Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baufeng UV-5RA having problems programming with CHIRP and VIP software  (Read 7462 times)
KG7CQE

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »

I just got my license and bought a Baofeng UV-5RA with version BFB297
I was finally somehow able to get the computer to see the radio but I cannot upload anything to the radio. The upload to radio wasn't highlighted and I couldn't click on it.
Now I'm trying to mess with it again and I cannot even get it to hook up to the computer again. I've tried every COM port but it will not connect anymore.
I know some people said something about the pins being too short but I don't think that's my issue. It came with the headset and that works fine and the pins are the identical length coming out of the plastic so it's getting a good connection.

Any assistance would be great.
Thanks
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:59:58 PM »

Some questions:

Are you using a hardware serial port or USB to serial converter?

If you are using a USB to serial converter, what chip (FTDI or Prolific) is in it?

Are you having trouble with both CHIRP and VIP software?

Are you reading from the radio before trying to write to it?
KG7CQE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »

I'm using the cable that came with the radio. It goes directly from the radio to to USB and plugs into the USB port on the computer.
Yes, having trouble with both CHIRP and the VIP software that came with the radio,
I tried both reading and writing and getting no radio connected errors on both CHIRP and VIP.
Thanks
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »

Check your com port settings, it defaults to com3. Also check the com port speed. It defaults to 19200 but this is too fast for the Baofeng. Change the speed to 5600 or slower and it might start working. I had this issue with my Wouxun.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »

I'm using the cable that came with the radio. It goes directly from the radio to to USB and plugs into the USB port on the computer.
Yes, having trouble with both CHIRP and the VIP software that came with the radio,
I tried both reading and writing and getting no radio connected errors on both CHIRP and VIP.
Thanks
Try reloading the USB driver and then make sure you selecting that port in the software.  Also, make very sure the cable is inserted fully into the radio - I had a problem with that in the past.
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »

I run CHIRP under Linux - but I had to update to the latest version before my UV-5R+ was supported.  This might be your problem.
KG7CQE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »

I do not see anything on the CHIRP or VIP software about changing the baud rate.
What tab would that be under?
KG7CQE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 02:40:40 PM »

I'll try reloading the driver and also run in Linux
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »

I do not see anything on the CHIRP or VIP software about changing the baud rate.
What tab would that be under?
You can't change the speed in Chirp, you need to use device manager in Windows to access the com port settings. Chirp and VIP use the default port settings transfered via Windows to Chirp.
KG7CQE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »

I finally got the radio hooked up through my XP computer at home.
I switched the USB to another port and it finally saw the radio and programming was a breeze.

I still couldn't get it to connect to my Windows 7 computer at work after trying everything and installing and re-installing drivers.
I followed these directions and it connected right up.
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Drivers.html

WOW, a week of frustration and finally got it connected.

Woo Hoo Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: