Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Band Antenna(s) for 2 meter and 6 meter SSB  (Read 2423 times)
AK4SK

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »

I'd like to make go at the world of VHF SSB. My understanding is that horizontally polarized antennas are best for this (let me know if this is not correct). That being said I'm looking for an antenna design (or pair of antennas that I can stack) that is suited for VHF SSB on both the 2 and 6 meters bands.

AK4SK
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »

Yes, you are correct, you ideally want to be using horizontal polarisation for SSB work, as this is the accepted standard. If you use vertical, be aware that the cross polarisation will put you around 20dB down.

Also, unless you use an omnidirectional horizontal antenna, such as a halo, you will need a rotator.

That said, my 6m beam (3 el) is on a fixed bearing towards europe, which works fine for me being in the UK

I cant help with a combined design, but for very simple and very effective antennas to build, take a look at DK7ZB's webiste http://www.qsl.net/dk7zb/start1.htm My portable 2m beams are to his designs, and they are very forgiving. Also, Martin is very helpful if you need to adjust the design a bit to suit the materials you have

AK4SK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:44:33 AM »

Thanks for the info and the link. I'd like an omnidirectional antenna to start with just to see what is going on at first.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »

A halo will give you easy horizontal polarisation just to have a look around with. Onmidirectional but no gain, but its incredibly easy to build one.

Once you start using SSB on 2m or 6m, you will soon want a beam!

KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »

Here's something that has been around the block a few times here on eHam. Built a bunch of these sometime back from the link provided here.

http://www.eham.net/articles/4319

Always fun to build ur own. Yep! A beam is better. Grin

73 de KG6WLS
AK4SK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »

Great! Thanks for the link.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »

MFJ makes a dualband 6m/2m antenna. On 6m it functions and a rotatable dipole.  On 2m it is stacked 5/8 waves, which will give a little gain.  It costs $60 or so new. 

John AF5CC
AK4SK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »

MFJ makes a dualband 6m/2m antenna. On 6m it functions and a rotatable dipole.  On 2m it is stacked 5/8 waves, which will give a little gain.  It costs $60 or so new. 

John AF5CC

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.
KD8TZC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »

Just get some wire and make a fan dipole.  Quick and simple and I bet you already have the wire at home.  You will need about 3' 3" for the 2Meter band (cut in half for each quarter wave), and 9' 5" for the 6M band (also cut in half).  If you want to get fancy, you can always get a 1:1 balun to attach your coax and wire all together but that isn't even needed.

John - KD8TZC
AK4SK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »

Just get some wire and make a fan dipole.  Quick and simple and I bet you already have the wire at home.  You will need about 3' 3" for the 2Meter band (cut in half for each quarter wave), and 9' 5" for the 6M band (also cut in half).  If you want to get fancy, you can always get a 1:1 balun to attach your coax and wire all together but that isn't even needed.

I think I just might try this first!
WA8ZYT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

Don't screw around with mediocre antennas on 6 and 2 or you will be disappointed. I recommend at least a 5 elements on 6 and a 9 element for 2 meters, such as the M2, or Innov 9 element LFA.

You won't hear jack with a dipole on either band.
KD8TZC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:49:56 PM »

I beg to differ... you can hear just about anything with a coat hanger...been there and done that with scanners and other items.  Not ideal, but they work.

I use a 10M dipole and have listened with it on 40M and have heard Afghanistan at night (listening to CW).  I have also worked voice with the Canary Islands and also Brazil on my 10M dipole.  It may not be as cool as a some of the multi-element antenna's but they get the job done and are simple enough to make and experiment with.  That's what HAM radio is all about anyhow.

John

John - KD8TZC
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 07:57:35 PM »

That is pretty true for 2m, but not for 6m.  I have gotten VUCC on 6m with an indoor dipole and  worked Puerto Rico and Costa Rica with a mag mount mobile whip on 6m. During a good Es opening on 6 you can work a lot with a dipole.  It isn't going to outperform a yagi, but it can still be a lot of fun!

John AF5CC
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »

That is pretty true for 2m, but not for 6m.  I have gotten VUCC on 6m with an indoor dipole and  worked Puerto Rico and Costa Rica with a mag mount mobile whip on 6m. During a good Es opening on 6 you can work a lot with a dipole.  It isn't going to outperform a yagi, but it can still be a lot of fun!

John AF5CC

I've been active on VHF weak signal modes for about 45 years and surely agree that when the 6m band is "open," a lot can be done with very little.

However, for the other 95% of the time when the band is not open, small antennas -- especially vertical ones -- typically yield a lot of "nothing heard here."

An interesting and somewhat eye-opening test which I've demonstrated hundreds of times is this one I run at home:

6m loop at 30 feet; Cushcraft Ringo vertical antenna at 30 feet; 7 element horizontally polarized beam on telescoping tower whose height I can change from about 28 feet to 65 feet by telescoping or nesting the tower.  All low-loss feedlines brought to a 4-position antenna switch, so antenna changes can be made in less than a second.

Tune around with the beam at 65 feet, and with various beam headings, I can hear six 6m beacons 24 hours a day, regardless of propagation.  (When the band's open, of course, there are many more in various directions depending on conditions at the moment.)  But those six vary in distance from about 60 miles to about 300 miles, and they're always readable.

Now, switch to the loop:  Two beacons can be heard, weakly, not nearly as well as with the beam.

Now, switch to the vertical:  One beacon can be heard, very weakly.

Works this way every single day.

The antennas all "work," but the beam's advantage is so obvious that many are astounded.

So, on an average day with no special conditions (no sporadic-E, no any kind of ionospheric propagation), just tropo, I can "work" stations in about a 300 mile radius (about 283,000 square mile area).  On the same average day, I can "work" stations in about a 60 mile radius using the loop (about 11,000 square mile area).  The difference in the number of stations that might be workable is a ratio of 283/11, or nearly 26 to one, in favor of the beam.

That's why if 6m is "pretty quiet" using the beam, it can sound "abolustely dead" with a loop. Wink

AK4SK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »

Thanks for all the other replies.

Chris
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: