Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BEWARE!!! W7UTE is NOT Wade C Jones, it might be a scammer  (Read 1263 times)
DH5AK

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2013, 07:51:59 AM »

I am looking for a small linear amp named HL-50B and placed an advert here in eham. A person using the callsign W7UTE offered this linear for an interesting price. Anyway, I mistrusted this offer somehow, looked for the postal address of W7UTE here in eham, looked for his phone number in the white pages online and called Wade by phone. Wade explained that his callsign is KI7RR now and he did not offer this amplfier to me.

I decided to forward all mails I have exchanged with this scammer to Wade and recommended to place a complaint to the IC3 of the FBI that this person made a fraud attempt and abused his identity for this!

We are a community and we NEED to help each other!

73 de Andy DH5AK
DH5AK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »

I have just finished a complaint in the IC3 of the FBI.

73 de Andy DH5AK

Let's make the way of the scammers as impassible as we can, OK?
And, let's do not forget to help others!!!

DH5AK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »

yes, all in all the headline of this topic IS wrong:

W7UTE really is Wade C. Jones !

BUT someone else uses his callsign in fraud attemps!

BE AWARE!

73 de Andy DH5AK
ZS6U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »

Hi all,

I have been scammed by this guy too, we'll almost, I think!!
I placed an ad in South Africa looking for a Dual Band mobile. I received an e-mail signed Tim Samaras WJ0G stating he has a nice IC207 for sale and to e-mail him if I'm interested which I duly did. We swapped e-mails and agreed on a price. I then googled WJ0G and was surprised to learn that Tim Samaras' key went silent less than a week ago.

When I questioned this he said he was a friend of Tim's and that he was actually W7UTE but was E-mailing from wj0g@hotmail.com with the header Timothy m samaras.

I paid for the rig through Western Union but had a nagging feeling something was wrong. I googled W7UTE again and saw the warnings of a potential scammer using that call. I managed to put the WU payment on hold, hopefully I'll get a refund from the local agency.

Beware indeed.

Charles ZS6U
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: