Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Argosy II IF  (Read 3098 times)
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2013, 06:39:58 AM »

I have an Argosy II with limited space antennas. I have managed to put up a 40m dipole, but is only 5 ft off the deck, as there are restrictions.

I was looking at the International Radio IF filters "1800 Hz 9001.5 kHz SSB 8-pole" and the "2100 Hz 9001.5 kHz SSB 8-pole". Has anybody used these? Will they actually help the selectivity with weak signals? What other things will they do for me?

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:30:22 AM »

The filters will help if your ability to hear other stations is limited by strong signals on
adjacent frequencies.  For most of us, other than DX pileups and contests, that isn't often
the case.  If you are struggling to pick out weak signals between AM BC stations on 40m,
the narrower filter will help to reduce the strength of the hetrodynes.  But if the limiting
factor is overall noise floor or garbage from the TV next door that is on the same
frequency as the signal you are trying to hear, it won't help.

I have the original Argosy 525 and replaced the stock 4-pole SSB filter with an 8-pole
filter.  It does help when there is another conversation 3kHz up the band, as I hear less
of it.  It doesn't help when the interfering station is only 1kHz away from the station I'm
trying to copy, however, as it is still in the passband either way.

The narrower 1.8kHz filter trims a bit more off the frequency response, and is typically
adjusted for a little less base response, since those frequencies add little to overall
intelligibility.  It doesn't sound quite as natural, however.

If your Argosy II already has an 8-pole filter in the IF, then the difference will be small
unless you operate a lot when the band is crowded.  If you have a 4-pole filter then
there will be more of an improvement in reducing interference from adjacent stations.
But if the problem in general is that signals are weak because your antenna is poor, then
the filters don't do much to help that.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »

You don't need a filter. 

You need an antenna. 

KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »

You don't need a filter.  You need an antenna

I can’t understand why Hams love filters so much. In a contest and wall to wall signals they do help, but can make listening fatiguing.
Like driving with the wipers /on when it’s a clear day. I use them rarely, because the pass band is narrow enough on the Argosy.
I sure don’t dig out signals any better. Now a better antenna would do just that. Oh want a fun radio and I use a D-104 on mine.

GL,KW6LA
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »

I come from a direction of being an observer for too long. I grew up in V02 country, where propagation was like a wild fire. From a child, my father introduced me to sounds from a heathkit and some radio rescued from a b-52. I never got my license until 92 and my wife did not even know I had one. Since then, I have never been able to put anything up in HF due to restrictions.

This puts me at a steep learning curve with things that clearly makes sense to others. Bare with me.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »

We'll bear with you, but your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to research ways to better get a skyhook in the clear and still not get into trouble. 

It is possible. 

Stealth antennas

Magnetic Loop antennas

Vertical disguised as flagpole (with plenty of hidden radials under the sod)

You can do it.

VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »

That mfj high q loop is looking real nice right now.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: