Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Kia Sorento antenna mount advice needed  (Read 5023 times)
W84IT

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »

I have a Yaesu FTM-350 I'm planning to install in my Sorento.  After looking through catalogs I thought I'd found an acceptable mount / antenna combination in the Diamond K400SNMO and NR72BNMO.  When I got down to trying to attach the mount to the hatch however, it quickly became clear to me that it was not going to work.  With so many Sorentos on the road, someone must have solved this problem already.

My restrictions are as follows:  No drilled holes, and no antennas so tall that the XYL has to lower it to go through a drive-thru.  A luggage rack mount would be acceptable, but I've yet to find one that provides grounding.  Any experience that can be shared would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
AB3KD
Jay
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »

When I got down to trying to attach the mount to the hatch however, it quickly became clear to me that it was not going to work.

For those of us who don't own that Kia, what was the issue with the K400 mount?

My restrictions are as follows:  No drilled holes, and no antennas so tall that the XYL has to lower it to go through a drive-thru.

That antenna is only a bit more than a foot high.  I doubt you're going to find anything smaller.  What about mounting somewhere on the front fender?  You might even be able to go with something a bit taller in that location.

Any experience that can be shared would be greatly appreciated.

My experience involves drilling holes and disregarding the XYL when it comes to antenna issues, so can't help you there.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:46:17 AM »

Your solution has three words in it; "magnetic mount antenna." Try the MFJ 1722/S for $14.95. We have used one on the wife's Mustang for over 5 years with great results. Small, stealthy, flexible and good performance. It has a very strong magnet for its size, so I put a layer of auto scuff tape on the bottom so it can be removed for washing.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:01:22 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
W4LVH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:59:31 AM »

Jay,

Did you ever find a solution to your mount for the Kia?  Have a 2011 myself, and am looking to put a simple external antenna on it for my 2m/440 HTs.  Just something basic to hit my local repeaters, tune in NOAA WX radio, etc.

Thinking about a lip mount on the hood/back hatch.  Don't want to drill, would rather not do a magnetic mount (had one on another car before, led to fading/circular patterns that I am not interested in).  Interested to see what you came up with.

Loyd
W4LVH
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:41:15 AM »

Did you ever find a solution to your mount for the Kia?  Have a 2011 myself, and am looking to put a simple external antenna on it for my 2m/440 HTs. 

Loyd, I got a 2013 Soul a few months ago.  I don't use VHF/UHF much, but just so I had the capability, I put a lip-mount on the top of the rear passenger door, with a simple 2m/440 quarterwave on it, 3/8x24 mount.  Seems to work fine.  Email me off the group if you want me to send a photo.  73 GL!  --ken
GI0EWP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:26 AM »

Hi Lyod from John currently in the Middle East ..have a 2011 Sorrento myself and just ordered up a new FT-8900 which I hope to install in my Sorrento once I get back home in 3 weeks. Would be interested to know where or how you ran your power leads from. I know that using the cigarette lighter socket is a No No unless for receiving only and I know that you can,t simply tap into the wiring loom. Is there any route through to the cabin via the bulkhead from the engine side - any info would be welcome ..best regards John
Jay,

Did you ever find a solution to your mount for the Kia?  Have a 2011 myself, and am looking to put a simple external antenna on it for my 2m/440 HTs.  Just something basic to hit my local repeaters, tune in NOAA WX radio, etc.

Thinking about a lip mount on the hood/back hatch.  Don't want to drill, would rather not do a magnetic mount (had one on another car before, led to fading/circular patterns that I am not interested in).  Interested to see what you came up with.

Loyd
W4LVH
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:06:39 AM by GI0EWP » Logged
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »

sell the kia, get a ford F 150 crew cab and mount antennas all over the bed rails. 

Seriously, I had to deal with KIA INC. for a warrenty problem several years ago  on a kia spectra and in the end they did not fix it, and said in so many words to go pack sand.  actually they said We have more money for better lawers so go ahead and sue us.  Sold the car, and will never buy anything from kia again.
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 06:09:45 PM »

Why not try a lip mount? The one I have swivels so you can attach it to the back tailgate and turn it so the antenna is pointed up and when you open the talgate it doesn't hit the roof either. I was very limited installing mine to a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT which is a hatchback and had curves in the tailgate but still managed to install it and it works great.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:09:20 AM »

Why not try a lip mount?

The OP had. The K400 is a lip mount.
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 08:12:58 AM »

>>> My experience involves drilling holes and disregarding the XYL when it comes to antenna issues, so can't help you there. <<<

Gotta agree with Mark.
Drill the darn hole. ( I would go with a Larsen and a NMO mount)
Just my $0.02c

((((73)))) Milverton.
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »

Why not try a lip mount?

The OP had. The K400 is a lip mount.
Sorry, not familiar with the K-400
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: