Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 1278 Terminal Settings  (Read 2508 times)
KB9YNB

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2001, 11:13:02 AM »

I just borrowed one of these from a local ham.  He couldn't find the manual.

Could anyone give me the Terminal Settings and a way to reset the settings to default for this TNC?

I have tried several likely settings, and have been receiving garbage characters, but no readable text.

Thanks.  

KB9YNB
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2001, 06:49:16 PM »

First, the 1278 is a POS.  I bought one cheap and use it ONLY for Packet.  You can try AFSK modes, but the tones often need to be adjusted.

To get the thing running, load up the terminal program and set the com port to 8 bits, full duplex, none parity, stop bit 1 and 9600 baud.  Often 9600-8-1-n

Once the terminal program is setup and "operating" turn on the TNC.  There should be some garbage characters starting to appear.  Start hitting the "Enter" key repeatedly at a fast pace.  This should set the baud setting and get you going.  It will give you a setup (radio, mode, etc) and a cmd prompt. This is thier "autobaud" feature.  You can turn it off if you wish by typing "autobaud off" at the command prompt.

The packet commands are typical, but the mode cmds are unusual.  To get into VHF packet, at the cmd prompt, type "mode VP" and that will get you into packet.

That is the real bare-bones startup.  Email me if you need more info.

Jeremy N1ZZZ/4
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2001, 06:51:16 PM »

I forgot to mention the reset.  To reset EVERYTHING to the factory default, get to the command prompt and type "RESET"  That will clear everything.

Jeremy
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2001, 10:46:45 PM »

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/manuals.php
This link will get you all the manuals MFJ has available on line. They were going to try to have all there manuals available on line Aug-01 but I noticed that the 1278 was not covered but there is an upgrade manual for the 1278 to a 1278T. There are calibration instructions for calibrating the TNC. You WILL need to calibrate it. Also let the TNC run for 24 hours before you calibrate it. After you calibrate it leave it on forever. These things drift worse than cold boat anchor radios. You can download the 1270 TNC manual and use it on packet but unless you want lots of trouble don't use it for any other mode. If you do try and operate some of the digital modes on HF NEVER retune your VFO on your transceiver trying to track the received signal, only use your RIT control. The problem is the TNC calibration drifts so much while your operating. If you move both your transmit and receive frequencys the other station will lose you. If you use only the RIT control the other station will follow your transmit frequency and you can compensate on receive with your RIT receive only frequency control. If you really want to operate digital modes on the HF bands get a real TNC like a KAM or PK-232/PK-232MBX. The PK-232 is an older TNC and might never have been upgraded to pactor or even amtor. This is really no problem as old RTTY or Baudot mode is very popular on the HF bands. PSK-31 is also a fun mode and all you need for that is a computer with a sound blaster compatable sound card, an interface between your HF transceiver and the sound card and free software available for download on the net.
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2001, 08:04:49 AM »

First off, check http://www.qsl.net/ke4mob for some goodies.  This should help out some.

Now, tune to 20 meters around 14085, LSB and tune a strong RTTY signal.  At the "cmd" prompt type "mode hb, 45" hit enter, then a "k" and enter again.  You should be copying RTTY.  If not, then read the above pages.

I have been running a 1278 for 7 years.  It has its limitations, I'll admit.  It needs work to get it up and running correctly.  But last night, I worked KX5JF in Austin, TX on Pactor---at an S0 signal level.

I can usually be found on 20 meters most evenings running Pactor or RTTY.

Hope this helps,

Steve, KE4MOB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: