Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 Help  (Read 1262 times)
KC2IFH

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2001, 01:27:46 PM »

I would like to know how to set up a IC-706 MK2G for PSK31.  I got the recive to work and can recive stations all around the world but, I don't know how to set it up for transmit.  I have DigiPan 1.6 I believe.  I don't understand how to set up the T/R link.  Any help and diagrams would be nice.  I am usally on 20m from 5:00 EST to 12:00 EST listening on PSk31.  Looks very ineresting and would like to try it.
73's
Thanks All in advance
KC2IFH
Alex
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2001, 07:46:13 PM »

Hello Alex,

Go to Buck Rodgers site: http://www.packetradio.com/psk31.htm
He has interface diagrams for all popular transcievers.  Build your own, buy the kit or have one made up. Clicking on the T/R button on the DigiPan bar will tansmit or receive.  
Here is another page for setting up PSK31: http://www.waypoint.com/users/~discobay/section_7.htm
Hope to see you on PSK31 soon.

Jerry
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2001, 08:41:26 AM »

Hi!

I work PSK portable and /MM as well as from Ascension Island all on the 706MK2G.  Here is what I do:

I took that accessory plug that came with the radio and wired it up to a homebrew interface.  The circuit is in the Digipan help file and requires wires, 2 stereo plugs, a serial plug, a few resistors, a transistor, and a diode.  Next break out the Icom manual and get the color codes for all of the pigtails.  Solder the correct pigtails to the circuit, and plug the accessory plug into the rig, the the two audio connectors and the serial plug into your computer and you are good to go.

A few notes however.  Unplug the mic when you use the interface as Icom has the bad habit of keying the mic plug along with the accessory circuit.  Stray audio from the mic will cause the signal to be overdriven which is a no-no in PSK.

The accessory port has fixed audio in and out, so the mic gain has no effect on the signal.  I leave the power level at "H" and adjust the audio drive from my laptop to keep the signal clean, and adust the power out.  Keep the "ALC" setting on the meter to ensure that the signal is clean.  If the radio kicks in the ALC, reduce the volume out of the soundcard until it disappears.

One last thing, the 706 is a pretty compact radio, obviously, and PSK is a 100% duty cycle mode, so I would recommend to keep the power out lower than 50 watts.  I again control this by soundcard drive rather than radio settings.  This ensures I have a good, clean signals.

I can answer any other questions if you catch me today or tommorrow.  I am taking that rig to sea with me Monday.

GL, 73

Jeremy N1ZZZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: