Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choices to improve antennas  (Read 395 times)
NO9E

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »

I have a 2 el 5 band quad on a 8ft GM tower on top of the house. The quad is doing well over 15 years requiring only minor maintenance; the maintenance is easy as quad elements are easily accessible from the roof.  The house is on a  sloping terrain with the backyard about 10 ft below the front yard. So the antenna height is 33 ft at front (towards South) and 43 ft at back (towards North). 20m is clearly not competitive although working very well.

The question is how to upgrade the antenna. Local ordinances allow for up to 60 ft tower located at least 15 ft from property limits. Lots of trees up to 80 ft. Probably will have to replace the quad with SteppIR as the maintenance of the quad with other options will be difficult.

The first option is getting a 18 ft Glen Martin roof tower. Cost about $1200. Will the performance improve with the extra 10ft? Is it a danger to the roof?

The second option is aluminum 60 ft tower in front of the house.  Can gain 30 ft in height at a cost of about $4000. Includes the tower, concrete, new rotor... My wife is not really happy with the tower up front.

The third option is getting a  new property. $50,000 to $300,000! But our current property is in a comfortable location.

Any suggestions or options? How much difference in height will be noticed? Is it worthwhile to replace the quad by 3 el SteppIR?   

Ignacy, NO9E

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: