The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US price of new Icom 7851  (Read 12425 times)
K7CF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »

I visited the Rocket Ham Store in Tokyo and picked up a brochure on the IC-7851 and the cost was 1,100,100 Yen which is $9100 in USA. The price in the USA is $14,449 so I don't get it. It costs about $1500 Rt to fly to Tokyo, I looked up the duty for Ham Radio Transceiver and the duty was listed as Zero dollars and about $300 other costs.
I did not know this at the time, if I could have bought a suit case, paid $150 for the extra bags and brought the rig back to the USA at a much reduced cost.
The brochure is written in Japanese and the price was listed.
Amazing the price point set in the USA of Icom rigs.
The Kenwood TS-990S is about the same price in Japan as it is in the USA.
go Figure.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 07:23:56 PM »

That is odd.  Back in the 80s with Uncle Sam, most stuff from there was cheaper than in the U.S., so the plane was pretty packed on the redeployers.  Yen was I think in the 250 range, if I remember correctly.  It wasn't until later when the dollar dropped to close to 100 yen that all of that electronics hauling from Japan ended, and it became cheaper to buy the same item, including ham gear, in the U.S.  Even today in China and Singapore (in the few ham stores that actually exist), Kenwoods, Yaesus, and Icoms are more expensive than back home.  

BTW K7CF, great looking salmon on your callsign page!  That young man will remember that his whole life.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 09:31:52 AM »

I visited the Rocket Ham Store in Tokyo and picked up a brochure on the IC-7851 and the cost was 1,100,100 Yen which is $9100 in USA. The price in the USA is $14,449 so I don't get it. It costs about $1500 Rt to fly to Tokyo, I looked up the duty for Ham Radio Transceiver and the duty was listed as Zero dollars and about $300 other costs.
I did not know this at the time, if I could have bought a suit case, paid $150 for the extra bags and brought the rig back to the USA at a much reduced cost.
The brochure is written in Japanese and the price was listed.
Amazing the price point set in the USA of Icom rigs.
The Kenwood TS-990S is about the same price in Japan as it is in the USA.
go Figure.

I'm not sure you would have made it through customs unscathed though.  Huh
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »

I came up with zero duty

http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-lookup/689934/hs-tariff-code-for-ham-radio/

I had to put in data transmitter as it didn't give me other options.

"Ham radio was classified as Electronics & Video Games → Other Electronics → Data Transmitter. Edit classification"

However in the sales tax block, it says "Depends on state"

Still using Windows 98  ------------------ for Packet Radio.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 07:55:30 AM »

Back when I visited Tokyo every month on business, I purchased a lot of items.
Before heading to Akihabara, I would check the exchange rates.
I bought a new 706MK2g then they first came out. I paid duty on that one, but soon realized it was more or less the 'honor system'.
On another trip, I purchased a 756PRO the week they were announced. I paid NO duty on that one. Hand carried it on Business Class.

One thing that is strange, is the price of IF filters and other accessories are about 1/2 of what they cost here.

Most of the radio stores cater to the smaller radios. I guess the JAs just don't havre room for the big iron.

ron
N4UE
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 08:27:59 AM »

Is it the same model, exactly, or does the US export require special software changes?  Having to make custom versions for a single market might affect the price?  Just musing here...
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 05:05:44 AM »

How is it that the new Icom 7851 costs $9100(1,100,000 Yen) in Japan but $14,500 in the US?

Gouging the US market or dealers here taking advantage?

This is why Icom sales are total crap. During the time I worked selling part-time, Yaesu and Kenwood dominated the sales. I am really surprised they are still in business. I think their sales in Japan is what keeps them afloat.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: