The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRO Technologies, where are they?  (Read 3201 times)
WR6G

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »

Does anyone know if Ray is still in business? I have tried phone and email several times and can't contact the company. No one answers and the message machine is off.

Thanks!
N7ZDR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 07:24:17 AM »

Hello,

I have had the same issue for the couple months (calls and email response).
I finally found Ray's Face Book and was able the TRACK him in a way. I even went to the extreme of calling around the town and try to determine if he moved away or what.

So here's the story----- Ray has been on vacation most of the spring and early summer.
He has move his shop to the opposite end of the building as shown on Goggle Earth next to the smoke shop.
Ray is a very busy man (active in the community)
I sent my amp to Ray last week for repair. I have talked with Ray a couple times this week already regarding the amp repair.
As others had said here already-----Ray's a one man band, and being Semi or very close to retirement. I would get what you need NOW while he's still in town. Unless someone takes over the business---- the writing is on the wall.. Sad

PS---- Ray hates foam packing chips!!
Larry

WR6G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:35:48 AM »

Oh no, that is too bad. I was looking forward to buying a 3KDX. It doesn't sound like there will be any more tech support. I guess the good thing is the amp uses common parts that can be purchased at Digikey, Mouser etc. I guess I should have purchased one awhile ago. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »

Oh no, that is too bad. I was looking forward to buying a 3KDX. It doesn't sound like there will be any more tech support. I guess the good thing is the amp uses common parts that can be purchased at Digikey, Mouser etc. I guess I should have purchased one awhile ago. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

I remember seeing their amps at hamvention years ago. They were well built units. QRO was more focused on glass tubes for many years and more are going ceramic now which likely hurt them.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 08:30:46 AM »

but as others have noted:

"As others had said here already-----Ray's a one man band, and being Semi or very close to retirement."

People reach a certain age and want to retire. happens a lot, or they slow down and can't do what they did five or ten years ago. It happens. 

WR6G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:48:23 AM »

Yeah I hate to see him go it looks like he built a great product. I guess I will have to wait for a used one. Man I really wanted that 3KDX.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »

Yeah I hate to see him go it looks like he built a great product. I guess I will have to wait for a used one. Man I really wanted that 3KDX.

There's a number of manufacturers still making 8877 based amps on different points of the price/feature spectrum.

I have an AL-1500. Others have Alpha 77's, or Alpha 9500's. And very frequently done by homebrewers too.
N7ZDR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 07:03:08 PM »

He's working on my amp this week----8-17-15---- So i know he's in the shop. He said he was also fixing his phone  (landline). Shoot him a email and let him know what you want, you might be surprised.
FYI---I need both hands to turn the band switch in my amp! Shocked

Larry   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: