Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood DSP-100  (Read 2020 times)
KB3TUO

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »

Hi all,

I recently received a DSP-100 unit as part of a collection from an SK.   Having no cables to interface it to my TS-450, I purchased a 13 pin DIN from Buxcomm.  This cable only has one connector, the other side is bare wire.  So, I purchased the appropriate connector and soldered the wires "straight through" meaning each pin on one end is continuous with the same pin on the other end.  I did have a five pin DIN cable lying around, so I used that one too.  The other two cables were just RCAs (everyone has those). 

So, I plugged all this stuff into the radio as directed, and nothing happened.  The DSP-100 turned on, but there was no change in audio. 

Then, I got curious.  I took a look at the TS-450 service manual.  In it, is a series of menus that can be accessed by holding certain buttons down and turning the rig on.  One of them has a way to force the radio to work with the DSP-100.

This time, there was a change in audio when the DSP-100 was turned on, but I felt like I shouldn't have to use a power-on menu just to get it to work.

The unit also seems to shift the receive frequency, that is, I can tune in a CW signal, then turn the DSP-100 on and the signal has moved up a few kcs.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Is there something I'm missing? Are the original Kenwood cables wired in some other way?

Any information that any one has would be greatly appreciated.

73, Dan/KB3TUO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: