Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anan 100/D  (Read 68367 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

Once hams begin to comprehend the power this architecture offers the move to SDR mobile devices and Radio Servers will explode and this will begin the so called Game Change.

The million dollar question I have is, does the ham community have the skilled development resources willing to make the BIG investment needed for this?

Yet another Game Changer? The Present Game Changer is having it's share of difficulties. How about forgetting Game Changers and start thinking affordable. At the present prices few hams are going to buy Game Changers. We need to get the Chinese into the SDR game. Here is my thinking;

After a long time of not having a HT I broke down and bought a Chinese Baofeng dual Band HT. This HT was bought thru Amazon. I paid $40 for it and $12 for the spare battery for a total of $52 w free shipping. A similar HT made by Japan Inc would cost me 7 times as much = $375. I am using a well know Japan HT for comparison. FWIW the Baofeng is quite nice and perfectly acceptable.

Enter the Chinese SDRs. An Anan 100D is now selling for $3000. If the Chinese were making a SDR it could cost 1/7 as much or $428. Now there is the REAL gamechanger. Every ham  will have a SDR in the Shack.

Yeah I hear the naysayers saying it could never happen. I heard the same crap when the Japanese started getting into the Ham Market back in the early 70's. Where are the American Ham names like Swan, Drake, Hallicrafters, Hammurlund etc? The Japanese killed the American Ham Manufacturer with lower prices and a better product.

The same thing has started all over again. I know many  hams that have bought a Chinese HT. The Japanese HT market is going the way of the American Ham manufacturers.

This will be the Game Changer - Affordability

Stan K9IUQ

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2013, 05:31:34 PM »

I bought a Baofeng 666 and it is a good radio for the $20 I paid for it. It's styled like a smaller version of a Vertex handheld. Of course, at 1/6 the price of the Vertex, it's also about 1/6 as robust a build. Still, it works very well.

"The Chinese" took a stab at the HF market and so far, offer half the coverage and a fraction of the actual ergonomics and useability of a FT-817ND, for about half the price.

You get what you pay for.

http://www.kightradio.com/Chinese-X1M-QRP-HF-SSB-CW-Transceiver_p_305.html
M1BJR

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »

An Anan 100D is now selling for $3000. If the Chinese were making a SDR it could cost 1/7 as much or $428.
Now there is the REAL gamechanger. Every ham  will have a SDR in the Shack.
This will be the Game Changer - Affordability
Stan K9IUQ

A fair point, but you cannot buy the chips to make a performance SDR (the Gamechanger rig) like the Flex6x or Anan, Hermes that cheaply.
So it won't matter if you base your company in China.
The UK rep for Flex tells me the FGPAs run them to about $1k wholesale.

Cyclone FGPAs (found in the Anan rig) are made by Altera of California.
The Virtex FGPA (found in the Flex 6700) are made by Xilinx of San Jose too.

Know of any equivalent cheap Chinese FGPA chips?
I think not, but I am open to ideas....

And this application is not suddenly going to make them cost ten bucks, it's a tiny market in the global scale of things (ham radio).
So I don't see the Chinese independently developing this technology too far - there is no financial incentive.

Japanese rig manufacturers? - sure that made sense, especially given the volume of loyal hams in the domestic market.
And most of the technology was not new, nor expensive to implement. As an aside it was popular in the US too.
So a slightly different ball-park.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:16:55 PM by M1BJR » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: