Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ - What more can be said...  (Read 78042 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2013, 08:07:24 PM »

The title of this thread is MFJ-What more can be said. Here's another thing that should be said...

If you are on Facebook and "Like" the MFJ Enterprises page (over 6,800 have), you are getting a preview of new products from their 2014 catalog, posted by Richad Stubbs, who lays out the catalog. MFJ continues to innovate with new products ranging from the cleverly simple to the complex. Martin continues to identify new solutions to issues that hams face. These now total well over 2,000 products, over 90% of which are made or assembled in the U.S.

Buy'em if you want. Ignore'em if you wish. But MFJ continues to focus on amateur radio where many companies have relegated ham products to secondary status.

Frank
K4FMH
WA6KYR

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2013, 09:03:01 AM »

I needed a butterfly capacitor for my homemade  Magloop so I purchased it from MFJ.
  I made a portable tuner so I purchased the  variable capacitors from MFJ.  I bought a Cushcraft MA5B from Cuscraft many years ago.  If I needed spare parts I could obtain them from MFJ (Cushcraft).   I have a Mirage amp I bought 27 years ago, if I had a problem where would I get parts and get it fixed?  MFJ could.   Of course the MFJ259b is a must have device.  If it breaks you can have it repaired easy enough at MFJ.  I would just recommend you pay extra to have them double check that each feature on the MFJ259b works.  Now you know the pluses and how to fix the minuses.  Quit bashing this company.  If you could do better than MFJ and make a profit then open your own company and compete.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »

I got my ham license in 1994 and bought a MFJ versa tuner along with my Kenwood TS450.  I was told by an old timer to open up the tuner and check to make sure as he told me MFJ = Mighty Fine Junk.  So I did and found extra screws, balls of solder on the bottom of the chassis and cold/poor solder joints which I quickly fixed.  Same for an Ameritron AL811 amp I got the following year where the T/R relay without a chassis had cold solder joints.  I fixed those up and they worked for 10+ years no problem.  I sold the tuner and picked up a Palstar AT-Auto then now HF-Auto.  I sold the amp a few years ago in excellent operating condition after owning it for 17 years, for a Tokyo Hy-Power HL1.2 then Elecraft KPA 500.

That said their exit QC my not be the greatest and other things I owned was excellent right out of the box, but once dressed up it works for years and years.  Yes it's 50-50 and the stuff I owned lasted a long time but stuff is innovative and relatively inexpensive that most of us can afford or start out with.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N5GZH

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2013, 07:57:09 AM »

The shame about MFJ is that they have such an innovative and well designed line of products that  come up short somewhere between the drawing board and delivery.  I have had good luck with a number of their manual transmatches.  But  I recently received the 993B ext. auto tuner and I have to say it does not look all that water tight.  The housing looks like it was assembled by someone wearing binoculars on backward.  A $300.00 dollar product  marketed to live outdoors should absolutely be up to the task. Rather than try to return it to MFJ, I will probably do the "MFJ thing" and work it over with some silicone caulk.

I guess we get what we pay for (or less).   I don't expect Palstar or Collins at MFJ prices.  But a little more attention to QC and better documentation would
sure be nice. 

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »

The reason why MFJ keeps selling poorly assembled and often non-working equipment is simple: you people keep buying it.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »

AH6OK, why did you sell the THP for the KPA? I have a THP 1.2, and I am curious...
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »

The reason why MFJ keeps selling poorly assembled and often non-working equipment is simple: you people keep buying it.

Not true.  What keeps them doing it would people not returning the merchandise, either fixing it themselves or selling it to someone else.  BTW: I have bought a couple of things from them and have no complaints.  One is an antenna analyzer and the other a switching power supply.  Both work as advertised and were much less expensive than some competitors. Had they not worked or had problems, they would have been returned as many times as needed until they were corrected - all on their dime.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »

I needed a butterfly capacitor for my homemade  Magloop so I purchased it from MFJ.
  I made a portable tuner so I purchased the  variable capacitors from MFJ.  I bought a Cushcraft MA5B from Cuscraft many years ago.  If I needed spare parts I could obtain them from MFJ (Cushcraft).   I have a Mirage amp I bought 27 years ago, if I had a problem where would I get parts and get it fixed?  MFJ could.   Of course the MFJ259b is a must have device.  If it breaks you can have it repaired easy enough at MFJ.  I would just recommend you pay extra to have them double check that each feature on the MFJ259b works.  Now you know the pluses and how to fix the minuses.  Quit bashing this company.  If you could do better than MFJ and make a profit then open your own company and compete.

I don't think most of the people who buy MFJ products are looking to open their own company and out-compete MFJ, they just want the product they have purchased to work as specified and have a certain level of quality and reliability.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »

AH6OK, why did you sell the THP for the KPA? I have a THP 1.2, and I am curious...

Just lazy, wanted to track frequency changes automatically.  I love and do miss the THP 1.2.  My son was 4 and he would turn the dials and press switches without me knowing on everything (rig, tuner, linear, etc.) so when was in a qso, the safetys tripped on the THP.  keep the 1.2 because it's an awesome amp, I might save up for the THP 2500  Cheesy  He's 7 now and knows better and also gets involved in my qsos, sometimes dropping my callsign so it was only for a short time.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:12 PM »

Thanks for the info, Delwyn.
KB8ASO

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

"I don't think most of the people who buy MFJ products are looking to open their own company and out-compete MFJ, they just want the product they have purchased to work as specified and have a certain level of quality and reliability."

I could not agree more. If MFJ had to sell to a major retailers such as Walmart, Costco, Amazon, Sears etc. would never survive. The return rate under products would be much greater than a major retailer would or could live with.  Many of their products have good engineering behind them ( some are questionable ) and the ham engineers that Martin contracts with are usually at the top of their game.  As for quality-control being in place, that maybe true as there are QC stickers with peoples initials on them.  I feel that they are doing something but obviously not enough or in the right places. There are just too many stupid quality issues among the products that are complained about here on Eham and I've also experienced personally.

Randy AB9GO
W0JRT

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2013, 11:09:22 AM »

My MFJ experience (still unfolding): I ordered a receiver kit and enclosure.  They sent an e-mail indicating the enclosure had shipped.  I expected a square-ish box but received a rather long box.  Inside was an antenna that I didn't order.  I also found a packing list that had a different customer's name & address.  I contacted MFJ via their web site but they have yet to respond.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »

IMO anyone buying a MFJ product should consider it a semi built Kit and treat it as such.  If you look at it that way then you wont get upset.
NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2013, 08:03:08 AM »

LIKE I HAVE STATED PREVIOUSLY, I BUY MFJ PRODUCTS, SHAKE THE BOX BEFORE I OPEN IT, AND THEN OPEN BOX, TAKE CLAM SHELLS OFF AND CHECK IT OUT. SELDOM DO I FIND ANY PROBLEMS. I CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MFJ BECAUSE THEY GIVE HAMS PRODUCTS THAT NO ONE ELSE WILL PROVIDE. I HAVE A ROOM FULL OF MFJ PRODUCTS AND IT ALL WORKS, (SOME FOR 20 YEARS).
GO BRONCOS AND MFJ.
W8ASA

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »

What NY7Q said. I have an MFJ 4245 power supply and 949E tuner in my shack at the moment. Both have been with me for at least 7 years, and neither has given me any hint of trouble.

I recently purchased an AV-680 from them (Hy-Gain division) for my club. Something was wrong with the matching network box, so I sent it back last week. They received it yesterday, and I am awaiting word on what they will do about it. If they repair or replace it within a reasonable amount of time, I'll continue to think well of them.

I've heard horror stories, and I've heard great reviews, but like NY7Q said, who else supports ham radio to the extent that Martin and his folks do?

Ken - W8ASA
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: