Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buzzards  (Read 2084 times)
W5LXS

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »

Have any of you had experience with discouraging buzzards from roosting on your antennas? I have a TA-33 I'd like to put up but we have urbanized buzzards roosting about a block away and I don't want them over here. I've also thought about selling the Mosley and going with a hex beam. Any thoughts?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »

Birds may even try to land (and successfully) on the Hexbeam; if not the wires themselves, then the spreaders.

I've found a large (full sized) model Owl installed atop the mast supporting beams seems to discourage them.  I don't know why, but it works pretty well.  So well that some ham radio stores sell the model Owls which are made for mast mounting.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:18:01 PM »

I have 5 acres of mixed hardwoods and pines and a group of buzzards roost there so often the ground has white spots. They have not roosted on my 5 band hex beam. I would probably have to talk to them if they did but nothing serious, just a warning not to come back.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »

Buzzards have fairly large feet and probably can't grasp the wires on a hexbeam very
well.   Since the poles on a hex are tilted upwards (and are slick) they don't make very good
perches.  I rarely ever see any birds roosting or resting on my Hex.  Of course buzzards in
the city of Austin are rare and most are just soaring looking for food.  We have plenty of
Grackles, doves, and pidgeons and other birds but they most roost in trees and.
Buzzards aren't very nice to mess with as they will fly off and puke on you on the way.

Allen KA5N
W5LXS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts. One of our locals tried the owl trick but he's now a silent key so I can't ask him how effective it was. I had the idea that hex beam spreaders wouldn't make good perches and the wires would be too small and I'm glad that seems to be the case. Yes, buzzards are nasty creatures and I'm going to try and convince our health department that they pose health hazard. Unfortunately, they are covered under the Federal Migratory Bird Act and there are limits to what can be done. I'd love to convince the Feds that there is no shortage of country buzzards in Texas and that they don't belong in cities...
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:09:58 AM »

The plastic owl routine may or may not do the trick for you.  Some swear by them.  However when I was still working with radar systems we had a test facility with four very large test pads, 25' square platforms about 65' in the air.  We had a constant problem having to clean up and (in some cases) retouch the paint on brand new multi-million dollar systems thanks to the presents left behind by the local bird population.  We had plastic owls with heads that would rotate in the wind on each of the towers.  The Test Faciolity Manager swears he's seen some of the smaller birds try to mate with them!

Don, K2DC
N8BOA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:32:35 AM »

This reminds me of my RV rig story. I placed 6 18" standoffs that supported a 58 foot loop on the roof or the RV and tune it with a Remote Antenna Tuner. On one of our trips we ended up in Key West. The next morning drinking my 1st cup of joe next to the water an old timer came over look at my RV and said that looks like it works pretty well. I'll have to give it a try. Of course I thought he must be a ham, Yep I said it talks pretty good. Yea his said you don't have a single Pelican on your rig. I looked down the line of RVs and sure enough My rig was the only one that was clear of Pelicans. 
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:57:46 AM »

Any type of non conductive support arms you can configure with mono filament or weed whacker line strung or hung between will prevent any large birds from landing,we use these on roofs ,chimneys,towers in coastal Maine to keep the seagulls away.
W5LXS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:38:12 AM »

The rotating head idea sounds good because I understand many things work for a while but once they realize there's no danger, they go about their business as usual. Regarding the lines; do you think dacron guy rope would work? Trimmer and mono filament lines are strong but I doubt they resist UV and it wouldn't be good having to pull the yagi down to restring the elements. Thanks!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »

Nothing wrong with dacron guy rope other than probably being a little more visible.I see your point about the UV in the Texas sunshine,we don't have that problem up here and get about 2-3 yrs. out of trimmer line.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:47:53 PM »

Try some of this, there is a similar product in NZ that is used to stop birds roosting in sheds.

http://www.hotfoot.com/gel-pd.html

I have not tried it, we use other methods to control the hundreds of sparrows that try and get a free feed.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »

Thats what 308's are made for, 12ga's just bounce off buzzards I know I lived in South Texas once and the buzzards at our deer lease were a pain in the butt and yes they will puke on you and it smells to high heck. When did they go into a protected Species??? There are more Buzzards in South Texas than there are Bald Eagles in the whole USA including Alaska.
K9KUZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »

I'm in a very heavy populated buzzard area. My TA-34 at 100' was up for 10 years with no problems caused by the birds, and they roosted there many times, sometimes up to 8 of them. When I wanted them gone I just turned the rotator a bit.
W5LXS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 08:57:52 PM »

I don't know when they became a protected species but they sure are. I know of a gentlemen who shot some of them off of an AT&T microwave tower years ago and got in big trouble. I'll look into the hot stuff. No, I don't think they would damage the antenna but I don't want them with their droppings, vomit, and fur balls over our back yard. Thanks!
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »

take up falconry as a secondary hobby ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: