Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ - What more can be said...  (Read 77536 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2014, 07:53:36 AM »

Just had to copy and post this entry from another thread...Icom has QC issues! Say it ain't so! Icom = InComplete Operating Machinery?

Frank
K4FMH

"Main Trading Company - Great Company!
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »
This is the real deal. A real ham store packed with new and used equipment.

I just bought a new Icom 7600 from Richard at MTC.  It had a problem right out of the box.  Shame on Icom for letting this rig out the door.  Richard replaced the rig without any hesitation.

Check out these guys prices too.  I don't think you will find a better price anywhere.  He also gives a afir price on trades.

Give these guys a try.  You won't be sorry.

Hal
W5ZZT"
KF6TIL

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »

I just bought an MFJ 925 auto tuner.  It's the second tuner I've bought from MFJ in the last 15 years.  The first was an MFJ 945E manual tuner.  The MFJ 945e worked without a hitch for years.  Quality control wasn't perfect (one of the screws in the case was stripped) but otherwise I never had a problem with it.  After reading the reviews for the MFJ 925 I expected the worst.  I'm happy to say that it seems to work perfectly.  So all in all, MFJ is 2 for 2 in my book.  Not the prettiest cases nor the highest level of workmanship, but so far my experience with their products has been positive.
NJ2S

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2014, 10:18:29 AM »

mfj is a product that hams can afford , it is not heavy duty like pals-tar but it works if you are careful loading the equipment with low power first  then ramp up the power slowly. or pay twice to their times as much and buy a pal-star. mfj has worked fine for me. bill
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »

mfj is a product that hams can afford , it is not heavy duty like pals-tar but it works if you are careful loading the equipment with low power first  then ramp up the power slowly. or pay twice to their times as much and buy a pal-star. mfj has worked fine for me. bill

I think MFJ gets a bad rap because of quantity. We sell more MFJ stuff than any anyone. And we get more MFJ stuff returned for that reason. Saying that, I think the overall return and poor quality is small, as compared to all the stuff they sell, which is over 2,000 products. I do not think they are anywhere as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I think one problem is that they buy and stamp their name on numerous products, so there are lots of different manufacturers and quality controls, in different locations.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:57 AM »

Hey Vinnie,

Who is the "we" you refer to here? What vendor do you work for? This will give the thread readers a better vantage point from which to evaluate your insight. A mom-and-pop operation's sales would be far different than, say, those of DX Engineering.

Frank
K4FMH

I think MFJ gets a bad rap because of quantity. We sell more MFJ stuff than any anyone. And we get more MFJ stuff returned for that reason. Saying that, I think the overall return and poor quality is small, as compared to all the stuff they sell, which is over 2,000 products. I do not think they are anywhere as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I think one problem is that they buy and stamp their name on numerous products, so there are lots of different manufacturers and quality controls, in different locations.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »

Unofficial voting results to date indicate MFJ is still holding its' position as the dividing point between REAL hams and the plug & play instant shack in the box boys. Wink
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2014, 05:59:11 AM »

SECOND REQUEST...

Vinnie,

Your comments on the now-locked LDG = Poor Quality thread appear at variance on MFJ's product line with your comments here. Your authoritative statements are based on your being a vendor for both companies. My Q is WHERE DO YOU WORK? It's important fir readers to evaluate the weight of your experiences as to whether your experiences come from a small, low-volume reseller or a large, high-volume vendor (e.g., DX Engineering, etc.).

I sent you a PM some time ago without response.

Frank

N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2014, 08:33:23 AM »

I must be lucky or something but I never had a problem with MFJ, Cushcraft or Ameritron. Everything has been fine if not excellent.

Just got a new MFJ-259b to work on some antennas. It works great and in no time flat I discovered the problem was actually in my feedline.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »

At least when you buy from other manufacturers, you don't have loose screws, parts floating around inside the box, badly made solder points, and other things that a good QC department may spot before equipment is shipped.

Mind you, to every one of those incidents there may be many good units of the same item put out, but there are just too many incidents of those kinds reported by people who purchase MFJ equipment versus other equipment.  It isn't that MFJ stuff isn't good, it's just that occasionally, it's poorly assembled--and the QC section somehow misses those units.  It could be simply because most of the MFJ stuff is hand made--and the assembly line is pushed too fast.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »

MFJ is FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR behind in todays technically and business operatives!!!

I have, just recently acquired a new mfj-495 keyer  Because of my rare
physical disability (MUST USE A KEYBOARD)...I must use the mfj-matching keyboard as input. If I want to use my PC (w7/64) to input different memories, I told them there is nothing in their magazines says that!!!...

NOW, customer service says I must acquire "...you will need the mfj-5429,
$ 24.95, usb to serial port adapter..."  I told them nothing, in the magazines, indicate that EITHER !!!!

That's more $$$$

I told MFJ FORGET IT< BYE BYE  NEVER MFJ AGAIN !!!

Ken

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2014, 07:52:56 AM »

Ken,

I'm sorry that you've had trouble getting your MFJ-495 keyer to operate as you intended, especially since you're dealing with a physical disability to boot.

I am taking your comments literally as you wrote them. You purchased this keyer solely based on their magazine advertisements, right?

From my experience, no magazine ad contains the full range of compatibility details. I must admit that I've pulled the purchase trigger on a product or two without fully investigating all of the technical details, only to find out something was amiss in terms of my preferred installation. Live and learned on those! However, it wasn't the fault of the vendor.

MFJ's website has the manual for this keyer as a downloadable PDF. On page 21, it states:

"Keyboard: Accepts most standard AT style keyboards (XT keyboard does not work with the MFJ- 495). The MFJ-551 keyboard is guaranteed to be fully compatible with the keyer and available from MFJ Enterprises, Inc."

It would be cool if the product accepted USB keyboards. But they do not deceive anyone into thinking that it does. I don't know if your disability requires a particular USB keyboard or just any keyboard. If it's the latter, there are AT-style keyboards aplenty, often available for little at Goodwill type shops, eBay, or hamfests.

If I've misinterpreted your narrative, please correct me. If not, I hope you reconsider your anger and learn from not fully reading the technical specs before you order.

Frank
K4FMH
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:13 AM »

you can get a new AT-101 keyboard for ten bucks at a number of places, including the home center Menards in the midwest.  I have two looking for a home with the mini-DIN plug.  if that's your plug, or you have the full-DIN plug for which I have an adapter, email me for one.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »

FB OM! Now that's the ham radio spirit!

Frank

you can get a new AT-101 keyboard for ten bucks at a number of places, including the home center Menards in the midwest.  I have two looking for a home with the mini-DIN plug.  if that's your plug, or you have the full-DIN plug for which I have an adapter, email me for one.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »

MFJ-1786, 1026, 1275, 945E, 1910, 842, 347, all working fine.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2014, 02:15:24 AM »

My MFJ-993B intellituner worked perfectly for five months before it died.   It has been six weeks since they received it back at the factory ...

This is too late to help, but I'll say it in hopes that it might help someone else.  I put my MFJ-927 autotuner in a spot I thought was protected from the weather, but I was wrong about that.  It was fairly full of rainwater when it finally stopped working.

I took off the cover and dried it for a couple of days, then tried the "reset" process.  It failed, several times in a row.  I went through all the diagnostics and resets in the manual, and it wasn't working.  Ordinarily, I would have given up on it after a half-dozen tries, but I had nothing better to be doing, so I kept doing resets.  After maybe a dozen "system resets," the thing suddenly started working right.  :-)  It's been back up for a few months now and works perfectly well now. 

So, short version:  trying LOTS of "system reset" procedures isn't going to hurt, and it might just help.  FWIW.  73!  --ken

always buy 2 for twice the price and one should always work by robing parts back and fourth.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: