Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you never worked a robot ?  (Read 3816 times)
F5FRM

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2013, 06:11:37 AM »

I share this info as I find the job very impressive. A local radioclub, F5KCK, has built a 24/24 CW robot that you can work on 28.110, QSX 750hz up. He is calling CQ every 5 min. He sends at your own speed and he can answer to several questions. I worked him several times with my bugkey and it often happened to me to smile, thinking I was not working a humain being but a computer.

As the propagation is becoming better on 10m, you may give a try ?
You can find more info on www.f5dm.fr
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:33:46 AM by F5FRM » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:19:39 AM »

A grainy picture of "Z80 OP", which made the first automated CW QSO's in 1986 Field Day, is in this powerpoint:

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/ContestBanquet.ppt
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:54:26 AM »

Now all we need is robots that can tune the bands and work other robots then automatically submit the log. They could even send a text message to our cell phones when the robot is issued the DXCC award.  Grin
F5FRM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:26:40 PM »

Thanks for the Z80 OP info !

Yes, a robot to work other robots would be funny. I am just wondering what they would have to say to each others. An ideas nets improvement, until they decide to exterminate mankind !  Roll Eyes

But the technical aspect is very interesting, even if I am not fond at all of all reverse beacons, skimmers, etc. It is useful to train and to check if your straight key or bug key sending is good enought to be readable by a computer.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:16:06 PM »

I read an amusing story in, I think, CQ magazine many years ago where a guy developed a computer that could operate totally independent of human intervention.

That included calling CQ, establishing a contact, exchange signal reports, and print out a QSL card.  The operator checked on this computer every few days and found that he had achieved WAS, WAC and DXCC the first week!

There's no doubt in my mind that this will eventually happen!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »

I think I heard two reverse beacon stations giving each other 599 signal reports the other day.
AA5TB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »

I worked a robot station on the Russian satellite RS-10 over 20 years ago.

Steve - AA5TB
JAHAM2BE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 04:03:52 AM »

JF1OZL has an amusing comment on this phenomenon on his web page here, point number 17:

http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/proposal.htm

Basically, he says that most hams don't homebrew anymore. The rig is almost always store-bought; the antenna is frequently store-bought; the ham is interested only in the operation. But if the operation is also automated by software, then what is the role of the ham? His sardonic answer: the ham's role is then just to spend money on the station. Smiley

F5FRM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 04:15:06 AM »

Or to push his callsign of the top of the dxcc / other diplomas lists / local town historic top dxers, etc ?

It would not work anymore without a narcissistic return on investment.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »

JKA:  Very funny   Cheesy
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »

Yes, a robot to work other robots would be funny. I am just wondering what they would have to say to each others.

They will be saying "5NN 123" (or whatever the next incremental serial number will be). I am sure it will not be long till the CW Simmer technology will be used to FIND the stations, TUNE onto them, and ANSWER them in contests. Why would somebody cheat like this? To see if they can do it.

paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: