Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NVIS QRP  (Read 4496 times)
N1NQC

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »

Hey All,

I just got my General a few weeks  ago . I am now taking advantage of my voice privileges within  40 M on an "involuntary" NVIS (LOW) 40 M horizontal Vee shaped   dipole  15' over a flat apt. roof .I also need  to run QRP (4 W @ ant ) from the IC 735 due to building  fire alarm  issues.

It  has been a LOT of fun, punching through R-3 blackouts at up to S-9 + 5 or +10 anywhere from 150 to 250 Mi + away. I've had some GREAT long and fairly  stable  QSO's ( I'm a rag  chewer anyways, and  NOT the "you're  5/9/73's " type- if I can avoid  it).

I have done ULTRA QRP work( as  low  as single  milliwatts)  on V/UHF SSB/FM and loved it.

On 10 M I've run 5 watts  (at times) , but with   the "lower" angle sky wave  of 28 Mhz  at , say 1000 mi, things often  tend to be much more of a QSB "roller coaster". The STABILITY of CLOSE IN 40 M NVIS has impressed the heck out  of me, even during daylight.

Now I gotta brush up my Morse  some and get back  into some CW QRP contacts.

de N1NQC
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 04:40:32 PM »

You make a good point. Sometimes I tend to think....NVIS....not much of an antenna. For QRP it can actually work well.
I lived in ND for a couple of years and all I could get up was NVIS (although I just called it a "low antenna"). First time I fired up the Argonaut I was skeptical but had a blast with it and the Argo was my only rig. I even had great luck running SSB at times. And, yeah, rag chews. It gave me very reliable coverage throughout the midwest and I could hit the coasts when the propagation was good and the wind was at my back. I've been thinking lately about "throwing something up" for 40 and 20 as an alternative to the vertical.

So congrats. Hey any antenna is better than sitting home watching reality TV!!   Grin

73 Doc WB0FDJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: