Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest logging question  (Read 2924 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:54:14 AM »

I am new to all this. Just got my antenna built (homemade buddistick) this weekend and got on 20 and 40 meters for a while Sat and Sun for the first time. I heard a lot of State qso parties and answered a few calls mainly to see if people could hear me and make sure things were working. 

I have some logging questions as I have not started logging yet for real. I would like to so I can keep track of states, countries etc.

I understand if I was participating in a State QSO party, I could use n1mm's software. However, how would I log answering other peopled requests for their participation? For example I answered some MI qso party folks, and a couple Rookie Roundup calls. Do I log those somehow? In my general log which I have not started yet? On a weekend like this, I wouldn't think I would need to log all those in separate programs . .

I did write down these contest contacts in a text file on my laptop but that's not a long term solution.  I have logged a couple general contacts in qrz.com logbook but I don't want to use that long term as I may not have an internet connection all the time . . .

I do have HRD installed on a laptop but it seems I also need a qrz subscription?? I know this is not really a contest question but if someone could answer, that would be nice.

AB1QP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »

You can have more than one contest file in a N1MM database file.
Set up your 1st QSO party. Then, set up the next one, etc.
When you click on "file" you will see the last few files you created, and can switch back and forth quickly.

I do all my contests in N1MM, and then export an adif file from it, and import that into HRD to keep HRD up to date as my master log.

There are discussions on how to do this on the web, and there is info in the N1MM documentation also.

If you don't have a QRZ subscription, I don't think HRD will connect to it for callsign lookup.

AB1QP
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:46:27 AM »

Welcome to Contesting! Here are some answers to your questions:

In contesting, you log contacts both when you answer some other station, or if you call CQ and they answer you. Logging software like N1MM works the same way for both.

ZS6AA has a nice contesting frequently asked questions website, look here.

The Contesting Compendium wiki also has a lot of good information, look here.

I don't know what part of Arkansas you are in, but the ARKANS ham group in NW AR puts on the Arkansas QSO Party later in the year, and might be a good group to join. Their web site is here.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:00:02 AM »

AD1QP:
I do all my contests in N1MM, and then export an adif file from it,
and import that into HRD to keep HRD up to date as my master log.

I do my contesting on WriteLOG for Windows.
Yeah, it's ancient but so am I.
I have exported and merged my ADIF files from 2002->Present
to HRD, a version I got a long time ago when it
was still free. HRD LOGBOOK says I have about 28k QSO's.
But when I "open" that log I can't see or access but
a couple hundred of them.
According to the "Analysis"
I am close to getting some long overdue wallpaper.
I KNOW they're there but I can't access/search the QSO's.

Am I missing some obvious Configuration Setup or something?
Would it be easier (more user friendly) if
I broke down and paid for the fancy version?

I just LOVE WriteLOG for contesting,
especially RTTY
(Always have, GREAT RTTY Contest
software! And seems like fewer guys are
writing patches for the new contests (fer WL).
But WL is getting long in the tooth. (Sometimes I
have problems with WriteLOG and Windows 7).
Runs FB on my XP machine...go figure.

Any "Ex WriteLOGGERS" recommend something
similar they like better? Or something little mentioned
besides HRD, N1MM, etc? Time to teachan old dog
some new tricks?

It's late, probably should of posted this after a
good nights sleep, haha!
73, Ken  AD6KA
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:18:34 AM »

Welcome to Contesting! Here are some answers to your questions:

In contesting, you log contacts both when you answer some other station, or if you call CQ and they answer you. Logging software like N1MM works the same way for both.

ZS6AA has a nice contesting frequently asked questions website, look here.

The Contesting Compendium wiki also has a lot of good information, look here.

I don't know what part of Arkansas you are in, but the ARKANS ham group in NW AR puts on the Arkansas QSO Party later in the year, and might be a good group to join. Their web site is here.

73 John K3TN

Thanks for the info . . . I am in NW Arkansas. I belong to a local club but it's different than Arkanhams. I might go visit a meeting of their's as it's about 20 miles away.

So I guess I understand I log but the outstanding question is this: If I use N1MM's software and I am answering QSO party calls from say Michigan and Florida on the same day, do I log those to different "logs" or files in N1MM or log them in the same log file? Not knowing anything about N1MM software I don't know how it works yet. I'll download it this week and play with it.

The I assume I would submit the logs to the same place as the participants following those instructions?

I still have a lot to learn. I have to figure out LOTW also but that's another day.

Wayne

N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:25:56 PM »

If I use N1MM's software and I am answering QSO party calls from say Michigan and Florida on the same day, do I log those to different "logs" or files in N1MM or log them in the same log file?

This would be rather unlikely seeing as the Michigan and Florida QSO parties are on separate days. There are some QSO parties that overlap, and in these cases you would want to log them in separate logs in N1MM, assuming you are going to submit a log to each. A notable exception is the 7th Area QSO Party, New England QSO Party, and Indiana QSO party that all occur the same weekend (a week from Saturday). N1MM can handle all three using the same log (select IN7QPNE under QSO Party in the contest setup screen) - you simply log the exchange from any of the contacts you make and it will log them appropriately. You can send the same log to all three QSO Party sponsors and they'll sort it out appropriately.

Now if you are operating in the Arkansas QSO Party in September, you would log everything to one log and submit the log according to the rules. N1MM will keep track of scoring, multipliers, duplicate calls, etc. It's pretty slick once you figure it out. Details at http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Setup+QSO+Parties+-+CW+and+SSB

The I assume I would submit the logs to the same place as the participants following those instructions?

Right. Each QSO Party will have a separate submission process. You'll typically generate a Cabrillo file for each QSO Party (or one log for IN/7QP/NE) and e-mail or upload them according to the instructions.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »

Thank you! That helps

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 05:21:45 AM »

A subscription to QRZ is not an absolutely essential requirement in order to use HRD. I use the free version and I type in all the contact information by hand.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: