Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mk V FT1000MP noise at power up  (Read 662 times)
N1FAM

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »

I have a Yaesu MkV FT1000MP that i am wondering if I am seeing the start of a problem. Lately when I power on the unit I hear a constant hiss or wine (don't know how else to describe it) from the time I push the power button until I hear receive audio out of the speaker. The sound is not very loud but it is steady and constant. It appears to be an ambient sound coming directly from the radio. It is not coming through the speaker. I do not remember hearing anything in the past. I pulled the upper cover and still was not able to pin point the source. If I had to guess I would say it was coming from some where in the back right (looking at the face) quadrant of the radio. I have also heard this noise when I push the MIC PTT and modulate the radio. The sound is always the same sound but may vary at times in duration. Should it matter, SSB is the mode selected when I power on. I was wondering if anyone else with a FT1000 or like radio experienced/noticed anything similar. Is it an issue? Could it be something happening in the Transmit/Receive switching transistor area? Is there something I should check now before damage or more damage happens? Any thought, guidance, and suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »

The cooling fan?   Check for dirt or dust unbalancing the blades first. 
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »

There used to be a website run by a VE that dealt with all things FT-1000MP Mk V.  I used to own one and my memory of it is fading, but I believe that one potential source of the noise is the DC/DC converter that drives the front panel display.  Is your display as bright as it should be?  If not, that's a pretty good indicator of a problem in that area.  Even when working correctly, the display on the earlier units might be dim and there was an article regarding a fix involving shortening the high voltage leads from the DC converter to the display.  That mod corrected the problem for me.

73, Floyd - K8AC
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »

Stick FT1000 in eHam's links search and you get a few hits, one of which is:

http://www.va3cr.net/

-Mike N2MG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: