 is limited to the sample rate of a single receiver. 

I use a G5RV on RX1 and a Gap Titan on RX2.  Works well with the diversity feature or simply to reduce QSB without Diversity.

Bill KC9XG

Thanks Bill for some very helpful and interesting info.

In your 2 antenna configuration does the Anan provide protection from RF on the 2nd RX? Or do you have external protection? How about with more power than 100 watts - using an Amp.

Stan K9IUQ

The OpenHpSDR PowerSDR Ant/Filter tab provides 2 receive options for the ANAN-100 and ANAN-100D.

1.  ATT on TX option allows you to specify the amount of RX attenuation to apply to both RX1 and RX2 during transmit, 0 to 31 db.
2.  RX 1 out on TX option, essentially breaks the path between the selected RX1 antenna and the receiver.

Additionally, during Transmit, the TX/RX relay switches the receive path to ground for both RX1 and RX2(ANAN-100D).  During transmit, the receivers still see plenty of signal, allowing you to observe your modulation or keying etc.

Bill KC9XG
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2013, 02:47:09 PM »

For fun I made a digital Modes comparison Anan 100D & KX3.

http://youtu.be/Ogn9zUi2E68

Both radios hold their own!

I also made a better cuSDR video where you can see and hear better.

http://youtu.be/oypvxy9G_qU

Hopefully my videos will get better now! Smiley

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »

Stan, your in good hands with Bill!  He'll do a,lot better job answering the questions you have!  Nige is not sure he will have a chance to make a CW video, so may Bill can respond to those questions as well.

I am still in the experiment phase testing and comparing.  I would say that the Anan should be equal, close or better than the KX3 as a Reciever.

You know me, just raw honesty, and I would say that for the Money the KX3 makes one heck of an SDR.  I think the discrimination on signals is a little better on the Anan.  The KX3 with roofing filters has some tuning noise.

The Anan though is very very predictable and stable, that's probably the best way I can say it, just very solid as it should be for and SDR.

I would say so far that the audio quality is very solid as well.  I'll know more here over the next videos I make where in at least one I will directly compare audio.  I might even do a three way compare of the Flex 5K, KX3 and Anan 100D.  I got two Mini Circuits Splitters so at a .03DB loss I could run all three radios off one Natenna.

I got the DX Engineering Box since my MFJ 1708 broke after a week.  I have not tried it yet but first impressions are positive on the build.  Anyways I can run the two Reciever outputs to the two splitters I think and equalize things out while transmitting off one of the SDRs.  Some fun ahead!  Should be fun until someone buys my Flex 5K.

I would say that in these tests that the KX3 as a Traditional Reciever out performs it as an SDR in NAP3.  There is a frequency sync bug using the KX3 with Studio 1 that makes it a little harder to compare, but I will recheck that again soon now that the shack is getting back in order.  There have been about 5 times now where I have seen the Aan pick up CW better than the KX3.  Scientific, nah, but starting to add up.

Some more testing ahead as well with the Anan and other software.  I also still need to check the focus issue, I doubt it's different Stan so something to think about.  But here is the thing to keep in mind as well.  An Anan100D will make one heck of a Band monitor.  So with the DX engineering box I could run up all 14 receivers and then run up another with the KX3.  I can't think of anyone with two SDRs being able to creat a more powerful setup unless, of course, they had 2 Anans. Smiley. But seriously, what is a person really going to do with 14 receivers?  Lol. Run their own many NSA?

I think getting an Xverter would be fun as well.

If you want to play as a ham the Anan is literally an SDR playground, not to mention a serious radio in the hands of a skilled ham.

Tim just pointed me to all the Linux development going on as well.  Man oh man!  A whole additional world to explore with QT Radio!

More later when I get there!

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2013, 06:48:37 PM »

This will be the last update for a while for me on the Anan.  Two new articles published.  One on latest experiences with Anan and answers to some questions that were asked.  The other on the EXTIO support and some cool screen shots and a poor quality video on running 5 Anan Receivers and 3 more sub receivers for a total of 8.

http://roaringstar.com/index.php/articles

Feel free to Ping me offline if you have other questions.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »

The Anan is also an expensive radio with a PA that has a 30% duty cycle  for continuous  duty modes. I mean fancy stating that you should be careful
about the filters and other parts burning out at full power .

So along with the poor IMD we have a marginal PA that is operating on its limits on SSB. If you pay so much for radio, you would expect the radio
to achieve its rated power output without worrying about burning the PA and radio up.

This is typical ham engineering at its best stressing everything to the limits rather than producing a conservative well design product. At the end it all spells CHEAP.
The Flex6000 takes the same approach a marginal amplifier in a state of the art radio, that just ruins the total product at the end of the day.

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 06:52:12 AM »

I thought I would share a few new articles I have written about the Anans.

One is on the support model, absolutely critical to understand if you are considering purchasing one of these new radios.  Part 6

The other is on integration.  So this article shows how well the Anan can integrate with other software.  Very much Flexess as for the most part the two radios are completely interchangeable in the integration scheme you will see in Part 7.  A major difference though being that the Ethernet connections and stability overall is rock solid compared to the Flex Firewire complexities.

Also, I found a cool IQ out feature in Power SDR MRX that allows you to use additional Sound Card Software for Panadaptor displays along with Power SDR.  In the example you will see it feeding IQ to Studio 1.

Those articles as well as the rest of my Anan Articles can be found here:

http://roaringstar.com/index.php/articles

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:56:21 AM by NI0Z » Logged

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »

There is now an Anan Hermes SDR Users Net we are trying to get started.

Details can be found here:

http://roaringstar.com/index.php/articles/103-anan-users-net

Next net is on 8/1 if you wish to attend.

K4LED

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »

I have had my ANAN-100D for several months now and enjoying the finest rig I have ever owned. I did not have to even consider the Flex 6700 simply because of cost and lack of availability. The ANAN is a fine rig and the current software mRX 3.1.5 has more current capability than anything on the market and mRX is free and actively being maintained and upgraded. I could not ask for more. I don't think you will find anything close to its capability for $3k today. It works great sounds great and can do anything reasonable and then some. A lot of the misconceptions found here are because your reading comments by folks that don't have the units on their bench to use. While you guys discuss this topic I will go back to using my fine ANAN rigs.  The plain ANAN-100 is just as good using the same software and for $2k it is a bargain buy. But you really have to ask yourself do you really need this new capability for your ham work?  But if you want the cutting edge of communications equipment you can't go wrong with either a Flex or ANAN.  There will be those that  complain about both. While they are complaining ill be enjoying my ANAN with a heavier billfold.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »

Seems the folks for whom the Flex 6000 series price is no issue are above all the ankle biting from the shallow pocket crowd...

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »

No, there is a very different reason.  Go ask them offline and they will give you the answer.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: