Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ - What more can be said...  (Read 87387 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »

Are you referring to a Hygain antenna? Ameritron? MFJ? The downloadable MFJ catalog has many part numbers listed. It's difficult to evaluate your complaint without this info. Have you tried to look up the PN for what you think you need?

No, Martin does not directly deal with customer service reports. Richard Stubbs is in charge of CS. Martin manages five companies with multimillion dollar total sales. I will say that for the month run-up to Dayton, most amateur radio manufacturers (and MFJ now offers over 2,000 products) have all-hands-on-deck to ready for new product launch there and readying the inventory for shipment in the Dayton aftermath...as well as the usual "please bring me an XYZ to Dayton". That's not an excuse for anything but just a practical fact. So a phone call might be in order here. That might be the same for Yaesu, Icom, or Kenwood.

You state on your QRZ page this:

"Remember, you only go around once in this life so make your attitude and behaviour appropriate and kind/respectful to others. God bless and see you on the bands."

Your declaration of MFJ employees being "ass holes" appears a bit hypocritical, wouldn't you say? May God indeed bless you and help you stay true to your ideals!

Frank
K4FMH

I doubt Martin bothers to get involved with Customer complaints.  For the past month, I have filled out countless Customer Support forms asking for a PN and price for an antenna replacement part due to their poor QC.  Antenna is intermittent on RCV and need to replace some components, but alas, the instruction sheet doesn't provide any part number or pricing.  To date, I have not heard from MFJ Customer Service.  I wish I could take this antenna to them and shove it up their behind....I am thru with these ass holes....
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:06 AM »

As it turns out, this was a Cushcraft product and issue. The manager of Customer Service, Richard Stubbs wrote me this morning that this issue has been resolved.

Guess I'm lucky. I've never had an issue with any MFJ company product. Not even a bad solder joint. I have had issues with LDG and Yaesu. LDG immediately sent me a replacement part while Yaesu never responded. I sold that product "as is".

MFJ sells over 2,000 products now. I'm sure there's a lot of "inherited" parts (older Mirage, Cushcraft, Hygain) that later got modified or changed in product revisions. But it's still their responsibility if they sell the product. Richard Stubbs does a heck of a job to bend over backwards to support customers....even when they call his employer "ass holes" on eHam! Indeed, God bless you Richard...and enjoy Dayton!
KU4C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 07:46:32 AM »

Martin F. Ju has put together a good company in MFJ.  The equipment generally works well and is a good deal for the dollar.  I have had no problems with the few returns that were sent to the company after I called them first.  I have tuners, electronic keyers, a portable paddle and small electronics that were MFJ made, that have worked well and lasted many years.  Their demise would leave a big void in the commercial ham world and they would be sorely missed. Jim KU4C
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »

MFJ makes a whole range of products that you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else and surprisingly they are not bad looking products.  With that said so long as you realize that what you are buying may or may not be fully assembled, it  becomes a lot less aggravating to deal with MFJ.  If you have no skills at soldering etc. I would recommend you stay away, if not it's always good for a few laughs to open up an MFJ product and find something rattling around.  Grin
KC8EQF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 01:10:44 PM »

Recently, I ordered a MFJ 9406. the radio they sent was the wrong one, it was a MFJ 9420. Sent That back and MFJ sent a 9406 and it didn't work, sent it back They sent me another 9406 that didn't work either. I gave up and got my money back. I bought a 9406 years ago, it performed perfectly. I had a family emergency and had to sell it, I really regret that. MFJ Enterprises is nothing compared to what they used to be,  :'(really sad. Richard needs to get his act together!
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 06:39:46 AM »

Hi Frank KC8EQF,

Could you help the Forum thread readers better understand your problems with the six meter transceiver, MFJ 9406? You said that an earlier one "worked perfectly" but the two recent ones "didn't work". What about it did not work? It didn't power up, it wouldn't receive, transmit, etc.?

I'm not questioning your experiences but it would help with any complaint to have a few more details.

Frank
K4FMH
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 07:00:31 AM »

Ok...looks like this was yet another drive-by shooting at MFJ! No statement of what did not work, etc.

Look at the latest review of the HyGain TH3 MK4 beam antenna by N3IYR. He has admittedly never owned the product from Hygain since MFJ saved that line from extinction! Yet he trashes the product based on not one direct experience of his own. Now that is Junk!

Complain about Richard Stubbs, Director of Customer Service at MFJ, when you have personal facts and experiences to warrant it. He works his behind off with a "no matter what" guarantee that Martin Jue instituted years ago. I know this from direct observation at the plant. It is not something that I heard from someone else, read about online, and so forth. You won't find a nicer guy in the customer service business in any industry. Still, everyone makes mistakes. Raise hell and post it here when you have personal and explicit facts, not here say.

That is the only way these Company Reviews have any integrity.
WA6KYR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »

My score card on MFJ.  Products with no problems : 2 high voltage variable capacitors,
Electronic keyer,  a recent purchase of an  mfj259b,  fibreglass pole.
A  Product that developed a problem: after 10 years of service an mfj 259b. I sent this in for repair and asked them to double check that the repair was fixed.  I got it back and now I own 2 working mfj 259b"s.
So my luck has been 5/6*100= 83% good.
Thank goodness for MFJ
thank you,
  Richard wa6kyr
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 07:49:01 AM »

Back in December I ordered a 17m mini ham stick antenna and the 5 inch magnetic mount to go with it.  Took it on a trip to Iowa and back from Oklahoma.  The mini hamstick outperformed my wildest expectations for a 3 foot tall antenna.  Made QSOs all the way up and back on it and worked lots of DX as well.  Used it again over Memorial Day and the hamstick performed great again.  I ordered the 20 meter model as well but haven't gotten around to getting it tuned and going yet.

On the way back to Oklahoma last Wednesday the magnetic mount fell apart.  Not sure why, but one factor might have been that I was doing around 80mph (speed limit is 75 in Kansas) into a very strong headwind.  Decided to see about MFJ's 1 year no matter what warranty.

I mailed the mobile mount back on Friday, May 31 to MFJ by priority mail.  Tuesday, June 4 they call me to say that they received it and would be getting a new one right out to me.  Thursday, June 6 UPS just dropped off my new mobile mount from them.  NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!  They fixed a Mirage 6m amp for me once also fairly quickly and for $25 for a repair fee, as it was out of warranty. The only other company that has had this type of quick, inexpensive service for me was Ranger when the backlight went out in my 5054DX 6 meter rig.

John AF5CC
NN4X

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »

Anyone notice the July 2013 QST review on the MFJ-9992 transmatch?  They had more than a few problems with shoddy quality.

Whoda thunk?  ;-)

W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »

Anyone notice the July 2013 QST review on the MFJ-9992 transmatch?  They had more than a few problems with shoddy quality.

Whoda thunk?  ;-)

Wow what a surprise, a MFJ product with a QC problemS.  Who would have ever thought that could possibly happen, right Frank?  Must be just an inexperienced Test Engineer at the ARRL.  Roll Eyes

John  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:56:57 PM by W5JON » Logged
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 03:09:57 AM »

The MFJ-993B failure went something like this: Click, click, clack, clack, snap, crackle, pop then a pffft of smoke as the needles went to infinity.  I did not think of soaking it in water.  Anyhow, we are going on eight weeks without any response to my rapidly shortening patience.  It's really a shame they are behaving like this as there are a lot of items in the MFJ catalog I wanted to add to my & XYL's shack.  Next tuner will be a LDG as I have had no problems whatsoever using a Z-817. 

Mine stopped working a few days after I bought it. Took it back to HRO and got a LDG 600PROII and its working great.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »

John,

Glad to see you're alive...thought the hurricanes might have blown you away in St. Kitts.

So that eHam readers can see the exact issues that Joe Hallas raised in his review of one MFJ and two Palstar antenna tuners in the current QST, let's quote him directly:

"Our '9982 came from the factory with a rotary inductor that made intermittent contact, making it virtually impossible to successfully adjust to different loads. It was sent back to MFJ under warranty and returned making good contact, although the resulting cranking force was higher than that of the other tuners in the review. While testing at home, I found that I was having trouble with resetability and determined that the turns counter indicator was slipping. Upon opening the cabinet, it was evident that the nylon gear that drove the counter was not meshed sufficiently with the mating gear on the inductor shaft. By loosening two screws on the drive housing, I was able to pivot the assembly and engage the gears. It worked satisfactorily after that, and was considerably quieter in operation. MFJ has since advised that they are addressing these issues in production.

One concern with the AT2KD was that we found that it would match both shorts and opens on some bands as shown in Table 3. The precautions described in the MFJ-9982 section should be taken with the AT2KD.

Bottom Line: ....Either one would be a great addition to any shack."

Thus, he found that the rotor inductor on the test unit was not set properly. And, the turns counter was slipping. These were manufacturer problems in production. How many units had or have this problem? We don't know. But I'm sure that the production process has been changed to verify that this will be checked. In Joe Hallas' case, it did not make enough impact for him to now say it would be a "fine addition" to any shack.

Both Palstar and LDG (see pmraiders' comment) have good reputations for their antenna tuners. I had an LDG 600 Pro in my shack. They left out a part when it was shipped to me (via Cheapham.com). When I let Frank @ Cheapham know about it, both sent the replacement part. But I didn't "dog" LDG for something that happens from time to time at most companies. It's a good tuner. So is the MFJ-925 I use with my FT-857D. My comment, John, is what did MFJ do about this issue? They fixed it and the customer (Hallas) gave it a "fine" review. Now, you're no Joe Hallas and neither is pmraider, I suspect, so your mileage will indeed vary.

Watch out for those hurricanes as a "permanent resident" of St. Kitts!

Anyone notice the July 2013 QST review on the MFJ-9992 transmatch?  They had more than a few problems with shoddy quality.

Whoda thunk?  ;-)

Wow what a surprise, a MFJ product with a QC problemS.  Who would have ever thought that could possibly happen, right Frank?  Must be just an inexperienced Test Engineer at the ARRL.  Roll Eyes

John  
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 05:00:39 PM »

Thus, he found that the rotor inductor on the test unit was not set properly. And, the turns counter was slipping. These were manufacturer problems in production. How many units had or have this problem?

Whoda thunk?  ;-)

John  

Frank,

What jumps out during the review, the ARRL sent the Tuner that was being reviewed back for repair and it is returned with ANOTHER problem.  I would have thought it would have been COMPLETELY CHECKED OUT PRIOR to return. And please do not give me the it was rough shipping excuse.

Perhaps if MFJ had proper QC procedures, they would know how many, and when the "manufacturer problems in production" started.  The ARRL Testing should not be the one to find MFJ "manufacturer problems in production". How long would the problem have gone on had the ARRL not Tested this Model.

Frank, when MFJ screw's-up, they screw up, it happens to everyone. Face the facts, and stop always making excuses for them, they just screwed-up, and the ARRL caught them TWICE.

John
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:53:22 PM by W5JON » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »

John,

I've always said that if MFJ screws up (based on facts, not innuendo), they, like all companies, should be called on it. The ARRL review unit did have two consecutive problems on this particular unit. But why does the ARRL test lab NOT AGREE with your assessment and rated it a "fine addition" to any shack? I'm not making any excuses. Period. I'm just quoting QST. Ergo, what jumped out to two eHam posters did not jump out to Joe Hallas! Why is that?

Frank

Thus, he found that the rotor inductor on the test unit was not set properly. And, the turns counter was slipping. These were manufacturer problems in production. How many units had or have this problem?

Whoda thunk?  ;-)

John  

Frank,

What jumps out during the review, the ARRL sent the Tuner that was being reviewed back for repair and it is returned with ANOTHER problem.  I would have thought it would have been COMPLETELY CHECKED OUT PRIOR to return. And please do not give me the it was rough shipping excuse.

Perhaps if MFJ had proper QC procedures, they would know how many, and when the "manufacturer problems in production" started.  The ARRL Testing should not be the one to find MFJ "manufacturer problems in production". How long would the problem have gone on had the ARRL not Tested this Model.

Frank, when MFJ screw's-up, they screw up, it happens to everyone. Face the facts, and stop always making excuses for them, they just screwed-up, and the ARRL caught them TWICE.

John
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: