Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packet using 2m FM HT?  (Read 2490 times)
KC8SBV

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2001, 04:50:09 PM »

I have installed sv2agw and winpack installed on my PC.  I made a cable to connect the output from my HT to the line in on my soundcard.  In the sv2agw properties, I selected the soundcard as my TNC.  When I scan the possible frequncies, I cannot monitor or find any existing traffic.

Can anyone see right off what I am missing?

Thanks

Ed KC8SVB
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2001, 05:40:51 PM »

Have you also installed AGWTERMINAL?  You will need to use that to read messages on Packet.
The terminal program is on the same site as you downloaded the Packet Engine program.
Once installed, start the Packet Engine program and then load up the Terminal program to read or send
messages.  

Jerry
KC8SBV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2001, 12:11:54 PM »

I installed the termal program.  It does one thing that I would expect it to do, it creates the modem like sounds over my computers speakers when I type into the keyboard.  This leads me to believe that there is no packet activity in my area, I still can't monitor anything.

I talked to a guy who told me that there was lots of BBS activity on 145.090, but I cannot hear it on my HT, nor monitor in my terminal application.

I am going to have to see demonstated somewhere.
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2001, 01:54:05 PM »

If your close to a digipeater that has APRS messages you might be able to pick the digipeater up on a HT at 144.390 Map of digipeaters is at: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/digis.html
You may also be able to pick up the packet download from the ISS at 145.800 when it is close to your QTH.  I use SatScape - freeware and it gives the approximate doppler shift to listen, if you tune in 5 Khz steps that should be close.  
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2001, 03:08:38 AM »

I don't mean to be insulting, but you do have an external antenna?
Jim
KC8SBV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2001, 01:16:22 PM »

Insulting? With a call sign like mine, many can tell that I am a new ham, making your question logical to ask.

The HT has a 5/8 wave antenna, good antenna, but extremely cumbersome.  I am installing an external 5/8 wave Q Stick made locally here, comes with 3 1/4w radials.  Sensitivity will increase, and might help.  

When it is up, I will monitor 144.390 and check my sanity again.
KF4DVG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2001, 09:20:56 PM »

Ok -  still having problems or is your setup working now?

Here are a couple of links to work with-

http://www.tapr.org/directory/us/mi.html
------A regional site for packet info in MI

www.qsl.net/soundcardpacket/
------info on soundcard packet and manual. Seems as though I saw somewhere where when you use the soundcard packet, you have to have a reasonable fast computer to make it work ok. Hmmmm

also----- www.artscipub.com
-------for repeater info (voice and data)

and----www.tawg.org
------tri-state site for digital modes-  nice site with alot of good info/links

And finally- sometimes the HTX202 doesn't hear quite as well as other radios.  When I use it for packet with my tigertronics baypac modem, I have to really crank the audio to make it pick up the packets well.  The radio works great while using the same modem and AGW packet engine and Ui-view for use with APRS.

Good Luck

Bob

N8TNJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2001, 11:05:59 AM »

Had I same problem with the 202, tried everything from MFJ to Tigertronics. Bought a used Kenwood mobile and was up and running packet in about 10 min. Tigertonics instructions state the 202 does not work very well for packet work. Try to find a different radio to use your packet setup on. Goodluck!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: