Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is this Antenna ?  (Read 2294 times)
W4KEN

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:33:14 PM »

I got a 3 element trap yagi antenna that was disassembled. I was told it was a Hy-gain model. After laying out the parts I can see that it doesn't look like a Hy-gain because of the following. It uses Large diameter single traps. These are identified with color coded lables(red,green,and blue-radiator,etc.) It doesn't have a "beta-match"-rather, it looks like the driven element is directly connected to the coax.The mounting of the driven element is almost exactly like the Hy-gain style with insulators that are mounted into a clamp that surrounds the boom like Hy-gain. The director and reflector mounts are not like Hy-gain. The mounts are made from aluminum extrusion and have a cirular opening to mount to the boom and a wide flat top that the element bolts to on top of the boom with two u bolts. Does anyone know what make and model this 3 element beam is. It has a 2 inch boom 15 feet long, I know it is a 10-15-20 meter beam. But what Make and model is it . Thank Ken (W4KEN) w4ken@bellsouth.net  See picture the clamp on the right are what go on the end of the boom.  ~~~~  http://linuxceptional.com/Scan0006.jpg
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:33:26 AM by W4KEN » Logged
AJ4CU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 04:15:10 AM »

Hi,

Maybe some pictures of the antenna laid out on your yard to assist with an ID...

AJ4CU
Hari
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:46:03 AM »

It could be a rebuilt Hy-Gain that met a wind storm or a tower drop and didn't fare well. He could have been running it with a balun in between the driven elements and the coax. I ran a three element single band beam like that, without the included gamma matcher, for years and the performance was outstanding!  Grin

My suggestion would be to box it up, send it to my address and let me try it out for a while. I will let you know what I think.  Wink  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:06:54 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:31:48 AM »

My first thought was a Mosley CL-33 until you described the feedpoint.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder if this might be a Wilson SY-33, given the color coding you describe.  But, the mounts for the reflector & director don't fit the style of Wilson....
WB0DRH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »

I don't have anything to gain by defending Tom, but I don't think you-all have reasonable expectations of him.  Look... the guy has retired and makes antennas in his spare time... and you might be lucky enough to get one.  He isn't good about answering emails and everyone knows this even back to his days at Force12.  The best way to get in touch with him is at a show or via telephone (he almost always answers).  I've got a ton of posts from those yahoos on the ELECRAFT that think N6BT owes them attention and an antenna just because they exist.  He's had personal problems (Father and partner passed recently).  Just let it go and build your own damn antenna.
NS0W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »

This antenna sounds like a Wilson SY-33 to me. The colour coding on traps sounds like Mosley though - but I always had the idea that the Wilson traps were just copies of the Mosley traps. I have a Wilson SY-33 in operation at the moment and I have a pdf version of the manual. Send me an email and I will mail you a copy of the manual.

73 de NS0W
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »

Yes, many parts resemble those used on Wilson System 33 (SY-33) model

Wilson System 33 Assembly & Owners manual
http://bama.edebris.com/download/wilson/sy33/Wilson%20System%2033%20manual.pdf

Quote from: W4KEN
After laying out the parts I can see that it doesn't look like a Hy-gain because of the following. It uses Large diameter single traps.
These are identified with color coded labels (RED, GREEN, BLUE-Radiator, etc.).
It doesn't have a "beta-match"-rather, it looks like the driven element is directly connected to the coax.
Look at SY-33 manual (above), same labeling that Wilson used.

BLUE - Reflector
RED - Driven Element
GREEN - Director

Need parts for restore your Wilson System Antenna?
http://www.antennapartsoutlet.com/Pages/Products/MacoParts.html
Catalog
http://www.antennapartsoutlet.com/files/2013_Maco_Parts_Catalog.pdf

MACO Antennas and Charles Electronics
302 S East Street
Mt Carroll, IL 61053
(815) 244-3500
Office Hours: 9-5 CST, Monday-Friday
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:31:04 PM by W9GB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: