Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Weird Al RadioShack Commercial  (Read 1648 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:25:04 PM »

Weird Al, the music of Victor Herbert and Heliquads make for a brilliant Shack Christmas ad. I'm guessing this didn't come cheap. Hope they can afford to air it more than once or twice.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-hRPtxig8Y
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »

"Enter Weird Al.

Yankovic, who is enjoying a resurgence in popularity, but may be best-known for his Michael Jackson "Beat It" parody dubbed "Eat It," declined to be interviewed for this story. But Warren says that Yankovic, who hasn't appeared in an ad since a Diet Coke spot in 1984, is a huge fan of RadioShack.

"He's tech-savvy, smart and a social media guru," says Warren. "I don't think there could be a better fit for our brand right now." He's got more than 3.5 million Twitter followers and 1.6 million Facebook fans.

In the spot, filmed last week in Los Angeles, Yankovic breaks into a high-energy song (to the tune of "Toyland") when a RadioShack customer asks if the store carries heliquads, an interactive, remote-controlled helicopter. Yankovic sings that RadioShack is the perfect spot to find gifts for boys, girls "and even cousin Bob, who's 23 and lives at home."

Beyond its advertising, RadioShack also is taking a very different product approach to holiday this year, says Warren. Instead of stocking gobs of merchandise, it is focusing on key products that it thinks will appeal to families, she says. Among those, the Surveyor Drone heliquad at $69.99 and the $99.99 littleBits Kits of smart circuit building blocks for kids.

"We're going to be a lot more strategic this holiday," says Warren.

But one brand guru questions if this will ultimately jolt holiday sales at Radio Shack.

"Weird Al is a great choice because he crosses generations and is part of today's nerd culture," says brand strategist Steven Addis. "But, they've failed to answer the larger question: Why should I go there?"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/11/07/radio-shack-retailing-home-electronics-weird-al-yankovic-holiday-advertising-marketing/18601005/
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »

Good for them I wish them all the best. I'd hate to see more of their stores disappear. Recently I needed a keyboard adaptor in an emergency which I figured they would have. I googlemapped RS and drove to two places only to find them gone. Disappointing.  Eventually I did find an open store later that day and unfortunately they didn't have it but I would have saved a rather futile trip 700 miles from home if I could have found it.

I'll be buying something there this Christmas for my kids. And I hope it helps them along. I would hope others feel the same way too. Even if you just buy BATTERIES LOL
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 06:52:04 AM »

They're done. The body is on life support and the plug is going to be pulled soon. This marketing campaign will be a disaster and when Christmas sales are disappointing as I am sure they will be, the banks will force it into BK. I think this might be the last Christmas we'll see Radio Shack.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »

So I'm watching Saturday Night Live, new show on 11/15, and caught the Weekend Update...
I'm told that Radio Shack will be opening at 8am on Thanksgiving Day for your holiday shopping pleasure and will feature their most popular item:  " Directions to the nearest Best Buy store "

I have a hunch the NBC sales rep who handles the Radio Shack account will be getting a call from Foat Wuth......................

Never change a password on a Friday                
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »

I hope Weird Al asked to be paid upfront.

N8YQX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: